Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arakawa, Slutskaya not going to Worlds (CONFIRMED BY AP)

Down With It

News Arakawa, Slutskaya not going to Worlds (CONFIRMED BY AP)

This AP article CONFIRMS that Irina and Shizuka indeed will NOT be attending the Worlds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11764801/

It mentions that Cohen and B and A are going, though. WIthout the russians, can B&A win their first World Championship? Can Cohen "pull an Irina" and finally get the World gold after being the silver medallist twice? We'll see. I suppose many are right and this worlds has potential to be fairly exciting.

the AP has been wrong before, but these two not going surprise me...

GO team USA... whipe the others out lol

seriously though it's going to be an interesting competiton! I'm hoping Sasha holds it together!

Down With It
    on which report was the AP wrong?

I'm pretty sure that they are not going after this report, though.

I hope that Sasha gets the Gold. Silver for two years in a row, this could
    be her year. I just hope her injury is healed.

Custom Title
    Poor Sasha. Can you imagine trying to skate when she knows what the press will do to her if she loses?

Custom Title
    I think the US women going earned their spots but I really find myself wondering how Katie Taylor would do.

And I'll pick Rochette as my dark horse candidate.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Poor Sasha. Can you imagine trying to skate when she knows what the press will do to her if she loses?
    Well, it would be funny anyway (to me) if she STILL can't win even with this depleted field...then I'd DEFINITELY say Gold is not destined for her She'll be the true Silver Belle

So...IIRC someone asked her a question after the Olys to the extent of "will you be remembered as a skater who does great short programs but fails to bring it in the long?" and she responded with something like "I'd never let myself believe that." She's just got to put the press behind her. Maybe if she really wants to win she should be second or third after the short because I think she gets overexcited when she leads and then when the Moment of Truth arrives, she gets nervous and/or chokes, and skates "not to lose".

As far as I'm concerned, though, I don't really want her to win. I mean, look how much attention she got after a silver- I don't even want to imagine what it would have been like if she won the OGM. Enough already- when it's all said and done, she's a skater that can never pull it together when it counts most- at least in competition. With some training though she'll make a great show skater. She's got the moves to wow a crowd, definitely.

I'm predicting that's where she will go after this year if she does win worlds. She claims to "love competing", but I really don't think she does. She seems rattled out there too many times for me to say she truly enjoys it.
    Last edited by R.D.; 03-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Poor Sasha? This has been perhaps her best year. No Michelle at US nationals and Sasha wins the gold. Heavy favorite Irina has a melt down and Sasha wins a silver even with 2 falls. No Irina and no Shizuka at worlds- she has the world championship on a platter. There is no way she can lose. Besides, the press/media were extremely kind to her after she won the silver (not gold) at the Olympics. She has been on many shows, to Hollywood, and she will be treated like an Olympic gold medallist in the years to come. This is quite different from what used to happen to Olympic silver medallists in the 1980's (Linda F., Roslyn S.), and to some extent even in the 1990's (Nancy Kerrigan, and to some extent Michelle K. who was not invited to the Oscars, IIRC).

Vash

Down With It
    No Irina and no Shizuka at worlds- she has the world championship on a platter. There is no way she can lose.
    Yes there is

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rob43
    I think the US women going earned their spots but I really find myself wondering how Katie Taylor would do.

And I'll pick Rochette as my dark horse candidate.
    Katie is not going. right? I'd like to see how her fit in big worlds too.

Yeah, Rochette from Canada.
    Yukari and Fumie from Japan, both are fomadible competetors.
    Elena Soklova, she has a lot to prove herself.

Custom Title
    I predict a medal for Joannie. She will be on home ice, and she is a lovely skater. She has just not had enough international exposure, IMO but she is ready for the podium.

My prediction:

1.Sasha
    2.Fumie
    3.Joannie
    4.Kimmie
    5.Yukari
    6.Sokolova

With some luck, Kimmie could be on the podium too- if Fumie has problems with the jumps, Kimmie could sneak into the bronze position Joannie could win silver in that case).

Vash

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    Poor Sasha? This has been perhaps her best year. No Michelle at US nationals and Sasha wins the gold. Heavy favorite Irina has a melt down and Sasha wins a silver even with 2 falls.
    Vash
    One fall and one bad step out. It wasn't so long ago that people can't remember accurately. Check the protocols. -1.00 for the fall, not -2.00.

Sasha couldn't ask for a better lineup. Anything less than gold will be a total loss. Like Plushenko at the Olys, we will try to predict the silver and bronze medalists.

Joe

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Here is a link to an article which discusses Irina not being able to be named to the Worlds's team ... plus this last sentence regarding Sasha.

A source told the Sun doubts are being cast upon American Sasha Cohen's attendance as well. Injuries, which she fought through to earn silver at the Olympics, are hampering her training for worlds.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherS...82804-sun.html

Down With It
    has there ever been a worlds where all the olympics medalists were no shows? wow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast