Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let Go of the Olys and Get On with the Worlds

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    I am looking forward to this years Worlds very much! Gosh, how will the judges know what to do or how to score without some of the heavyweight Russians there??! As much as I like Plushenko, I haven't liked his programs the last 2 seasons. IMO, N/K have been overmarked...loved the Pink Panther FD, but I haven't liked anything since...or should I say, no other program of theirs have pulled me in...likewise for Irina, high jumps and great energy are fine, but I have never been pulled into one of her programs. I won't miss T/M, zzzzzzzzzz, at all!

I think there will be more excitement at this years Worlds than the Olympics! I cannot wait for it all to play out! What will be the make-up of the podiums?

My biggest wish for Worlds is for Matt Savoie. Can he skate his best AND be rewarded? I would love to see him medal!

eliza88

Down With It
    I respect people's opinion, but sorry- there is simply NO way the Worlds can even come close to matching the intensity of Olympic competition. IMO of course

Custom Title
    There might not be the intensity of competition, but there might be more room for suprises. The Olympics didn't deliver many thrills. With the OGMs out, who knows what can happen. It definitely makes for a better watch when there is no certainty about the podium.

Intensity? The prohibitive favorites in three disciplines won with ho-hum performances and no competition.

In ladies, the gold medal performance was lovely but eh?, the silver medallist fell twice, and the bronze medallist gave the worse performance of her career but still won a prize.

The President of the ISU reacted to the Olympics with, "It's not my fault there's no talent in the sport any more -- blame the federations."

Bring on Worlds!

MM

While watching the fragmented coverage of the Olympics between other sports, I will very much appreciate watching a skating event that is continuous. Worlds is usually an interesting event as it provides the venue for so many hard working skaters to strutt their stuff. Not every performance wins medals, in fact few do. I still enjoy the other skaters and appreciate their effort.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    The Olympics didn't deliver many thrills.
    yeah, that's true also. But then again, I could care less about the other three disciplines, in which the favorites won, and no surprises there.

I think that's the difference between skating fanatics and just the casual fan...

personally I like to be a skating fanatic... the Worlds after the olys basically showcases what's to come and the new stars for the next four years...

Bring it on, baby!!!! GO Lysacek!

Go Matthews and Zavozin!

Custom Title
    **never mind, find the answer in another thread**
    Last edited by mzheng; 03-10-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Sasha is certainly the favorite in ladies and she really can't lose. All the rest of the competitions will be up for grabs. I doubt you will see any Russians on the podium this time.

Down With It
    this is getting good. Guys, never count your chickens before they're hatched...

Hopefully there is another competitor down in the wings waiting to have a clean performance, hopefully the performance of her life.

I think Rochette has a chance to win the whole thing.

In her Olympic free skate she beat Cohen, Slutskaya and Suguri in tech scores. In Calgary, home cooking ought be give her an extra .5 across the board on the presentation side.

Can't wait for the Marshall's apres skate. It's the final one of the season and the one which is the most important in all of figure skating.

Will Michelle make a comeback?

Joe

Custom Title
    I think with some of the top contenders out, Sasha will probably have this world title. I am hoping for a better competition then the long programs at the olympics (that was really bad). I hope Fumie can win or at least medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Can't wait for the Marshall's apres skate. It's the final one of the season and the one which is the most important in all of figure skating.
    Now you're talking, Joe, LOL. Anyway, it has the biggest purse.

Maybe Michelle can be persuaded to drag her weary bones onto the ice, provided they make it an audience vote kind of thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast