A word from Japan about Mao and Shizuka | Golden Skate

A word from Japan about Mao and Shizuka

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Just a quick note to everyone writing from Tokyo. Both Mao and Shizuka are receiving an extraordinary amount of attention here, but actually Mao is even more in the spotlight. I have not turned on the television a single time without seeing Mao featured on talk shows, etc. She also has several endorsement deals for drinks among other things that there are often TV commercials for. Haven't seen any proof of endorsement deals for Shizuka yet, but there have been posters of her in many stores. They were also playing her Turnadot in Shibuya (that giant crosswalk you often see in pictures). Just some interesting information I thought you all might be interested in.
Ja ne!

MKFSfan

Medalist
:clap: Thank you for sharing! I really adore Shiz, and I'm looking forward to seeing Mao grow up over the next few years. She is so charming! I am surprised that in the aftermath of the OG, that Mao is more heavily featured. If it was 6 months after the fact, I could understand, Olympics get forgotten after awhile. And also since Mao didn't win Jr. Worlds.

Any word on what Shiz's immediate plans are? I know she's doing a skate tour in Japan, will Mao join her? And will Shiz be coming to America for some COI stops?

Thanks for the post, Awesome.

Maybe the Japanese corporate powers that be are going after the youth market, with Mao.

MM :)

Eeyora

Final Flight
MKFSfan said:
:clap:

Any word on what Shiz's immediate plans are? I know she's doing a skate tour in Japan, will Mao join her? And will Shiz be coming to America for some COI stops?

Shiz will be skating in COI in selected stops. I hope to see her in Boston.

flying camel

Medalist
I am not surprised that Mao is getting more attention. She comes accross as being more personable and friendly. Shizuka is more closed off and appears less approachable. That is something she can work on though.

I wonder if Yu-na Kim is getting any publicity in Korea. I remember in 1999 when Naomi Nari Nam did so well at U.S. Nationals and everyone was expecting great things of her, she signed a huge contract with (IIRC) a Korean car manufacturer to be their spokesperson. :rock:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Mao

Hmmm.....it's almost like the kiss of death for a young skater to get so much hype. I remember all the hype about the so-called "spoiler" in Torino. First it was going to be Carolina Kostner, then Kimmie, then Emily Hughes.

When will the media learn that it is almost impossible to predict the next great figure skating champion!! There is so much that goes into being a winner at any one competition.

I will be impressed if at 20 years old, Mao will still be a top elite skater.

Dizzy

R.D.

Record Breaker
dizzydi7 said:
Hmmm.....it's almost like the kiss of death for a young skater to get so much hype. I remember all the hype about the so-called "spoiler" in Torino. First it was going to be Carolina Kostner, then Kimmie, then Emily Hughes.

When will the media learn that it is almost impossible to predict the next great figure skating champion!! There is so much that goes into being a winner at any one competition.

I will be impressed if at 20 years old, Mao will still be a top elite skater.

Dizzy

ITA. Hype can only be counterproductive. I almost feel for Mao right now. Next year she'll be under IMMENSE pressure.

shine

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
I am not surprised that Mao is getting more attention. She comes accross as being more personable and friendly. Shizuka is more closed off and appears less approachable. That is something she can work on though.
Why would Shizuka want to "work on it" and change her way? I believe there are more than one kind of personality allowed in this world.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Shiz doesn't want the attention, fine by me. She's got the ultimate prize anyway and no one can take that away from her. Mao can have the spotlight.

Vampie

Spectator
Shizzle

I'm in Japan right now I see Shiz every day on TV.

She appears to be strong willed person, yet off ice she looks VERY natural and friendy person. She actually talks and laughs alot. That's nice surprise for me :love:

Vampie said:
I'm in Japan right now I see Shiz every day on TV.

She appears to be strong willed person, yet off ice she looks VERY natural and friendy person. She actually talks and laughs alot. That's nice surprise for me :love:
:agree: Thanks for posting, Vampie. Welcome to the forum!

Mathman :)

dizzydi7 said:
When will the media learn that it is almost impossible to predict the next great figure skating champion!!
My feeling is that the media don't really care whether their predictions work out or not. They just want a story for today's edition. Tomorrow there will be someone new to write about.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Mao

Mathman said:
My feeling is that the media don't really care whether their predictions work out or not. They just want a story for today's edition. Tomorrow there will be someone new to write about.

Of course Mathman, you are correct. The media doesn't care if their predicitions work out. Silly me to think that the media has any credibility whatsoever. It's all about selling their articles, books, etc.

It's a wise skater who understands the media and doesn't believe their own press. Perhaps that's been the secret of Michelle Kwan's success.

Dizzy

flying camel

Medalist
shine said:
Why would Shizuka want to "work on it" and change her way? I believe there are more than one kind of personality allowed in this world.

That is not what I meant. Of course there is more then one type of personality allowed in the world.