Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Ice-Dance World Champions

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal
    I think, we are looking forward to a unique World Championships in Ice Dance, at least "decision-wise"!
    Those old "judging by our presribed , safe reflexes" seems not to really work this time.
    THERE IS TIME TO REALLY VOTE, JUDGES!!

Now, there is the time, judges can give their marks in the way, they really wants to.
    There will be not many competitions like this in the next 4 years with so little "pre-judice".
    1. There are no Russian favourites.
    2. The Gold and Bronze medallists from last year ( and Olympic) are not there.
    3. The Silver medallists will be there, it is time to answer: did they got the silver last year , because everybody thoughts, they will be not able to participate at the Olympic Games , and this way judges can "lessen" the risk, the Russians will facing with a real contender there ?? (Judges seemed to be uncomfortable with Belbin/Agosto at the Oly, giving them 6th in Compulsory and 4th in freedance -I think deservedly....) It can be a different decision, when they had to choose a silver medallist than they have to decide the WORLD CHAMPION!!
    4. There are some couples around, always been the "political victims" in their entire carrier. They are about finishing their eligible carrier now.
    Are judges able to say "SORRY" for them after putting them into the shade for so many years? Those couples (Drobiazko/Vanagas, Debruil/Lauzon, Denkova/Staviyski) won't affect the results of a far future, they can be judged -FINALLY- in a honest way.

And of course : [B]the judges can themselves feel free to judge what they will see [/B]on the ice. What a rare possibility for them!!!!!! It is time to show us, they are STILL ABLE to see Ice Dance as a competition and a sport.
    What do you think, who will get the crown under these "curious" circumstances?

Debruil/Lauzon?
    Drobiazko/Vanagas?
    Denkova/Staviyski?
    Belbin/Agosto?
    Delobel/Schönfelder?

Can be Chait/Shaknovski and Domnina/Shabalin close to the podium (i.e. the past and the future?).
    The dance competition will be interesting.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan
    The dance competition will be interesting.
    Especially if we have a repeat of the Torino OD at any point -- Wam! Biff! Splat!! Must have been like an old Batman episode in that arena that night....

I hope that DOES NOT happen. But I'm just saying, it does rather put an interesting spin on a competition that was already going to be interesting to begin with.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    Well said, saramago. D/V and Denkova/Staviski have constantly been underscored and underappreciated. Enough is enough.
    AMEN TO THAT.

I'd like to see D/S win this year since they were robbed of their World title in 2004.

Custom Title

After watching the Original Dance today, I think judges didn't make their mind about the final result, which is RARE and HURRAY, HURRAY, HURRAY for them.

My thoughs about Belbin/agosto seems to be realistic. They got a quick silver last year to show, nobody is closest to the Russians a year before the Olympic than a team, who will not be eligible to go to the Olympic.

Now, they just started to build the next olympics up (how many couples are in front of Domnina/Shabalin, who has a chance to be present in Vancouver??? Only 1 and that one is already started to sliding down). I don't think that B/A did a worst job than in Torino, the judges are just realize how dangerous to over-score them for the future.

Nevertheless, it seems to be the most fair competition since many years (except of Drobiazko/Vanagas low Component scores). Thanks for that!!!!

I think the Kerrs should have been on the podium but then what do I know about Dance?

Joe

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    The most unfair thing of all would be to give the gold medal to D/L out of sympathy for their fall at the Olympics, if they did not skate the best of the teams.

The reality is they probably will not be able to skate at their best, considering that they were off the ice for 3 weeks and have had just one week of practice leading up to Worlds. No doubt Marie France is still experiencing pain and stiffness and the long flight from Lyon will not help. Dan Zhang in a recent interview said SHE was still having pain and could hardly put her full weight on her injured leg, and she's had one extra week to recuperate. The Zhangs said they were only at about 70% of their full capability because the injury has been slow to heal. I suspect the same will be true for D/L.

If they do not skate their best and win gold over superior performances, that would be a disgrace. I sincerely hope they skate as best they can, and come away with a medal fairly won, but not a gift given at the expense of the rightful winners.

Believe me shoud D&L win the gold it will not be a "sympathy win" as some are implying here. They are back on their feet after their terrible disappointment at the Olympics and are poised to give a top-notch performance. This program is rated as the best choreographically speaking by the judges and D&L perform it with such emotion and grace. I am sure at the end of the day - should they win - they will be the rightful winners.

Rinkside
    I am so happy that this time Albena&maxim got a fair score

and finally they won the world championship

In my mind, they should have won the world championship in 2004 world

But unfairly, they only got 2nd place.

I always think that d/s is better than n/k, i don't like n/k very much

D/S's perfermance is moving than any other ice dance skaters

Custom Title

So, finally we've got the new Ice Dance WorldChampions!

As I expected it was no Belbin/Agosto, even if they did a better freedance than at the Oly. So it seems, everything what I mentioned about the "pre-Olympic" situation was fair all the preparatin of the Russian Gold which started in 2004 ( pushing Denkova/Staviyski behind of Navka/Kostomarov), and continued in 2005. (giving the silver to the American couple, who was not expected to be able to go to the Olympic, because of their citizenship problem).

The American couple never will be over-scored again, because they have the same age than the next favourite Russian team.
    Don't forget it, most of the couples which has a chance to win a medal is coached by some Russian coches, doen't matter which countries are coming from.....

At least: it was the most fairly judged Dance event since a long time. When we will be able to witness the same kind of judgement again? I wonder!!

Don't forget it, most of the couples which has a chance to win a medal is coached by some Russian coches, doen't matter which countries are coming from...
    So Belbin and Agosto have a chance after all! (Their coaches are Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva, from Russian.)

Also Matthews and Zavozin (Elena Garanina).

MM

Custom Title
    Maybe, that is just a "conspiracy theory" , but a Russian coach never will allowe to his/her non-Russian team to win something big if the tough opponent is a Russian team.
    I don't think, they do a weaker program to them or something like that, but the "lobby work" won't be there in the background in the same level. Believe in me!

Maybe, that is just a "conspiracy theory" , but a Russian coach never will allowe to his/her non-Russian team to win something big if the tough opponent is a Russian team.
    I don't think, they do a weaker program to them or something like that, but the "lobby work" won't be there in the background in the same level. Believe in me!
    Well, according to speculation on this thread

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13032

Shpilband told Tanith Belbin to stumble on purpose in her free dance at Worlds to make sure that Navka and Kostomorov won for the Russians.

MM

Custom Title
    That is almost unbelievable.
    I can imagine she has been asked for that by the coach, but if she did it because of that, we can say her sportmanship is closed to zero behind her pretty arteficial face...... We will see, if it is true, they will get a gift WorldChampion title, before the Domnina/Shabalin starts to win at the latest in 2008.

Maybe they just want to suggest the fail-packed programs of the American couple was not because their real technical and skating skills but because they've been asked to do mistakes. Don't know.

Well, I think the part about Shpilband deliberately sabotaging his own skaters is a little far-fetched. It seems to be just idle speculation by the Russo-German journalist Artur Werner, writing on the politics of ice dance.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13068

MM

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    They accused Natalia Linichuk of the same thing, back in the early/mid 90s when she was coaching a couple of the top Russian teams as well as the top Ukrainian team, Romanova & Yaroshenko. "Conventional wisdom" (out of lack of a better term at the moment) in both Russia and Ukraine said that Linichuk was manipulating the program content of R/Y so they would not be competitive with the Russian couples, and many said that as long as Linichuk was coaching R/Y, they would never win anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2