MK on Oprah? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

MK on Oprah?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Red Dog - Just what is your age limit on competitive skating? Sasha's moving on up as well as Elena S. and Elena L. Tikhinov is over 30 and he has to do all those Lasso Lifts.

If you really know something about the mature versus the teenyboppers, let us hear it or is this just your personal speculation without any scientific facts?

I was simply asking a question just to clarify some points. I just wanted to know if longevity played a factor in how long one could skate before one's body can't go on any longer, regardless of age. In other words, I wondered maybe some of the other skaters skating into their late 20s started after MK...that could be one reason why MK at 25 can't keep going. But that was just my speculation. I want someone to prove me wrong.

Why bother? RD. There are so many skaters older than Kwan who are still skating competitively. You seem to be just singling her out without regard to other skaters who are still competing. What is it about this lady that drives you into such a negative state? Is it something that releases horrendous anger in you? or do you just like to see Kwaniacs cringe?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Why bother? RD. There are so many skaters older than Kwan who are still skating competitively. You seem to be just singling her out without regard to other skaters who are still competing. What is it about this lady that drives you into such a negative state? Is it something that releases horrendous anger in you? or do you just like to see Kwaniacs cringe?

Joe

Not sure where you get the vibe that I hate her. I just don't, but I won't bother explaining to you...any more.

I was asking a question, and it got answered. End of discussion! Moving on...

Red Dog said:
Not sure where you get the vibe that I hate her.
RD - Hate is your word. I never used that. I'm just saying a skater who hasn't skated competition in over a year is irritating you still. I'm just asking what is it about her that still bothers you? It's a simple question.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nothing about her bothers me. She's injured and out. Over and done with.

I've said time and time again that it is her FANS rather than Kwan herself that usually "gives the illusion" to some that she "bothers me". But who cares? she's not skating any more. And neither is Irina. Let's get some fresh faces out there (after Worlds, that is).

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
With regards to peak age for competitive skaters, it varies. Some, like Tara, peaked at the age of 15. On the other hand, Maria Butyrskaya peaked at the age of 26. For ladies, I would generally consider the optimal range from 19-22. They're way past puberty, have fully grown into their bodies and generally are at the peak of their technical ability. Michelle won her first major titles ('96 U.S. Nats and Worlds) at the age of 15, but from a technical/competitive standpoint, I think she gave many of her finest performances during her 19-22 years (2000 Worlds, 2001 Worlds, 2003 U.S. Nats and Worlds). Irina and Shizuka won their first major title (Worlds) at the age of 22. Sasha won her first major title (U.S. Nats) at the age of 21. Men tend to mature a little more slowly. I would put the peak age range from 21-25.