Thread: Men - Qualifying A (1st group to skate)

Custom Title

Men - Qualifying A (1st group to skate)

I'm not posting the marks here because they're being updated almost live on the ISU website http://www.isufs.org/results/wjc2006/SEG001.HTM

USA Geoffry Varner Start No: 1
    Notes: Music: 1492 & the last Samurai / black with curved gold lines around one side of chest / 3z steps 3t / 2a / back sit with variations ch sit with variations - pretty good / 3f2t2l / strt steps are ok and pretty music with music / music softens and a bit of chor / 2l / 3s / cam with variation starts the combo spin that is pretty well centered and well done / music picks up again (samurai now?) 2z / 3f2t / O ftwrk moves quite well / 2a / death drop is good / a good skate - he did the elements but doesn't project much personality into his skating, at least not this time. I've never seen him before so I don't know if that is the norm for him / into 1st of course /
    ESP Manuel Legaz Start No: 2
    Notes: Music: Tango Shine by Bond / now that he's finished I'm going to try and describe this costume - it's a one piece in dark navy with a diag effect with dark pink on 1/2 the top and one sleeve with sort of a black net over part of the pink - I think you have to see it to believe it / 3z fell / 2a hand down / a bit of chor / I looked away and he fell on something / music changes to the tango now and he bails on a salchow / combo spin is very fast with very good pos - well done / 3z both hands down - he gets up into the air nicely but has no control on the landing no check / O ftwrk is simple but with the music and moves well / 2a had it then both hands down / 2f / strt steps and he's working hard to keeping the tango expression / sit ch sit with good pos variations / into 2nd
    CAN Kevin Reynolds Start No: 3
    Notes: Music: Varejau, Ombra, Snake Food / purple vest effect over white & black with black pants - reminds me of a band costume / 2a / 3z3t2l / 4s fell - think rot / some chor now / fly sit to upright spin is well done / music is soft piano now and a tiny bit of chor / 3l / 2a3t / 3z 2ft / 3s2t / back twisted upright spin then something happened and it got very slow / music is now drums for O ftwrk that seemed empty / 3f hand down? / strt ftwrk to driving beat that is ok / into combo spin to same driving beat and it works with this - very nice spin / I have to admit a bit of bias here - I don't like the music at all and the program lacks drastically (to me) in choreography. / into 1st /
    RUS Sergei Voronov Start No: 4
    Notes: Music: Variations by Danova / Phantom on Ice / black vest effect with open V with orange ruffle around it / 2z / 3a landed on 2ft under rot - almost a bail on landing / 3l / 3s fell out / O ftwrk is quite good / music slows and some emoting type chor / spread eagle in full circle with nice arm movement / 3a turnout / A spin to upright holding foot / death drop / 2a / music starts to build again 3t2t / strt steps move & with music / 2s / cam with nice extension starts the combo spin to end the program / new pb / into 1st /
    JPN Takahiko Kozuka Start No: 5
    Notes: Music: Piano Concerto in F by Gershwin / black with red down centre of shirt / a bit of chor right off / 3a bit forward on landing / 3f / strt steps are with music - maybe a bit simple / 3l / 3s hung on / flysit with variations is centered good speed / music smooths and a bit of chor with nice spread eagle & hydro blade / death drop is good / he's using his his music / 2a very low tight landing - almost as if he changed his mind / 3z? 3t / 2f / 2a / O ftwrk uses whole body and is right with music / cam starts a very fast combo spin with great pos / into 2nd /

Custom Title
    ARM Gegham Vardanyan Start No: 6
    Notes: Music: Allegretto (Bond) white shirt & black pants / some chor to start / 2a3t? Not sure if 3 or 2t - wasn't expecting it / 3s2t / 3t / combo spin with good pos except back cam is centered / some more chor / 2s / 3t / ok either I'm seeing something wrong or he's now done three 3t's / O ftwrk is with the music - not bad at all / then some aimless skating around into a nice spin / 2z steps 2f / I missed something / strt steps are very simple / new pb / into 5th /
    JPN Takahito Mura Start No: 7
    Notes: Music: Violin Concerto - that's all it says / dark blue velvet pants with white shirt with dark blue insets / I missed a couple of things / 3a fell out / 3z2t / 3f2t / death drop with nice pos variations / strt ftwrk is with the music / he gives a nice sense of skating to his music / 3s / spread eagle series / some chor / 3z / 3l bad lean saved it / sit spin with variations was a bit slow / 3t2t / 3t / O ftwrk is ok - something seemed a bit odd about it to me / combo spin to end is a bit on the weak side / new pb / into 3rd /
    JPN Ryo Shibata Start No: 8
    Notes: Music: Malaguena White sparkly with gold matador style with black pants / 3f2t2l / a bit of chor and now castanets start up / 1a / 3z2l / S ftwrk is nice - with music / 3l / flycam with lovely speed & extention with variations to donut / music stops & starts up slow again and we have a couple of spirals - one in beillman / 3s / another camel spin to donut / 3z / pause at end for strt steps & for music to catch up - steps are chor'd to music - he could use more expression in these one / 3f hand down fell out / 2a / back cam with layout & donut starts the combo spin that ends in a nice-looking beillman / into 4th /
    FRA Kim Lucine Start No: 9
    Notes: Music: Pirates black with red sash & dager embroidered on hip / a bit of chor to start / 3f2t / 3z / flysit with variations / 3t / 3s / he's working at skating to the big music but isn't quite carrying it off this morning - at least not so far / strt steps / and some miming/emoting chor / 3l / back cam starts the combo spin - 1st half was very nice - 2nd got slow / 3f fell / 2a2t / O ftwrk into 2a into fly sit with variations to end the program / new pb / into 7th /
    CRO Boris Martinec Start No: 10
    Notes: Music: Matrix Reloaded & Lord of the Rings / black with grey sleeves / some emoting type chor to start us off / 2a / 3z hand down / 3f / flysit good tuck a little unsteady on the landing but did an ok spin / O ftwrk is simple but has some connection to the music / 3s stumbled out 2t / 3t had it then slid off edge / back upright then forward upright spin with not much pos variation / I missed a double jump / strt ftwrk was kind of empty / I missed a couple of jumps after that and then a final combo / new pb / into 8th /

Custom Title
    GBR David Richardson Start No: 11
    Notes: Music: Four Seasons wearing dark blue that is almost purple / ? Jump / 3t fell out / 2z / 3s from travelling 3s / back cam sit with variations ch cam sit layback - sit pos are very good - camel is weak / music slows and some chor with spread eagles / 3l2t / back shoot duck into 2a - very nice / 2a 2t2l / flysit with good fly & tuck & spin pos - bit slow on spin / music picks up with the violins for O ftwrk that is nicely chor'd to music starts out nice gets a little simple near end / 2f / strt ftwrk again works with music - a little more to this / back sit ch sit - again good pos & variations but a bit slow / new pb / into 8th /
    SVK Taras Rajec Start No: 12
    Notes: Music: Alexander soundtrack wearing black with gold at waist & wrists & red fabric from shoulder to waist / popped z / 3s / 3z fell / combo spin is not bad at all / a bit of chor to slow drum beat / 3z turnout 2t / he wasn't using his music much at the start but is doing an acceptable job now / 3t2t / flycam with ok pos & decent speed / 3t landed on 2 feet / 2a / music builds again for O ftwrk that is soso / 2f / back starts a spin into mushroom / strt steps into closing pose / into 9th /
    HUN Tigran Vardanjan Start No: 13
    Notes: Music: The Godfather white-white sparkly shirt / a bit of emoting chor to start / 3z hand down - nice air pos & rotation though / 3s / deathdrop that had trouble on landing and he aborted the spin / a bit of chor using the pockets in his pants / 1a bailed / 2t / combo spin is soso but a couple of interesting pos / music picks up for strt ftwrk that moved quite well - simple though / 3t2t / 2l / sit ch sit / some more emoting chor into 2s / O ftwrk is with the music / his skating skills aren't the greatest but he was using his music throughout the program which made it enjoyable to watch / new pb / into 11th /
    POL Mateusz Chruscinski Start No: 14
    Notes: Music: Libertango wearing very dark maroon & black with gloves / bad pick on z & singled it / some chor - he has nice posture - at least he did for a minute / 3f fell / 3s / back sit with variations ch sit / 2a / 2a / some emoting chor to slower music with spread eagles & a spiral / 3z2t not really pretty on either jump but he got them done / strt steps with lots of expression / 3t2t / spin that I didn't really see / 3t2t / back spin with some nice variations starts the combo spin / O ftwrk is interesting / new pb / into 9th /
    BLR Alexandr Kazakov Start No: 15
    Notes: Music: Mummy - costume is very dark maroon velvet with lighter piece on one side of chest / 3a hands down / 2z / 3? Think toe / sit ch sit is pretty good / then a combo spin and some chor that doesn't quite work for me / 3z2t landed toe at dead stop / 2l wild in air / flycam to catchfoot has just gorgeous extension & good speed on the 'regular' camel part / S ftwrk / 3t landed forward but clean / 3s2t 2t / O ftwrk moves quite well / 2a2t into a bit of chor then closing pose / new pb into 7th /

