Irina - Calgary article (translated) | Golden Skate

Irina - Calgary article (translated)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original. Some answers to deadlines questions.

Slutskaya decides to make up for the Turin failure.
Andrei ALEXANDROV, March 7, 01:28 am

Irina Slutskaya, the Turin Olympic bronze medallist and the most titled skater of Europe, announced her intent to take part in the World championships in Calgary. This news created a real buzz. Indeed, it came about suddenly, at the banquet that Vladimir Putin hosted in Kremlin for our Olympians. The head of state presented all medallists with certificates for Japanese cars from the Russian businessmen; man got Toyota Land Cruisers, and women got Lexus’s. In addition, women got expensive jewelry.

Irina Slutskaya will remember about the presidential banquet not only the lavish gifts, but also that Vladimir Putin hugged the skater, who so far hasn't become an Olympic champion. Perhaps the attention from the most important person in the state impressed Irina so much that she dared make her declaration. "I will go to the world championships in Calgary; I cannot say anything about Vancouver in 2010 because I don't like to think so far ahead", said Slutskaya.

Irina surely did not think of the problems she was causing the head of the Russian Skating Federation Valentine Piseev. The thing is, the national team for the Worlds in Calgary, to take place March 20 through 26, was literally announced the day before. Not a single Olympic medallist was listed, though some Olympians were - that would be Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin, and Marina Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov, and Elena Sokolova. The official roster was sent to the headquarters of the International Skating Union and to the championship organizing committee.

Slutskaya's announcement about wanting to skate in Calgary couldn't have come at a worst time. Leaving such a skater outside the team, especially considering the absence of other stars, would not make sense. To include her would incur a risk. No one can guarantee that the Canadian officials will include Irina in the list of competitors. There are many procedural details here. Officially, three skaters representing Russian will be Elena Sokolova, Arina Martynova, and Katarina Gerboldt. Slutskaya was not even among the alternates, so we won't know for sure if she'll skate in Calgary for a few days. By the way, Shizuka Arakawa, the reigning Olympic champion, will be there.

Irina Slutskaya will have a good chance to make up for the Olympics, becoming a three time World champion in the process. By the way, Irina already had one victory after Rurin - on Monday, the sports minister of Japan Kenji Kosaka officially apologized to the Russian skater. After the Games, while congratulating Arakawa for her brilliant skate in Turin, Kosaka allowed himself to be openly gleeful about the Russian skater's fall in the free skate. "I truly regret saying those rush words. I apologize to both Arakawa to Slutskaya", said Kosaki. Irina did not comment on this.

Pictures from the banquet

Last edited:
So it's still not a closed deal yet, but I suspect they will get Irina there somehow.

BTW - Such lavish prizes. Did Bush give anything to Sasha?

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
It would be interesting to see if Japan would protest Irina being able to bend the rules. Mao couldn't. After the remarks made by the Sports Minister, they might not protest it out of embarassment.

Then again, unless Irina has gotten a great deal of rest (which I doubt) I don't think she's going to be bringing her best performance anyway. She did not look physically well at the Olympics. You could tell the minute she started her lp, she didn't have her usual strength. In light of her illness, I think she's pushed herself too hard for too long this season. I wish she would just rest, but I wish her luck.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Such lavish prizes. Did Bush give anything to Sasha?

Joe

I think they get a cash prize for a medal, though I'm not sure if that is only for gold. Plus Sasha got to make the rounds at all of these hollywood parties... each one probably had a gift bag valued at ten grand or so in free swag.

Thanks for the translation, Ptichka. +4

It almost sounds like Irina just blurted this out at the spur of the moment at the banquet. Maybe getting the keys to a new Lexus took the edge off her disappontment.

I wonder who the "Russian businessman" was who donated the cars.

Joe, if President Bush gave anything to Sasha, I doubt of it would be a Japanese car.

But come to think of it, maybe they will come out with a new model to honor Arakawa: The Toyota Shizuka. Sounds sleek and powerful, yes?

MM ;)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I wonder who the "Russian businessman" was who donated the cars.
Sorry, my typo. Should have been businessmen. (I tend to just translate & type as I read, hence the typos...)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
thx for taking the time to translate this article for us.

So for heaven's sake is she GOING or NOT GOING? SO many conflicting reports!

Mafke

Medalist
Many jumbo-sized thanks for the translation, it clears up a lot but just says that the Russians sent their roster and doesn't mention any ISU deadlines.

All in all I'm still a little skeptical about the article (since it talks about "Canadian" and not ISU officials making the decision on whether Slutskaya can compete).

My official opinion: If she really wants to go and can be included without breaking/bending the rules, then by all means send her. She's the reigning world champion and her presence will certainly make the competition more interesting.

That said, I have a feeling that she won't be there and deadline concerns may provide a diplomatic face-saving solution. Or, they can all blame the "Canadian" officials. Who doesn't like to blame Canadians?

As for your translation habits: I do the same thing, even when they pay me. I know I should read the text and study it first, I just never have time so I just start banging it out as I go along (and clean it up later).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree that "Canadians" probably have nothing to do with this.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Ptichka-I just realized that I jumped into the discussion without thanking you! I am so sorry!

Thank you for translating the article for us. It was very interesting and I do appreciate it very much!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Longhornliz said:
I think they get a cash prize for a medal, though I'm not sure if that is only for gold. Plus Sasha got to make the rounds at all of these hollywood parties... each one probably had a gift bag valued at ten grand or so in free swag.

US Olympians get bonuses for medals -- 25K for gold, and lesser amounts (but I forgot how much) for silver and bronze. I do recall that Joey Cheek got 2 bonuses for his 2 medals -- one for 25K and one for 15K -- both of which he donated. I wonder what Irina thinks of her Japanese car?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I wonder what Irina thinks of her Japanese car?
Also, it's interesting how men and women got different cars. (In my extremely politically icorrect opinion, men will probably enjoy their SUVs more, and women will enjoy their elegant cars, as well as the Lexus's are the higher end ones, which cost the same as the Land Cruisiers). However, can you imagine if anyone in our politically correct society tried to give something different to different genders?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Mathman said:
But come to think of it, maybe they will come out with a new model to honor Arakawa: The Toyota Shizuka. Sounds sleek and powerful, yes?
MM ;)

I'd drive a Shizuka, but that car had better be beautiful, too! :)
xoxo
Rave

Longhornliz said:
Yes, but none of that is from the Head of State. Japanese and Russian skaters get the Head of State with prizes.

Eventually, Bush will throw a luncheon, I think, for all the Olympic medalists.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation.
So it is still not decided that if Irina will go?

US medalists got their won endorsement from bussiness corp. Which was worked out by each of their own agent and corp independantly. While, I guess, Russian just like the old good exCom, everything has to be something like goverment orgnized (today's china much like the sameway), the bussinessmen(entities) donate their money/goods to goverment (or goverment sport management) let the presedent hand out the prize.

Last edited by a moderator:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
attyfan said:
US Olympians get bonuses for medals -- 25K for gold, and lesser amounts (but I forgot how much) for silver and bronze. I do recall that Joey Cheek got 2 bonuses for his 2 medals -- one for 25K and one for 15K -- both of which he donated. I wonder what Irina thinks of her Japanese car?

25K for the ladies skating ogm is chump change compared to the potential endorsement deals... there's the real prize for your ogm :biggrin:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Yes, but none of that is from the Head of State. Japanese and Russian skaters get the Head of State with prizes.

Eventually, Bush will throw a luncheon, I think, for all the Olympic medalists.

Joe

I was pointing out that american medalists get the better deal in the long run even if good old W isnt opening up his wallet.