Philippine Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Philippine Figure Skating

M

mylastduchess

I've been to the Philippines recently and figure skating as a sport is on the rise in the country! I've been very impressed by the level of skating I've seen. Problem there is no rinks to train,(tropical country) the only rinks are in malls which is open for the public. Also most skaters can't afford to buy skates!

Well here are some photos they are not mine though! http://community.webshots.com/photo/108222097/1108229757026352856hsYuZu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/108222097/1108230129026352856gftuRm

Last edited:
Very cool. Thanks for the interesting post. (The first picture seems to have been removed, however.)

MM :)

M

mylastduchess

Mathman said:
Very cool. Thanks for the interesting post. (The first picture seems to have been removed, however.)

MM :)

Nope, (the girl doing a spiral) its still there

Hmm. That's funny. When I go to the gallery I can see all the thumbs, but I can't see the big pictures for #1,2,3 and 5. Must be my computer. (?)

christinaskater

Medalist
michael novales placed 13th at the 4 Continents! There are so many amazing Filipino skaters, innately artistic and musical Filipinos! My friend told me come May and Olympic Size Skating Rink will open in the biggest mall in asia!!! So i guess that will raise further the level of skating of Filipinos! One friend of mine is from the Philippines and she can do the most amazing biellman spins pity she can only do 2 3jumps the sal and the toe!!! She working to be up there

M

mylastduchess

christinaskater said:
michael novales placed 13th at the 4 Continents! There are so many amazing Filipino skaters, innately artistic and musical Filipinos! My friend told me come May and Olympic Size Skating Rink will open in the biggest mall in asia!!! So i guess that will raise further the level of skating of Filipinos! One friend of mine is from the Philippines and she can do the most amazing biellman spins pity she can only do 2 3jumps the sal and the toe!!! She working to be up there

I think she can go to international competitions if she represents the Philippines, the only other female figure skater representing the country right now is a junior and she can only do doubles. Anyways the problem with rinks in the Philippines is that they are not for training, anyways I hope skating becomes a more international sport I admire skaters from countries like New Zealand, South Africa etc. they are helping promote skating to countries that has never experienced snowfall!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Ye,ye,ye..
OK, how many rinks are there?
How many months they have ice?
How are they training?

My country is not tropical, or something like that.
BUT:
We have ice only 5 or maybe 6 months in year, if we are lucky.
In whole Seriba, there is only one closed ice rink normal sizes, where you can train figure skating. It's here, in Belgrade. Other closed ice rink is in Novi Sad , but you can train only hockey there. Third is in Subotica, but it's opened and they are skating only 3 months.
And one more thing: you can't imagine how hard is to afford anything about skating here!
There are peoople that, when you ask them about skating they would say "skating, something like that actually exists here???"
...why did I have to born here:banging:

M

mylastduchess

anything_for_skating said:
Ye,ye,ye..
OK, how many rinks are there?
How many months they have ice?
How are they training?

My country is not tropical, or something like that.
BUT:
We have ice only 5 or maybe 6 months in year, if we are lucky.
In whole Seriba, there is only one closed ice rink normal sizes, where you can train figure skating. It's here, in Belgrade. Other closed ice rink is in Novi Sad , but you can train only hockey there. Third is in Subotica, but it's opened and they are skating only 3 months.
And one more thing: you can't imagine how hard is to afford anything about skating here!
There are peoople that, when you ask them about skating they would say "skating, something like that actually exists here???"
...why did I have to born here:banging:

Are you skating competitively? ...If I were you move to France! The Philippines have one Olympic size rink, there are several smaller ones but none of them are specifically for training(although lesson in Figure Skating, and Hockey are available)!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's a local Manila article on Michael Novales who became "the first
skater from the Philippines to compete in the World Figure Skating
Championships":
http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2006/03/21/SPRT2006032159342.html

Novales didn't qualify for today's short program because he placed 18th
in the Group B men's qualifying round last night. Here's the link to
Novales' ISU bio (his listed coaches are John Nicks and Russ Scott):
http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00009172.htm

Novales was the first Filipino skater to compete in an ISU Championship
event when he placed 14th at 2006 Four Continents. In November 2005,
Novales finished 7th in Senior Men at 2006 Pacific Coast Sectionals (he
previously qualified for U.S. Nationals at the novice and/or junior
levels).

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
mylastduchess said:
Are you skating competitively? ...If I were you move to France! The Philippines have one Olympic size rink, there are several smaller ones but none of them are specifically for training(although lesson in Figure Skating, and Hockey are available)!
OfcourseI I am skating competitively!!!