Custom Title
    ITA Marco Fabbri Start No: 16
    Notes: Music: Art on Ice / dark navy with silver sequin design on chest & belt / 3? bit wild on landing / 3f / 3l / now a bit of chor / 2a2t / sit spin but didn't see entrance / O ftwrk moves well & chor'd to music / some chor now to slower music - I enjoyed it / 3s2t2t / 2a - music is now winter / sit ch sit front half very good back ok / 3t2t / combo spin was quite nice until he almost lost it right at the end / strt ftwrk is ok / 3s into closing pose / new pb / into 9th /
    FIN Valtter Virtanen Start No: 17
    Notes: Music: Conair, The Rock Black with bit of red sequin / 3z step out / 3f / sit ch sit is good kept up the speed & nice variations / now some slow chor / sorry I missed a couple of things in there - was distracted / 3l ?/ flysit has nice fly & tuck with fast spin / spread eagles and then some aimless skating / 2a / 3s / 3s2t / 3t / think I missed some strt steps before the combo spin - combo spin was very nice / new pb / into 10th /
    RUS Alexander Uspenski Start No: 18
    Notes: Music: The Bird black with white on one side & seelve pattern is reminscent of feathers - had no clue until I saw the music, but I'd guess that's what it is / 3a3t toe was on a real lean and he had to hop out of it to save it / 3f / 3l / ina 3z very tight on landing but hung on / 3t / flycam lovely extended pos good speed / music pause & some chor as it starts up again - very lyrical and the strt steps match very well / 3s2t2l / 2a pitched way forward on landing / O ftwrk flows well / 3s fell out / combo spin is very nice - kept up speed throughout even with all the pos variations / sit ch sit to end the program / he's a very 'soft' skater, very gentle to the ice - nice to watch him just stroke / into 1st /
    USA Daisuke Murakami Start No: 19
    Notes: Music: West Side Story red shirt black pants / a bit of chor and around for a 2a / 3z hung on / pause for a bit of chor as 'a time for us starts' into flysit with variations - nicely done / 3l / lovely spiral that I barely got to see - hold it guy!!! / and then we had a 3?2? That I was still thinking about the spiral and didn't really see / 2a / now we're into the 'fight' music and the strap for his pants has come undone / here we go again and they started the music a little too late / and into O ftwrk that is really musical and fun to watch / 3t2t / diag ftwrk is very good as well and now we've got 'america' 3z / 3s hand down fell out / combo spin to end the program / new pb / into 6th /
    TUR Kutay Eryoldas Start No: 20
    Notes: Music: Exodus / costume is black tunic & pants - with roman collar - red hanging bits off one side & white on the other and diag 'rosary beads with cross / sorry missed the 1st little bit / 3s / 3t fell out 2t / fly sit is ok / strt steps are with the music / 2a2t2l / 3t came out forward / bailed on ? Jump / sorry I'm paying more attention to the music (which I love) than I am to his skating to it / new pb / into 19th /

Custom Title

Thumbs up

You get the reports up fast!

(Long time since i have been here)

Custom Title
    Thanks again, Rosaleen! Boy, this is a tough/deep group!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick
    You get the reports up fast!

(Long time since i have been here)

Right now (and hopefully for the rest of the event) we have wireless internet in the arena and even power for the laptops, so I can post quite often. For qualifying and the earlier groups I'm just posting after each group. When we get to the short & free programs and the top skaters, I'll post after each skater or two.

Rinkside
    thanks for the report

Custom Title

thank you for the updates.

funny, only one man managed more points then Mao during qualifying.