Men - Qualifying B (2nd group to skate) | Golden Skate

Men - Qualifying B (2nd group to skate)

Rosaleen

Medalist
CHN Jinlin Guan Start No: 1
Notes: Music: King Arthur soundtrack wearing primarily black with one side of top in white on the diagonal / some chor to start with 2a out of nowhere / bad pick on z popped to single / music builds now and some chor in place /3f2t / travel 3s into 3l / flysit doesn't have big fly but very nice fast spin centered / 3s step out / music softens and some emoting chor & posing / 3f / 3t / 2z / O ftwrk gets very slow but interesting & with music / sit spin with nice variations & good speed / combo spin starts with very nicely extended camel with pointed toe (one of my 'things') stt steps again get slow but lots of expression / into 1st /
UKR Vitali Sazonets Start No: 2
Notes: Music: The Last Opera wearing black with v neck sparkly top / 2z2t neither very pretty / 3t2t / flycam with very nice fly & great pos in spin with good speed & variations / popped ? 2t / big open 1a (not intentional) / 3l / 3s / sit ch sit is ok / 3z under rot both hands down / 3t turnout / strt steps move well with some nice details / combo spin starts with that very nice camel of his / into 2nd /
CZE Pavel Kaska Start No: 3
Notes: Music: Battlefield Earth & Pirates of the Carribean wearing blue top with diag black design & shiny black pants / 2z2t2l / 3t3l just hung onto the loop / flycam has ok pos but doesn't really center properly / 2f / 3s / back camel to catchfoot then sit variations / some chor to slower music & spread eagle series / travel 3s into 3l fell out - on a lean all the way / 2a2t / pause at end of boards for strt ftwrk that's ok / 3t / 3s not sure / then I mised the next bit of the program trying to figure out what that last jump was / into 1st /
FRA Yannick Ponsero Start No: 4
Notes: Music: Les Lacs Du Conemara black with light blue yoke effect & down one leg / 3a bit wild but hung on to landing / 4t with turnout / back sit is very fast & centered with good pos variations / music gets bouncy & a bit of chor / 2z / 3l / death drop is well done, just like the back sit / pretty spread eagle seq / 3a on a lean stepout 2t / 3f 1/2l 3s / combo spin started out pretty good but then started travelling a long way / 2a2t / O ftwrk is fairly detailed but lost me a bit / 2a / strt steps are ok - flow quite well with music & use whole body /into 1st /
SLO Luka Cadez Start No: 5
Notes: Music: Gladiator beige tunic top with brown pants & belt & brown epaulet on one shoulder / 3f / 3z fell / flysit has pretty good fly spin could be better / 3l / kind of bailed on 3t - not sure what happened / flying spin of some sort - local photographers were in my way trying to 'gain position' / 3s / 3t2t / 2a hop turn another 2a? / combo spin had a very nice 1st half a bit weaker after change of foot / S ftwrk is ok / 3s2t right into closing pose / new pb / into 4th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
AUS Robert McNamara Start No: 6
Notes: Music: West Side Story Red satin shirt & dark brown pants / very good chor to start / 3s 2ft turns 3t / flysit with very good fly & spin / 2z with both hands behind head / strt ftwrk is right with the music & interesting / side split into 2a / russian split jump / some more chor and a kick line to jazzy music & some more chor / layback to maria then some fun chor / 3l under rot fell / 2f / music changes and picks up for O ftwrk that very nice chor'd / 2a / then tripped? / very fast headless spin that was great until the end when he fell out of it / some very nice chor into closing pose / he had fun with this and really used the music which made it fun to watch / into 6th /
USA Stephen Carriere Start No: 7
Notes: Music: Once Upon a Time in Mexico / 3s / 3a is huge with a stepout - lovely air pos / 3z 3t lean on toe and stepped out / strt ftwrk - not quite sure of what the pattern was supposed to be - it was quite well done though / spin that I didn't really see / some chor / 3f / 3l / 3z or was it a flip turnout then I think a 2t not sure / S ftwrk / 3z poss 2ft / 2a2t / new pb / into 1st /
UZB Egor Kocheev Start No: 8
Notes: Music:? Wearing dark navy velour with music notes on one leg /diag of top is white as is one sleeve / 2z fellout then another jump he fell out of / S ftwrk is a bit weak but he's trying to skate with the music / 2s stumbled out as he did with 2t / music is paganini / spin that I didn't really see / 2z / 2f not sure if clean / music changes for strt steps are with music / flycam is a bit slow but pos is quite good / 2l / 2t fell / back cam sit with variations / into 8th /
SWE Adrian Schultheiss Start No: 9
Notes: Music: Equinoxe & some Yanni stuff royal blue velour/velvet with lighter design down one arm and some beige circles on one side / 3a fell out / 3a late step out / 3z3t hand down on toe and free foot / spin that I didn't see the start of had very nice fast sit / 3s bit wild on landing / O ftwrk is partially with the music / sit ch sit with variations / music has slowed & changed and some chor then a 3l hand & free foot down / 3t / 2t / 3z / strt steps are quite good / back cam sit starts the combo spin / into 3rd /
FRA Yannick Kocon Start No: 10
Notes: Music: King Arthur dark grey with bit of red accent & lots of studs & such on top of costume / some chor to start into 2a fell out / 3f3t / 2z / bad pick on z / O ftwrk is intersting & with music / death drop with spin that was very nice until he started doing the weird variations req'd for COP / 2l / 3s2t / back twisted sit / 3t / were ok - with music / 2a kind of stepped out / combo spin to end /

