Favorite American Lady Non-Gold Medalist at Olys | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite American Lady Non-Gold Medalist at Olys

Who is your favorite 'American Favorite Sweetheart' who won silver or bronze at Olys?

• Linda Fratianne (silver in 1980)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Rosalyn Sumners (silver in 1984)

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Debi Thomas (bronze in 1988)

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Nancy Kerrigan (silver in 1994)

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Michele Kwan (silver in '98 & bronze in '02)

Votes: 86 54.1%
  • Sasha Cohen (silver in 2006)

Votes: 44 27.7%

• Total voters

Mafke

Medalist
OwenEvans said:
I've always :cry: for Tiffany Chin in Sarajevo. Something like 14th in the figures, fantastic short and great long (where her only mistake IIRC was stepping out of her 3F) to end up fourth. Just a travesty, but because of (IMO) dodgy judging of figures, results often were. I've always thought it interesting that at Tokyo WC just a year later, after Roz and Elaine had retired and she was the reigning US champ, the judges thought her figures "improved" so much she was (I think) 3rd going into the SP.....

Yeah, the figures results from Sarajevo make very little sense, Witt in third? Zayak in 12 or so? I like the idea of figures (I thought they should have separate free skating, figures and a combined competition) but it was a very obvious place for cheating judges to do their thing since they usually weren't taped and the figures themselves disappeared. IIRC Peggy Fleming was skeptical of Witt's third place figures in Calgary saying that Witt's figures _seemed_ to have improved and then noting how slow she was skating them and how her loops were too small.

As for the SP in Sarajevo, it looks to me (courtesy of youtube) that Elaine Zayak got totally rooked (6th place). No way on earth was her SP worse than Kira Ivanova (3rd!) or Sumners (5th) (with foot done on the double axel and big bobble on a camel spin though I think in terms of choreography it was the best SP there and except for those two mistakes she was awesome)
My theory is that judges were really pushing the three Russian ladies and two American women got screwed.

Michelle is my favorite sweetie, but I voted for Debi Thomas because she was able to go on to a successful and fulfilling life after her career as a competitive skater was over.

swissmiss

Rinkside
Of the choices given, I had to go with Linda Fratianne. But my "Favorite American Lady Non-Gold Medalist at Olys" really is Janet Lynn. She had a flowing, easy quality to her skating that few ladies since have been able to match. :rock:

Turandot

Rinkside
Michelle Kwan :)

It's so crushing that the one medal she doesn't have is the one that the ignorant skating followers will judge her the most for missing. I especially get annoyed when people say that she failed when put to the challenge. These are people who didn't even watch '98. Three out of Michelle's 4 Olympic programs have been nearly perfect. No one can argue that Tara Lipinski didn't skate the more technically difficult program, HOWEVER, I STILL have a difficult time accepting that Lipinski has ever skated a program artistically enough receive a 5.9 for presentation. An objective observer can't deny that Michelle Kwan skated with so much more grace and elegance and while Tara deserved the technical edge, there is no way that her presentation marks should have been so high.

The one that really gets me is Sarah Hughes. In my opinion, she is the most talentless Olympic Gold Medalist in recent history. She skated the performance of her life on one of the rare occassions that Michelle Kwan couldn't pull out another dazzler. The stars simply aligned for Hughes. Ugh, it STILL makes my blood boil!

Okay, I'm done :)

ChelleC

Rinkside
Of the ones I've actually watched, definitely Michelle. I haven't watched Linda, Rosalyn, or Debbie though.