SNL made fun of Sasha Cohen | Golden Skate

SNL made fun of Sasha Cohen

Johar

Medalist
Did anybody catch Saturday Night Live last night? I was barely awake, but on Weekend Update Natalie Portman stepped out twice dressed as Sasha Cohen. On the 2nd appearance she "fell."

R.D.

Record Breaker
well she deserves to be made fun of :laugh:

j/k. No, I never watch SNL.

Vash01

Medalist
Only in this picture..... Normally Natalie looks quite different and more beautiful than Sasha (I am not denying that Sasha is beautiful). Natalie has a very intelligent face (again, I am not implying that Sasha is not intelligent).

Vash

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Only in this picture..... Normally Natalie looks quite different and more beautiful than Sasha (I am not denying that Sasha is beautiful). Natalie has a very intelligent face (again, I am not implying that Sasha is not intelligent).

Vash

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
well she deserves to be made fun of :laugh:

j/k. No, I never watch SNL.

When they do a skit on you on SNL that means you're famous!

She deserves to be made fun of? That's interesting coming from someone who hangs out over at the Sasha fan site. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sure I hang out at SF...and ISFF, and FSU, and (god forbid) MKF occasionally, and GS, and many other places.

R.D.

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
When they do a skit on you on SNL that means you're famous!

Not famous per se, but famous for what she DID...:biggrin: face it, people will remember her for falling. Those are all the comedies I've seen out there- they center on her falling. Maybe a couple will try to "glamorize" it by saying she closed strong.

Linny

Final Flight
Her next steps

Sasha has many more steps in her skating career. Whether or not she is remembered by her Oly silver with a fall performance will depend on whether or not she does anything else memorable in the future. After Victor Petronko fell during his Oly gold performance, but he's remembered best for dancing with a doll.

Linny

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Not famous per se, but famous for what she DID...:biggrin: face it, people will remember her for falling. Those are all the comedies I've seen out there- they center on her falling. Maybe a couple will try to "glamorize" it by saying she closed strong.

RedDog, I would have to disagree with you on this one. Look at the thread on skaters falling at the Olympics. Were they all remembered for falling, I don't think so. :)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
millie said:
RedDog, I would have to disagree with you on this one. Look at the thread on skaters falling at the Olympics. Were they all remembered for falling, I don't think so. :)

I agree. I think most casual viewers will remember her for her extension. The BC spin seems to get a great many comments.

I must be getting old. I watch SNL and think about how much better it used to be.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

You face it-she's FAMOUS now like it or not. She has been noticed and she's only going to benefit from the attention. In spite of some of her detractors who wish her the worst. She won Olympic Silver and they're is nothing you, or anyone who hates her can do about it. Deal.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
millie said:

Exactly. But some people like RD apparently resent Sasha, and anything good that may come her way. Too bad for them. Those people really need to let the old hatred go, and get over it already. It's boring.

soogar

Record Breaker
ladysarahchatto said:
Exactly. But some people like RD apparently resent Sasha, and anything good that may come her way. Too bad for them. Those people really need to let the old hatred go, and get over it already. It's boring.

No Red Dog is Sasha's biggest fan. He just doesn't want to come out of the closet. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, to some people I'm the closet Sasha fan, yet to others I'm her biggest detractor. Well, take your pick.

Remember that it's the week after the Olys, so of course she's going to get the attention. But NO WAY is she going to be another Michelle Kwan who gets recognized outside of skating circles even in NON-OLYMPIC years.

She may be another Tara Lipinski in the case that she certainly is a red-carpet *****. I don't even know if she has that much name recognition.

But then, who knows?

efreedman

On the Ice
Natalie Has An Intelligent Face

Vash01 said:

Vash

Just an aside; Natalie graduated from Harvard.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Sasha may be remembered for a falling Olympic silver performance, but didn't Kristi Yamaguchi fall with a Olympic gold performance?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Sasha should get credit where credit is due - has everyone forgotten her short program performance which launched her into first place going into the final free skate? That does make her worthy of receiving the Silver medal - despite her falls.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just don't watch SNL but for some reason, changing channels, I did see that little bit. I just never cared much for that kind of show. Usually, I love comedy but over the years I have found that I just can't hack making fun of people. That's the biggest reason I don't watch Leno, etc. I just have a problem with comedians that make fun of people. I remember when I was in school that the city kids made fun of "country kids" and other things and it hurts way too much. If they're real comedians there's lots of other things to make fun of.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Ladskater said:
I think Sasha should get credit where credit is due - has everyone forgotten her short program performance which launched her into first place going into the final free skate? That does make her worthy of receiving the Silver medal - despite her falls.

That's the way the skit started, she nailed her "short joke program." Then she comes back later to do her "long joke program" and the announcers start talking about how "her eyes are different" and "she looks nervous" and then she flubs the joke badly "singling it when it should've been a triple dirty" and then screams and falls. But then she gets back up, finishes the joke with a flourish and big smile. It was cute, not at all insulting.