Olympic champs that went to worlds same year | Golden Skate

Olympic champs that went to worlds same year

Vash01

Medalist
It has become a rarity- an Oly champ that goes to worlds one month later. There are just a handful, I think. I respect them a lot.

2006- we don't know yet, but most likely none of them will go to worlds.

2002- Yagudin (he won worlds)

1998- K&D actually went to worlds but they had to pull out because Artur had food poisoning.

1994- None.

1992- Yamaguchi, Petrenko, Klimova-Ponomarenko, and Mishkutenok-Dmitriev. They all won worlds.

1988- Boitano, G&G, Katarina Witt, Bestemianova-Bukin went to worlds. All except G&G won (G&G placed second).

It means in the last 14 years only two Olympic champions went to worlds in the same year and only one of them won (Yagudin). What started this trend for OGM's to skip worlds? Are they (media) hyping the OGM a lot more since 1994 (that was the Nancy vs. Tonya year) and not allowing the skaters time to train for the worlds?

1984 and earlier- I don't know. Can someone fill the gap?

In 1980 Rodnina-Zaitsev did not go to worlds. Cherkasova-Shakhrai- the young Russian pair won worlds.

Vash

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
1984-Witt went to Worlds and won, Hamilton went to Worlds and won, Valova and Vassiliev went to Worlds and came 2nd to Barbie and Paul, Torvil and Dean went to Worlds and won.

So in 1984 the Olympics Champions all went to Worlds, and only Valova and Vassiliev in the pairs had to settle for something less than gold, a silver to Underhill and Martini.

Vash01

Medalist
gkelly said:
Nope, half of them went. Urmanov finished 4th at 1994 Worlds, and Grishuk/Platov won their first world title there.

You are right. I completely forgot about both Urmanov and G&P.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in 80... did Robin Cousins go? I want to say he skipped... but I could be wrong....

Vash01

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
in 80... did Robin Cousins go? I want to say he skipped... but I could be wrong....

Robin Cousins did go to 1980 worlds. He finished second behind Jan Hoffman.

Vash

I have never bought the argument that some Olympic champs don't go to Worlds because they are afraid to have their medal tarnished by not winning, or whatever. You don't get to be a champion if you are afraid to compete. So I thinks it is more the lack of time to train, and maybe even the feeling of huge relieve -- thank God I got that over with -- that has cased so many withdrawals lately.

If you win the Olympic gold medal, great. If you win Worlds, that's great, too. If someone else wins Worlds, good for them. They are not going to take your Olympic medal away.

MM :)

Mafke

Medalist
Mathman said:
I have never bought the argument that some Olympic champs don't go to Worlds because they are afraid to have their medal tarnished by not winning, or whatever. You don't get to be a champion if you are afraid to compete. So I thinks it is more the lack of time to train, and maybe even the feeling of huge relieve -- thank God I got that over with -- that has cased so many withdrawals lately.
MM :)

I think there are a few who don't go to worlds because they're afraid a defeat after the olys would cheapen their record. But, I think two other reasons are the main culprits:
1. The season for elite skaters is longer and more tiring than it used to be, in an olympic year they're primed for that and many might not have much left for worlds.
2. The media is larger and more intrusive and oly winners (or gold medal faves whether or not they win) are too distracted for too long to be able to get in good enough shape.
3. Since I prefer worlds over olys any day of the week, I wish there was some way around this, but it does seem to be the way things are right now

Kati

On the Ice
I think that the professional skaters who wanted to compete once more at the Olympics started the trend to not go to Worlds after Olympics. Before, it was like everybody went, but the Worlds title was not important for the pro skaters anymore, and they only wanted to have their olympic moment (and thus, deny it from some other skaters. I know the others could have outskated the pros at thir national championships, but I still don't like the idea of "olympics only" comebacks! Of couse, I've enjoyed some of their performances, but I still feel pity for the others who could not go!)
I always thought it was such a bold achievement to get gold at Europeans/US championships/Japanese/ Canadian etc., and the Olympics, and the Worlds in the same year!
Of course, if somebody is injured, I can understand the decision to not to compete at the Worlds. Otherwise, it really makes the olympic year Worlds a little bit blah. And it's a pity that the audience can't enjoy the performances of their favorites at the Worlds.
Of course, it's interesting to see the new faces at the Worlds. But the following year could be the perfect time for them to debut.

That's only my opinion...

ChrisC

Spectator
Kati said:
I think that the professional skaters who wanted to compete once more at the Olympics started the trend to not go to Worlds after Olympics.

I think it was more likely the Tanya-Nancy circus that drove at least the singles skaters from competing. Witt had an agreement with her federation NOT to go to Worlds. Boitano was injured. Tanya was under much more serious investigation by Worlds. Nancy had to have been totally fed up on the whole thing. Bauil, who knows - she was 15 and did what she was told to do. She and her "posse" (Galina etal) probably needed to make some serious money quickly.
Because of the increased attention skating received (what an understatement), there was much more demand on the time of all the participants. In any case, the withdrawal of so many major players did a world for good for Yuka Sato - which was not a bad thing for Skating.

rob43

On the Ice
Bauil was also injured in '94. (and ditoo chen)

I think '98 was the first year you really saw competitiors simply choosing not to go to worlds. That year I think only 2 or 3 medalists total competed between retirements and injury- and food poisoning. I was shocked at Kulik though since he'd only won one world medal (silver-96.)

redladybug21

Rinkside
I think maybe the olympic medalists don't want to tarnish their win at the olympics and be beaten a month later. lol

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think the modern trend of not going to Worlds might be a function of the ability to earn and still stay Oly eligible -- this is especially true of the Americans.. Years ago, American skaters (who had much fewer events in a season) had to turn pro after medaling at Olys, so they could earn a living -- so, Worlds would be their last chance, ever. Now, since skaters can stay Oly eligible and still earn, an OGM can "enjoy" the (comparatively fleeting) fame -- and, if they so desire, they can come back the next season (like Sarah did)