MK on Oprah? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK on Oprah?

R.D.

Record Breaker
six weeks? that's a long time. So why are we hearing about this NOW, rather than, say, four weeks later?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
six weeks? that's a long time. So why are we hearing about this NOW, rather than, say, four weeks later?

I don't understand this question.... what difference does it make when we hear about this?

R.D.

Record Breaker
in other words, usually I don't hear of someone being on a show two months from now. It's only when the time gets close that an announcement is made. Where did this come from, anyway?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
in other words, usually I don't hear of someone being on a show two months from now. It's only when the time gets close that an announcement is made. Where did this come from, anyway?

Right. Now I understand.... It appeared as a blind item in the New York Post ~ I'd hazard a guess a PR plant done by Michelle's people to ensure her name stayed front & center w/o her having to actually DO anything post-Olympics until she was ready (i.e. attend a high pressure awards show vs. her usual Lakers game & the roller coaster ride at Disney...) This is pretty standard, espcially under the circumstances...

The actual taping will happen about a week prior to air-date and has been confirmed by a friend who works in media that looked into it as a favor but she couldn't confirm the air date... So looking forward to this... should be very cool.

Bynx

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Perhaps, but how long has Elena L. been skating in comparison to MK? I think longevity is as much of a factor as age is, because it shows how much more your body can take. JMO...

Elena L. started skating at 4yrs. old.
Kwan started skating at 5yrs. old.
EL is 4 years older than MK and has
been skating for 26yrs. to MK's 21yrs.

Vancouver is not out of the question for
Michelle by any stretch. If she can remain healthy
and wants to do it then she is capable of competing and
doing very well.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I don't think she will remain eligible. Emilie and Kimmie are now seasoned skaters and she will have to face them along with a smartened-up Sasha for any competitive medals within the US. The coming season (after Worlds) will also show how well, Alissa, Bebe and Katie are doing.Joe

I have to tell you Joe, the only one on this list who I think could be a problem for Michelle in the next few years, is Kimmie. And even with her, things don't always progress as we assume they will.
I saw nothing from Sasha or Emily which would lead me to believe that a healthy Michelle would have trouble competing with them. Sasha has still not solved the dilemma of being unable to skate a clean LP, and while Emily certainly didn't skate badly at the Olympics, I don't think she's much of a threat to anyone. And give her another year or two, and I will bet her body type will pretty much put an end to any future Olympic dreams.
Just my thoughts.

One more thing ... I have no gut feel on what Michelle will do from here. My guess is that she will make no firm decisions anytime soon.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I also think that there is a huge difference between "Michelle will stay eligible for one more season", where great skates at Nats and Worlds would end her career on a better note than retiring now and "Michelle will stay eligible for Vancouver".

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I also think that there is a huge difference between "Michelle will stay eligible for one more season", where great skates at Nats and Worlds would end her career on a better note than retiring now and "Michelle will stay eligible for Vancouver".

ITA...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Bynx said:
Elena L. started skating at 4yrs. old.
Kwan started skating at 5yrs. old.
EL is 4 years older than MK and has
been skating for 26yrs. to MK's 21yrs.

Vancouver is not out of the question for
Michelle by any stretch. If she can remain healthy
and wants to do it then she is capable of competing and
doing very well.

Thanks, but I was referring more to...how long have they been both in senior competition? How many Olympics has Elena L been to?

R.D.

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
I have to tell you Joe, the only one on this list who I think could be a problem for Michelle in the next few years, is Kimmie. And even with her, things don't always progress as we assume they will.
I saw nothing from Sasha or Emily which would lead me to believe that a healthy Michelle would have trouble competing with them. Sasha has still not solved the dilemma of being unable to skate a clean LP, and while Emily certainly didn't skate badly at the Olympics, I don't think she's much of a threat to anyone. And give her another year or two, and I will bet her body type will pretty much put an end to any future Olympic dreams.
Just my thoughts.

I doubt it. MK can want to do whatever but it's what her body will let her do. I seriously think she's at the end of her tether as far as competing at the top is concerned. SC may not be that far behind, either.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Thanks, but I was referring more to...how long have they been both in senior competition? How many Olympics has Elena L been to?

Elena Liashenko competed in 1994 at Lillehamer, 1998 in Nagano, 2002 in Salt Lake City, and in 2006 at Torino.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I doubt it. MK can want to do whatever but it's what her body will let her do. I seriously think she's at the end of her tether as far as competing at the top is concerned. SC may not be that far behind, either.

I pretty much agree with you RD. I don't seriously think Michelle will compete much longer, if at all. She may try to come back next season, and for that short period of time I think she could be very competitive with the other US ladies. Now the Japanese and Korean young ladies? That's a whole different ballgame! ;)

rob43

On the Ice
I feel absolutely certain that Kwan will not compete yearly until Vancouver. I think she will try to do nationals/worlds next year if healthy (to 'go out' on her own terms.)

And if she does go for 2010 I think she'll take a page from Eldredge's book and sit it out a year or two in the middle to stay healthy while skating enough to maintain most skills. Also- Maria was 29 in '02 but had been healthy and liked to compete frequently to stay in shape. Kwan has been in a situation where she ahs been having to compete infrequently to nurse injuries and we don't know if they are progressive or will go away with actual rest.

Red Dog - Just what is your age limit on competitive skating? Sasha's moving on up as well as Elena S. and Elena L. Tikhinov is over 30 and he has to do all those Lasso Lifts.

If you really know something about the mature versus the teenyboppers, let us hear it or is this just your personal speculation without any scientific facts?

Dorothy Hammil skated in Pro competitions at 40+. But tell us your take on age. I would appreciate it. My take on retirement is at the option of the skater.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
The actual taping will happen about a week prior to air-date and has been confirmed by a friend who works in media that looked into it as a favor but she couldn't confirm the air date... So looking forward to this... should be very cool.
Wow, trust you will let us know when the tape is done? Thanks in advance.

OT, words from Russian FS circle was there will be change in Bielmann position (or maybe already in place for next season?). Something like "count only one position." I don't quite understand the meaning (we are all amature in this area)....so some young skaters were told to save their body, not to Bielmann to much. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeyora

Final Flight
mzheng said:
Or may be she'll just play ear by ear? Think she will retain her eligible status in next a few years, since she just signed with COI for another four years....so to us Kwan fans, we can see her skate at least for next 4 years. :rock:

I haven't heard this! When did this happen? But then again when it comes to Michelle you know the news before anyone else.

Personally I can't wait to hear an in depth interview with Michelle. Us fans have been dying to hear from our girl!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
I haven't heard this! When did this happen? But then again when it comes to Michelle you know the news before anyone else.

Personally I can't wait to hear an in depth interview with Michelle. Us fans have been dying to hear from our girl!

:laugh: This is so true... Mzheng is always the best source of information on Kwan... We are so very lucky to have her... :bow: :bow:

:yes: And we are also lucky to have Kwanford Wife and her system of moles in the entertainment/advertising game! :)