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Rosaleen said:
USA Stephen Carriere Start No: 7
Notes: Music: Once Upon a Time in Mexico / 3s / 3a is huge with a stepout - lovely air pos / 3z 3t lean on toe and stepped out / strt ftwrk - not quite sure of what the pattern was supposed to be - it was quite well done though / spin that I didn't really see / some chor / 3f / 3l / 3z or was it a flip turnout then I think a 2t not sure / S ftwrk / 3z poss 2ft / 2a2t / new pb / into 1st /
FYI, Rosaleen, Carriere's jumps in his US Nationals free skate in January were: 3S, 3A (first one landed in comp.!), 3Z-3T, 3F, 3R, 3F-2T, 3Z, 2A-2T -- 8 triples and a clean skate there (126.88 points). He is coached by Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson -- who is in Slovenia with him?

Rosaleen

Medalist
AUT Viktor Pfeifer Start No: 11
Notes: Music: La Strada + others mainly black with diag zigzag purple band and white on the other side very high collar / some nice chor to familiar melody to start / 3z3t2l - nicely done / 2 tano z / fly forward sit with good tuck & centered spin / music gets bouncy and so does his expression 3f1t / 3s3t / camel with bent leg variation starts combo spin with good sit pos and his arm behind back contortions / 3f / lovely spread eagle into 3l that he just hung on to / 2a fell / music is now circus type for O ftwrk and it's speed up but he isn't right into strt ftwrk that somehow is behind the music as well / 2 tano f / cam spin with variations into his closing pose early / That music is so much 'Kurt' to me . . . / into 3rd /
GER Peter Liebers Start No: 12
Notes: Music: cool running awful orange blousy shirt with open neck & ruffle around neck / 3a / 3z3t / then a spin I didn't see / music is fun / 3z pitched way forward but think he held off putting hand down / 3l / music slows a bit and some chor / S ftwrk that I only saw the end of / 2a2t / music picks up again for strt ftwrk - we have a steel band going on - ftwrk was lacking a bit / 3s / back cam with bent over pos hop to sit ch sit with open leg variations - very nice spin until just at the end when he almost fell out of it / 3s so the previous jump couldn't have breen a sal / 2a into closing pose / new pb / into 3rd

Rosaleen

Medalist
NOR Nichael Chrolenko Start No: 13
Notes: Music: Pirates brown tunic over dark pants cream shirt / popped flip to big single / 3z fell / I missed a spin / some chor with 'sword' as music builds / 3s turnout 2t / big open pop on loop / spin that ended with a sit - didn't see start / music slows again and a bit of chor including a nice spread eagle / O ftwrk is very flowing and with music but not much to it / 3? / 2a turns hard sideways fall on 3t / music is building again for strt ftwrk that had a bit more to it / 3s under rot fell / 2a had it then slid off edge - a few of his falls were very similar to that / into 11th /
HKG Tatsuya Tanaka Start No: 14
Notes: Music: Concerto #1 in E minor - chopin black with silver lines radiating from one shoulder very elegant / 3s under rot stepped out / 2a under rot step out / not sure if there was another jump before a quite nice combo spin / 2s / 2t / 2l 2t / flysit had good fly & pretty good tuck little rough on landing but then did a nice spin / some nice spread eagle & spiral moves into 2z / strt ftwrk is simple but flowed / 2f2t / I didn't see most of the O ftwrk / back camel with nice pos starts a good combo spin / into 13th /
ROM Zoltan Kelemen Start No: 15
Notes: Music: sequences from holiday on ice show / dark blue with black in vest effect with gold / 3t not sure about this jump - didn't really see it / 2z2t / 2l / 1z / 2t / sorry not paying as much attention to him as I should / back sit spin is pretty good / strt ftwrk moves pretty good but got the feeling he was 'going through the motions' / slipped on takeoff of sal and almost went down / 1a 2t / 1a with a what have I done look on his face after that / didn't really see the spin that ended the program / into 12th
./

Rosaleen

Medalist
CHN Chao Yang Start No: 16
Notes: Music: Tocata & Fugue / dark royal blue velour with neat gold insets on top / 3f hand down 3t / 3z3t / very nice fly combo spin on 1 foot / 3s / spin that I didn't see the start of but ended in slow catchfoot / 3f bit wobbly on landing / 2a / 3z / death drop trouble & hand down on landing & therefore not much of a spin / O ftwrk has loads of twizzles & quite expressive / ? 2t / strt steps that were trying to be all things to skating and just ended up kind of messy & not matching the music / new pb / into 5th /
SUI Moris Pfeifhofer Start No: 17
Notes: Music: Four Seasons Summer Pachabel's Canon / with glittery top with black sleeves & pants / some expressive chor to start / long setup into 3z - nicely done / 3f / 3l super tight landing with a couple of turns but stayed on one foot / nice fly cam with pos variations / side split spiral / 3s / strt steps flow with music & he uses his whole body / 3t hop turn 3s / catchfoot camel spin with variations in pos - nicely done / 3l2t2l / O ftwrk is ok - a bit empty maybe / 2a / 2a - not sure if those were in seq / another 2a / back cam to catchfoot sit upright variations chg cam sit with variation / new pb / into 4th /

WOW! Pfeifhofer had a skate of his life!

He's an interesting skater and I'm really happy that he managed to get it together jump-wise. :clap:

Rosaleen

Medalist
ISR Evgeni Krasnapolski Start No: 18
Notes: Music: Metello dark grey-black velour with a couple of gold stars on right side / 3t? I was posting the last skaters when he started and I saw what he did but couldn't write it down and now I've forgotten / O ftwrk flows well with the music and now the music slows / 1a2t step out of toe / 2l / 2s / 2z / music picks up for sit ch sit that is quite weel done and now a driving beat / 3t landed awkwardly / strt steps were soso / combo spin to end the program is well-done / into 14th .
CAN Patrick Chan Start No: 19
Notes: Music: Guitar Concerto by John Williams starts the medley / back velet one piece with silver bands & dark turqoise - very nice / 3s / sit spin with variations / 3a leaning way outside fell / O ftwrk moves well with music / 3z way forward on landing 2t fell on toe / 3l / back cam with very nice pos & excellent speed with multiple pos variations / 3f / diag ftwrk is with music & uses whole body / fell just going backwards / 3t landed pitched forward / 3z / combo spin to end is well done - good pos & speed / into 6th /
BUL Georgi Kenchadze Start No: 20
Notes: Music: King Arthur / dark burgundy tunic effect over grey pants / 3l fell not sure if there was anything before it / 3t2t / flysit is ok / 3s2t / sorry - I'm not paying as much attention again / 2a hop turn 3s that he hopped out of / back sit with variations ch sit - bit of trouble on change but once centered the back end was good / 3? Fell on side - didn't see take off / diag ftwrk is ok - bit slow but with music / 1a / 2a hopped to save it / back cam starts an ok combo spin / into 14th /

Lightspear

Rinkside
Sylvia said:
FYI, Rosaleen, Carriere's jumps in his US Nationals free skate in January were: 3S, 3A (first one landed in comp.!), 3Z-3T, 3F, 3R, 3F-2T, 3Z, 2A-2T -- 8 triples and a clean skate there (126.88 points). He is coached by Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson -- who is in Slovenia with him?

I believe that Peter Johansson traveled with him to Slovenia

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Peter went with him. Mark is still in Boston. (So no high jumps from the sidelines like at Nats! There's a picture of Mark jumping at least as high as Stephen when he did the 3a at Nationals.)

Thanks so much for these reports, especially from those of us with no high-speed internet. I got to see his SP in an exhibition before he left--I really like both it and Once Upon a Time In Mexico...still have my fingers crossed for the SP & LP....