Article: Cohen May Turn To Acting Career | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Article: Cohen May Turn To Acting Career

K-Mo

On the Ice
I agree that she skates cleaner when there is less pressure, but as far as dissing the competition, will that make it feel less fulfilling to her if she wins? I doubt it, since it would finally be her World title, but I remember her saying that a National title would be more special if she beat Michelle to get it. I also remember how she was still confident after last year's Worlds because she came out ahead of the previous world champion... The things she says sometimes come back to contradict her.

I'm with Mathman and nymkfan. Now she has to win.

Vash01

Medalist
IMO what she says in the heat of the moment is less important than actually getting her name on that title. I don't think she feels less fulfilled about winning the US nationals just because Michelle was not there. Ultimately what will be remembered is the result and not how she won or who did she beat to get that gold medal. I don't think Sasha will feel less fulfilled.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm with Mathman and nymkfan. Now she has to win.

No, she doesn't have to win. Of course she would like to but she's not going to go to **** if she doesn't.

It's as I said in an earlier post - long before she actually admitted it. She can not sustain another 4 years of gruel for an elusive Oly Gold medal, The Japanese seem to be assuring her of that.

Her options which I mentioned were up to her to get on with life. Apparently she wants to stay in the limelight and go for it in acting. As long as she remembers that they no longer make Sonia Henie movies; that the current Pairs skating movies are with real actors and skaters are just stand-ins; that acting is more than looks to really be noticed in a medium that has thousands of hopeful beauty
wannabees.she could go ahead with this dream...Depending on Mr. Stiller, is there something beyond a cameo role in one of his every three year movies?

Is Sasha prepared to study acting (a must if she want to be another Flying Nun) she must learn the abc's of acting as she did the basics in figureskating. Flexibility is all over Hollywood. It's a tough field and looks alone will not get you an oscar which I presume Sasha will be anticipating.

Like most figure skating fans, we are hoping that Sasha gets her long awaited gold Worlds medal.

Joe

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
nymkfan51 said:
I am a bit perplexed about the USFSA article, though. They talk about "the kind of competitor" she is, then they include her quotes about competing in a "less dense field" and how much more enjoyable that will be. Sorry, but that is not the attitude I would expect of someone who "loves competing." You want to beat the very best. Now I certainly don't fault her about who she will be going up against, but I think her comments are a bit insulting to the other competitors who will be there.
Is the below quote the one you are commenting on?
“It's always easier when the competition isn't all there,” Cohen said. “To have a less dense field, there's less pressure. I'll be able to enjoy the skating. There'll be less tension.”
What is wrong with this comment?? I think she's paying Shizuka and Irina a big complitment. I don't think she was even thinking about the other competitors when she made this comment. I guess it’s obvious to me these were the 2 ladies she feared.

Your above quote and the highlighted words are your words not Sasha's. Why are you making such a big deal about it?

Dee

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm not making a "big deal about it" ... I'm offering my opinion ... which is what I thought we did here. Pardon me if I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that there is no longer the tension of Olympics-must-have gold in her resume. The two other podium finishes are not competing in Worlds. She's aware that it will not be difficult to get the World's gold. As the saying goes: it's hers to lose.. We'll know the results in less than a week.

Apparently, the figure skating career of Sasha is coming to an end. It seems she has a desire to be an actress - why not? Staying with the sport like show skating; coaching, choreography is not appealing. If one doesn't like what one is doing, and is able to change to something else, then go for it.

Good luck to Sasha at Worlds and in the future.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You are all valid!

These opinions are great. Maybe she will, maybe she won't, maybe she should, maybe she isn't going to be good at it.:agree:

Mine, I think she will be about as good as Tara at acting. She is very monotone and not that expressive outside of looking VERY pretty, and looking shocked or surprised - personally her "serious" look is kind of "bratty" looking - pretty but not approachable. She does have a good determined look about her, but if she is not having difficulty on the ice will she still "play" that look off. What about memory, consistency and focus. Already the questionable.
Really I don't see why "Pro" is not just jumped on for after the comp.s.
It would be nice to see her and Jenny Kirk do something charity wise. Or I would imagine it might be a "dis" to some, but Disney Princesses? If you really are secure with yourself I think It would just be fun! I would get a kick skating around in Beasts costume, yeh hah!. Anyway, I believe Lots of options, but still don't think she should leave the rink just yet!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Both Beauty and Gallantry

I don't think that Sasha was belittling anybody; on the contrary, she was honoring a couple of top competitors by saying she would find it easier not to have to compete with them at Worlds. I'm sure Irina and Shizuka would appreciate her having said that; it was a respectful tribute to both of them.

People tend to pick apart innocent statements by skaters, statements which seem perfectly reasonable when they are made, in the context of the interview taking place. I don't find anything that Sasha says in this interview, odd. I find it all very understandable. She is coming off an injury, and her own natural disappointment at not winning the gold at Torino. She has girded up her loins, so to speak, to compete at Worlds. At Torino, her coach made her rest for a day, without practice, between the short and long programs, because she had an injury that needed rest. She was "icing her leg" after the short program, they had said. So....I consider her competing at Worlds to be gallant and sportsmanlike, and I respect her greatly for it. I admit, I am a Sasha Cohen fan; I have been, for a long time. I am also an Irina Slutskaya fan, also for a long time. I shall continue to be a fan of both of them, and to wish them well in whatever course they pursue in life. My main hope for Sasha is that her injury be fully healed, and not trouble her, because I care more for her health than for the medals, but, because I know she would like to win the gold at Worlds, I hope she does. :)

I like this sentence at the end of the USFS article: "One thing is for certain, though: As long as her competitive spirit still burns, Sasha Cohen will continue to skate with the same beauty and grace that very few of us have ever before witnessed." Yes, that describes her well, "beauty and grace that very few of us have ever before witnessed". The way she got up off the ice after her LP errors at Torino, and skated her heart out, I should like to add "gallantry" to that description.

Sashaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sasha and gallantry

Definitions of gallantry -

heroism: the qualities of a hero or heroine; exceptional or heroic courage when facing danger (especially in battle); "he showed great heroism in battle"; "he received a medal for valor"
chivalry: courtesy towards women
polite attentiveness to women

Perfect use of the word!!!!:clap:

I would like to add to the accolades of Sasha one thing. She has defanatly matured her attitude over the past 2 years.:agree:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
I, for one, have always admired Sasha's "polite attentiveness to women." Go Sasha! :rock:
Math, have you been in the cooking sherry or what??!!:laugh: :laugh: What are you talking about?? hic, hic.

Dee

Dee, with my number one lady Michelle out of the running in Calgary, all virtues fall on my number 1.1, the gallant Ms. C. :yes:

Ileana

Rinkside
I just wish her luck in anything she decides to pursue. We all have things we want to try and we can't really know whether we truly like them or not, until we go for it. She's has a lot of personality, I think she'll be good in front of the cameras.

There is an article in today's Detroit Free Press that says Ben Agosto is looking for opportunities to do voice-over work. Supposedly, he has a nice voice and is good at impersonations.

MM :)