Sasha Cohen not on cover of Sport's Illustrated | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen not on cover of Sport's Illustrated

Johar

Medalist
I was hoping she would get the cover since she won Silver. She did make the inside of the magazine, though.

tarotx

On the Ice
Johar said:
I was hoping she would get the cover since she won Silver. She did make the inside of the magazine, though.

People actually won gold medals so of course Sasha isn't on the cover. Any way I wouldn't want her on the cover this close to worlds:p

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Johar said:
Would it have jinxed her? :)

The "jinx" of being on the Sports Illustrated cover is rather infamous. MK was on the cover (I think) before Nagano, and she was lucky -- she only lost. Athletes have been on the cover and either the athlete or a family member has gotten sick or seriously hurt.

Johar

Medalist
I would've like it had Shiz made the cover, but since she is non-American I wasn't counting on it. SI tnds to focus on American sportsmen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah...couldn't it only be a good thing she's not on the cover? Besides, she doesn't deserve to be on the cover, anyway. It's only for OGM winners.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Johar said:
I would've like it had Shiz made the cover, but since she is non-American I wasn't counting on it. SI tnds to focus on American sportsmen.

It's an American magazine, so makes sense, no?

Red Dog said:
It's only for OGM winners.
Sports Illustrated is only for Olympic gold medallists???

So who is on the cover, the North Carolina men's basketball team that just knocked off the number one Duke Blue Devils?

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
ah, you know what I mean. As far as OLYMPIC SPORTS go, only OGMs go on the cover, ok? :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
SI used to cover a large variety of sports on a regular basis, including figure skating. Now they focus mainly on baseball, basketball and football.

They used to have a large supplemental Olympic issue but they don't do that anymore.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's true, MM :laugh:

And if I hadn't been keeping up with skating, I'd have thought it was her, too (probably)...

Oh...did you know that "Shizuka Arakawa" was the 6th most searched query on Google in the US the week of the ladies figure skating? ("Sasha Cohen" was first.)

LBC

On the Ice
The jinx is still on. Who was on the cover of SI before the olympics?
Bode Miller. There were other skiers too but I can't remember which.