'Brokeback' author: We were robbed | Golden Skate

'Brokeback' author: We were robbed

IndieBoi

On the Ice
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/15/film.proulx.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Annie Proulx, whose 1997 short story inspired the film "Brokeback Mountain," has penned a scattershot blast in a British newspaper unleashing her anger over the film's best-picture Oscar loss.

Proulx criticizes Oscar voters and the Academy Awards ceremony in the 1,094-word rant, which appeared in Saturday's issue of The Guardian, a liberal paper boasting 1.2 million readers daily.

The best-picture Oscar went to "Crash," which focuses on race relations in Los Angeles.

Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes. (Read her Guardian column here.)

The 70-year-old Pulitzer-prize winning author points out that "Brokeback," which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, was named best picture at the Independent Spirit Awards one day before the March 5 Oscars.

"If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices," Proulx advises.

She even lashes out at Lionsgate, the distribution company behind "Crash."

"Rumour has it that Lionsgate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash -- excuse me -- Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline," Proulx writes.

She decries the "atmosphere of insufferable self-importance" inside the Kodak Theatre, the Oscars site, and describes the audience as a "somewhat dim LA crowd." The show, she writes, was "reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night."

"Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this," Proulx writes.

She notes that "Brokeback's" three Oscar wins, for original score, adapted screenplay and direction for Ang Lee put it "on equal footing with King Kong."

When Jack Nicholson announced "Crash" as the best-picture winner, "there was a gasp of shock," Proulx writes.

"It was a safe pick of 'controversial film' for the heffalumps," she writes, using the elephant-like "Winnie the Pooh" character to describe academy voters.

"For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant," Proulx concludes, "play it as it lays."

Calls by the Associated Press to Proulx's Wyoming home and her literary agent, Elizabeth Darhansoff, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering a few years ago it wouldn't have been nominated, OR a even more years back would never been made, I don't see why this is considered a huge loss

and for the record I've not seen any of the films, but I've read on more movie orriented forums that it was basically any film's chance to win/lose... *shrugs*

Personally I was rooting for Munich, because it's a Spielberg directed film... ;)

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Sour Grapes for sure. Talk about a bad loser. Yuck. Get a life. It is the Oscars honey. Noboody over age 10 takes them seriously. It is all about having a big party, getting out more publicity in order to put more butts in the seats. Since when have the Oscars ever meant anything else.:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
mmscfdcsu said:
Sour Grapes for sure. Talk about a bad loser. Yuck. Get a life. It is the Oscars honey. Noboody over age 10 takes them seriously. It is all about having a big party, getting out more publicity in order to put more butts in the seats. Since when have the Oscars ever meant anything else.:laugh:

Exactly!!!! :clap: BBM will probably be remembered much longer because it didn't win and it was controversial... where as Crash will just fade away...

kinda like the skating cheesefests lol

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
IndieBoi said:
Academy members who vote for the year's best film are "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city," Proulx writes. (Read her Guardian column here.)

Dear Annie,

It's metaphors like these that making reading you an experience akin to a root canal. Do you even think about the images you create or do you just string adjectives along until something sticks?

Crash won. BBM lost. Boo-hoo. Get over it. No one out in the real world cares about Oscars. (Or Pulitzers, for that matter.) Can't you just be happy with the bazillion other awards it won, plus the Best Director (long overdue; he should have won for Crouching Tiger) for Ang Lee?

Whining does not become you.

Love,
Me.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Well if she really did write that I can't say I blame her. I'm sure she did feel like she was shot in the foot after hearing Crash won. I mean BBM won everything all season long. What other movie was going to beat it? Like I've said before 30 yrs from now BBM will still be talked about and Crash will be long forgotten. I do agree with her that The Spirit Awards were a lot more creditable and true to movies as an art form then Oscars are. Anymore, I just watch the Oscars to see what everyone is wearing..lol I have a lot more respect for other award shows that aren't so political and such..

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Proulx probably has not gotten over the fact that her other story "The Shipping News" - which was also filmed in Canada - did not win the best picture Oscar either. Sounds like a case of sour grapes, as someone else mentioned.

As for the statement: 30 years from now Broke Back Mountain will be talked about and Crash will be forgotten - I doubt that very much. Maybe, a hand full of people will still be discussing the Broke Back Mountain story. Crash brought to light some real life situations that happen everywhere around the world. It's a thinking person's movie.

Broke Back Mountain is purely fiction. I am sure Annie will pen another story and maybe she will have another shot at the Oscars. Let's hope she gets over it and accepts what is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BBM is already being used in many film classes at UAA and I'm sure countless other film programs around the nation... I haven't had to experience it yet, and probably won't unless they make another manditory class for me to take before graduation. I doubt Crash will have that honor

an Oscar is an honor, but it is not the end all.... think Michelle Kwan, she may not have that Olympic Gold, but do you really think in the end that's all that matters?

(ok who's more surprised than I am that I'm backing up this film? must be a full moon lol)

seriously though I agree with whomever said this wasn't a shut out. BBM got the most nominations this year... THAT in and of itself is a huge accomplishment. The director for BBM got the Oscar... sometimes it happens that the Director will get the oscar but not the film or vice versa... that says something for the film though... Spielberg has had it happen a number of times, yet just about all of his big films have become classic...

The little gold naked dude is not the end all, and it certainly isn't snubbing any particular group... BBM can't win everything

and for the record CRASH won the SAG award for cast, which is normally an indicator for which film will be picked for best movie come oscars... and IIRC Heath and Jake didn't win a SAG either... so BBM didn't win everything all year long

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Proulx probably has not gotten over the fact that her other story "The Shipping News" - which was also filmed in Canada - did not win the best picture Oscar either. Sounds like a case of sour grapes, as someone else mentioned.

