New Ice-Dance World Champions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Ice-Dance World Champions

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
chuckm said:
The most unfair thing of all would be to give the gold medal to D/L out of sympathy for their fall at the Olympics, if they did not skate the best of the teams.

The reality is they probably will not be able to skate at their best, considering that they were off the ice for 3 weeks and have had just one week of practice leading up to Worlds. No doubt Marie France is still experiencing pain and stiffness and the long flight from Lyon will not help. Dan Zhang in a recent interview said SHE was still having pain and could hardly put her full weight on her injured leg, and she's had one extra week to recuperate. The Zhangs said they were only at about 70% of their full capability because the injury has been slow to heal. I suspect the same will be true for D/L.

If they do not skate their best and win gold over superior performances, that would be a disgrace. I sincerely hope they skate as best they can, and come away with a medal fairly won, but not a gift given at the expense of the rightful winners.

Believe me shoud D&L win the gold it will not be a "sympathy win" as some are implying here. They are back on their feet after their terrible disappointment at the Olympics and are poised to give a top-notch performance. This program is rated as the best choreographically speaking by the judges and D&L perform it with such emotion and grace. I am sure at the end of the day - should they win - they will be the rightful winners.

felicity1982

Spectator
I am so happy that this time Albena&maxim got a fair score

and finally they won the world championship

In my mind, they should have won the world championship in 2004 world

But unfairly, they only got 2nd place.

I always think that d/s is better than n/k, i don't like n/k very much

D/S's perfermance is moving than any other ice dance skaters

Big Deal

Final Flight
So, finally we've got the new Ice Dance WorldChampions!

As I expected it was no Belbin/Agosto, even if they did a better freedance than at the Oly. So it seems, everything what I mentioned about the "pre-Olympic" situation was fair all the preparatin of the Russian Gold which started in 2004 ( pushing Denkova/Staviyski behind of Navka/Kostomarov), and continued in 2005. (giving the silver to the American couple, who was not expected to be able to go to the Olympic, because of their citizenship problem).

The American couple never will be over-scored again, because they have the same age than the next favourite Russian team.
Don't forget it, most of the couples which has a chance to win a medal is coached by some Russian coches, doen't matter which countries are coming from.....

At least: it was the most fairly judged Dance event since a long time. When we will be able to witness the same kind of judgement again? I wonder!!

bigdeal said:
Don't forget it, most of the couples which has a chance to win a medal is coached by some Russian coches, doen't matter which countries are coming from...
So Belbin and Agosto have a chance after all! (Their coaches are Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva, from Russian.)

Also Matthews and Zavozin (Elena Garanina). :rock:

MM

Big Deal

Final Flight
Maybe, that is just a "conspiracy theory" , but a Russian coach never will allowe to his/her non-Russian team to win something big if the tough opponent is a Russian team.
I don't think, they do a weaker program to them or something like that, but the "lobby work" won't be there in the background in the same level. Believe in me!

bigdeal said:
Maybe, that is just a "conspiracy theory" , but a Russian coach never will allowe to his/her non-Russian team to win something big if the tough opponent is a Russian team.
I don't think, they do a weaker program to them or something like that, but the "lobby work" won't be there in the background in the same level. Believe in me!
Well, according to speculation on this thread

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13032

Shpilband told Tanith Belbin to stumble on purpose in her free dance at Worlds to make sure that Navka and Kostomorov won for the Russians.

MM

Big Deal

Final Flight
That is almost unbelievable.
I can imagine she has been asked for that by the coach, but if she did it because of that, we can say her sportmanship is closed to zero behind her pretty arteficial face...... We will see, if it is true, they will get a gift WorldChampion title, before the Domnina/Shabalin starts to win at the latest in 2008.

Maybe they just want to suggest the fail-packed programs of the American couple was not because their real technical and skating skills but because they've been asked to do mistakes. Don't know.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
bigdeal said:

They accused Natalia Linichuk of the same thing, back in the early/mid 90s when she was coaching a couple of the top Russian teams as well as the top Ukrainian team, Romanova & Yaroshenko. "Conventional wisdom" (out of lack of a better term at the moment) in both Russia and Ukraine said that Linichuk was manipulating the program content of R/Y so they would not be competitive with the Russian couples, and many said that as long as Linichuk was coaching R/Y, they would never win anything.