Slutskaya Declines to Defend World Title | Golden Skate

Slutskaya Declines to Defend World Title

IndieBoi

On the Ice
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/03/13/skating.slutskaya/index.html

MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Russia's Irina Slutskaya has confirmed her decision not to defend her title at this month's world figure skating championships in Canada.

"I will not go to Calgary," the two-time world champion, who took bronze at the Turin Olympics behind Japan's Shizuka Arakawa and American Sasha Cohen, told Russian media.

It was reported last week that Slutskaya was considering whether or not to take part in the season's last major championship from March 20 to 26.

She said failure to win the Olympic gold was the biggest disappointment in her sporting career.

"It shattered my dream but I'm a fighter and will not give up," said the 27-year-old Russian, who was also controversially denied gold at the Salt Lake City Olympics four years ago.

"I still have my whole life in front of me," she added.

Slutskaya, however, did not say if she was retiring from amateur competition or planning a comeback next season.

None of Russia's Olympic champions will compete in Calgary.

Pairs winners Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin have retired since their Olympic triumph, while Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov, who won the ice dancing title in Turin, and men's gold medalist Yevgeny Plushenko are all resting.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Interesting news. Leaves the door open to some up and comers. I know she is dissappointed from only getting bronze but that is sport and you can't always win. At SLC she was so sweet but at the Turin games she was such a poor sport that I have that terrible image in my head. I do wish her good luck and she will have a good career with the successes she has had in the past. She has a good future and it is time for her to move on.

Kasey

Medalist
She declines? Or she was not able to because she was never on the list even as a substitute, so was not allowed by the rules?

R.D.

Record Breaker
SK8LUVR said:
Interesting news. Leaves the door open to some up and comers. I know she is dissappointed from only getting bronze but that is sport and you can't always win. At SLC she was so sweet but at the Turin games she was such a poor sport that I have that terrible image in my head. I do wish her good luck and she will have a good career with the successes she has had in the past. She has a good future and it is time for her to move on.

Did you get SLC and Turin mixed up? I remember her being bitter after SLC but I think she handled this loss better (OVERALL) than the other one.