"The Shipping News" wasn't even nominated for an Oscar so I'm not sure why you brought that up? I bet different about Crash..I love "On Golden Pond" and watch it from time to time...although, I could care less about what movie beat it for best picture that year.. I think it was "Chariots of Fire"? "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" is a cult classic.. Do I remember what film beat it for best picture that year...No.....After seeing all the top films this year here are the movies I thought should have been the best picture noms:
BBM
Walk the Line
Capote
Memoirs of a Geshia
King Kong

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thinking Person's Film?

Come on crash wasn't a thinking persons film, it was a good idea with some obvious examples and some downright wrong examples thrown in to try and alleviate white guilt at what is inherently a very racist society where people learn to cover that racism in polite society and carry on their passive agressive ways.

"Thinking people's films" come out of independent studios, nothing hollywood produces is ever very intellectual - in order to make money (the main goal of hollywood) they have to apeal to the lowest common denominator and that is not intellectual, its puerile comedy, big screen action, and films that make people think they've had to think when actually its all laid out on the screen for them.

Ant

ranjake

Final Flight
Ladskater said:

As for the statement: 30 years from now Broke Back Mountain will be talked about and Crash will be forgotten - I doubt that very much. Maybe, a hand full of people will still be discussing the Broke Back Mountain story. Crash brought to light some real life situations that happen everywhere around the world. It's a thinking person's movie.

Broke Back Mountain is purely fiction. I am sure Annie will pen another story and maybe she will have another shot at the Oscars. Let's hope she gets over it and accepts what is.
well..to me...the shipping news is an AMAZING book...but the movie does not stack up at al...i haven't read the short story brokeback was based on yet. some of her other stuff has been not really for me.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Come on crash wasn't a thinking persons film, it was a good idea with some obvious examples and some downright wrong examples thrown in to try and alleviate white guilt at what is inherently a very racist society where people learn to cover that racism in polite society and carry on their passive agressive ways.

"Thinking people's films" come out of independent studios, nothing hollywood produces is ever very intellectual - in order to make money (the main goal of hollywood) they have to apeal to the lowest common denominator and that is not intellectual, its puerile comedy, big screen action, and films that make people think they've had to think when actually its all laid out on the screen for them.

Ant

I wasn't going to post on this thread because I don't care about this chick's whining, but I'd like to comment on this post... Crash WAS a thinking person's movie. It made a lot of people think about their own thoughts & behaviors and that's where healing begins. Racism is real and it affects so many people everyday in subtle ways that you wouldn't even be aware of... Were some of the examples overblown? Absolutely. But sometimes you need to kill a spider witha tank. My husband has been pulled over for DWB: driving while black too many times to count. My best friend treats her cleaning lady, who happens to be white, like a child. I've been yelled at by cashiers at grocery stores because I used a credit card to pay for groceries w/ the assumption being that I'd either stolen it or there wasn't available funds on it. These examples were illustrated in Crash.

You might disagree w/ Crash based on a lot of ideals but please don't say it was unrealistic. And if you still feel that way, then I'd say be grateful, because for a lot of us, it was a bit too real and made us think too much...

Vash01

Medalist
I am surprised that she wrote this article (if she really wrote it). I am a big supporter of BBM because I thought it truly was the best movie of the year. IMO only Munich got even close. I would not have nominated Crash at all, and yes, I gasped when Crash was announced as the best picture of the year. I truly believe that BBM was robbed because some folks in Hollywood just could not digest the gay romance theme.

I sympathize with those who created BBM, but the Oscars have always been the most political awards in the movie industry. The best picture does not always win the best picture Oscar. I am surprised that she sounds so bitter. Why is she surprised? It is great that BBM at least won the critics' awards.

Vash

heyang

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Ant

I don't understand how Crash alleviated white guilt. None of the 4 white main characters were great people. They had their various flaws and all performed overt or covert racist acts. The movie is about how everyone has preconceived notions of people based upon their skin color. What were the 'wrong' examples?

If you're upset about not being in the same category as other Best Picture winners such as "Shakespeare in Love," "Titanic," "Mystic River," and "Million Dollar Baby," to name just a few of the embarrassingly bad films to take home the Golden Ken Doll, then get your award shows straight.

The Golden Globe Awards has a much more film literate voting group than "the Academy," as do many other awards. In fact, IMO, the Oscars have turned into the weenies of awards. Anybody and everybody in the Academy can vote for Best Picture, but only directors can vote for Best Director, actors for best Actor or Actress, and so on. So the vote of a grip (nothing against grips), or whomever, who only watches movies once a year when he gets the DVDs from the Academy so he can vote on Best Picture and thinks "Godzilla" got a raw deal when it wasn't nominated is equal with the vote of a film critic who's been seeing hundreds of films a year for decades.

Just watch Ebert and Roeper's "Notes to the Academy" for a pretty good idea of what the real quality films and performances are. (Does anybody else still have to catch themselves from saying "Siskel and Ebert"? Roeper's okay, but Gene was really smart and he and Roger had such great chemistry. Sigh.)

Rgirl

Vash01

Medalist
Rgirl said:
If you're upset about not being in the same category as other Best Picture winners such as "Shakespeare in Love," "Titanic," "Mystic River," and "Million Dollar Baby," to name just a few of the embarrassingly bad films to take home the Golden Ken Doll, then get your award shows straight.

Rgirl

Mystic River did not win the best picture Oscar. Are you talking about a different award?

Vash

The entire membership of the Academy votes whether they are knowledgeable or not. For years Jack Benny's wife, Mary Livingston always voted and never went to the movies from what I read.

It's not so important. It's glitter (and money). BTW, has anyone read about the earnings of both films for comparisons? The winner is to take a big lead in that direction.

Joe