Men's Qualifying Group A - Results | Golden Skate

Men's Qualifying Group A - Results

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I swear, I'm the kiss of death... what is up with Eman? C'mon Eman! I have money riding on you... pull it together!!! :banging: :banging:

nicobeau

Spectator
Good free program for Stephane Lambien, no? Triple axel and 2 quad i think... This is his new personal reccord non?

Mafke

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
I swear, I'm the kiss of death... what is up with Eman? C'mon Eman! I have money riding on you... pull it together!!! :banging: :banging:

No, he's an energy vampire who doesn't _want_ to succeed, face the bitter facts already. (I was never a particular fan, so his oly SP (potentially an alltime great performance) turned me into a stark raving Sandhu-hater. Falling on the 3ax would have been unfortunate, popping it was unforgivable, not even trying, he was.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Lambiel was an American or Russian he probably would have cracked the 170 barrier. Still a great performance for him, he must be feeling healthy, and that is good to know.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
EvanLysacekFan said:
Yikes, Evan.

How much do these scores count for?

They factor it down to 0.25, which I interpret as meaning they divide it by 4 and that's the score they have going into qualifying. (Mathman, help me out here... :) ) At least that's how they did it last year, but miscellaneous stuff like this seems to change every season.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
No, he's an energy vampire who doesn't _want_ to succeed, face the bitter facts already. (I was never a particular fan, so his oly SP (potentially an alltime great performance) turned me into a stark raving Sandhu-hater. Falling on the 3ax would have been unfortunate, popping it was unforgivable, not even trying, he was.

:laugh: :laugh: I know, I know... but I simply cannot let it go... I love him. He's probably the most talented man in the field. Why can't he get it done? Is it mental, training, blood suckage? WHY???

So how do you feel about the new "strategy" of throwing a jump you KNOW you can't land, just for the attempt points? Now that pisses me off...

CDMM1991

Medalist
Whoa. Stephane is really ahead of the pack. We'll have to see how the other guys do and see where Evan ends up. I think he could definitely be in there for the bronze. I find him a very reliable skater. I'd like him to show the world that his bronze medal last year wasn't a fluke, though I think he proved that partly at the Olympics, he just needs to have a solid short.

dugyiho

Rinkside
It's unfortunate that Emanuel can't put it together in competitions. I go by Emanuel home rink quite often since my daughter takes skating lessons there. You should see what the guy can do in practices...quads, triples and fancy footworks all over the place. I believed he did a clean short program with a quad in it right before he left for Turin. But too bad it didn't happen for him at the olympics, he is really talented.:disapp: :disapp:

CDMM1991

Medalist
dugyiho said:
It's unfortunate that Emanuel can't put it together in competitions. I go by Emanuel home rink quite often since my daughter takes skating lessons there. You should see what the guy can do in practices...quads, triples and fancy footworks all over the place. I believed he did a clean short program with a quad in it right before he left for Turin. But too bad it didn't happen for him at the olympics, he is really talented.:disapp: :disapp:

That's the thing with Emanuel. No one doubts he can do it. He's the most talented skater in the world, yes including Plushenko. But that doesn't make him the best competitor. He's capable of being two-time Olympic Champion and five-time World Champion, but he hasn't, because he's not a good enough competitor. Heck, Alexei Mishin videotaped him at an exhibition once, to go back and show his skaters. That's a mark of a talented athlete.

Mafke

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
:laugh: :laugh: I know, I know... but I simply cannot let it go... I love him. He's probably the most talented man in the field. Why can't he get it done? Is it mental, training, blood suckage? WHY???

So how do you feel about the new "strategy" of throwing a jump you KNOW you can't land, just for the attempt points? Now that pisses me off...

A) IMHO Sandhu needs a tough-as-nails coach who can kick his lazy, unmotivated *** for about six hours every day without getting tired (or the temptation for showing mercy). Or Tarasova, if she could tame Yagudin at his bad boy worst, Sandhu wouldn't stand a chance against her (retired shmetired, we need to clone this woman!). While we're here, thinking of Sandhu makes me respect Cohen so much more, she may fall entirely too often but she goes for it, I dislike popping (as opposed to occasional doubling) far worse than outright falls. There's even a picture at Yahoo today with the caption (paraphrasing: Sandhu pops another one) He needs a coach who'll beat him with a stick every time he pops a jump.

B) That's the main reason I'm not a fan of Buttle, my head tells me the great things he's doing but nothing can convince me that he thought he had a reasonable chance of landing that quad in Torino. He skates too much from his (Calculator-like as Miz Pulaski so eloquently put it) head and not from his heart. (And I have the uncharitable idea that he uses those puppy-dog eyes in a very calculated way). But ... he's so close in so many ways to Wylie (an all-time fave of mine).

I'm enjoying this talk about Sandhu. Just starting to watch skating more seriously than every 4 years, and I INSTANTLY picked him as my favorite.

Then came the LP. Oh my stars.

Re: another thread - he would seem to be (at least acc to Plushenko and Mishin) a skater's skater, but not exactly according to my own definition (someone with all the qualities who is too unflashy for the public to appreciate). New definition: someone who has all the qualities and all the skaters know he WOULD be at the very top if only it weren't for (some reason that has nothing to do w/skating talent).

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Mafke said:

Actually, I think an "energy vampire" is one who sucks the energy out of everyone else in the room (and heaven knows I've dated enough of them to know) as opposed to one who sucks the vigor, spark, flair, technical ability, whatever, out of HIMSELF once the big moment rolls around. I admit the guy must have issues (and possibly a full subscription); he's been doing this kind of thing for TOO LONG now. ITA with mafke that a coaching change is in order; obviously Joanne McLeod has been letting certain mental aspects of his skating slide for way too long. Actually, if Mishin is impressed with him, maybe he could stand to be shuttled off to Russia for a year or two; THAT would probably whip him into shape. (I mean mentally; I, like many, love his skating WHEN HE'S ON, but he apparently has his on switch in a very remote area come competition time).

Now watch him win or make the podium just to shut us all up.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m feeling very happy for Stephane and Evan! Great that Stephane succeeded in triple axel and that Evan used his brain and got extra scores by executing two triple-triple combinations (a rarety in this competition) at the end of his programme. So sad for Sandhu, but that is nothing new...

Jasper

Final Flight
Mafke said:
B) That's the main reason I'm not a fan of Buttle, my head tells me the great things he's doing but nothing can convince me that he thought he had a reasonable chance of landing that quad in Torino. He skates too much from his (Calculator-like as Miz Pulaski so eloquently put it) head and not from his heart. (And I have the uncharitable idea that he uses those puppy-dog eyes in a very calculated way). But ... he's so close in so many ways to Wylie (an all-time fave of mine).

Well I don't agree about Buttle not skating with his heart, but I really think it's unfair to blame him for going for the quad in Torino. You can't blame the skater and his/her team for pulling a move like that, you have to blame the system. That's like blaming every single lady in the women's competition (including the gorgeous and innovative Sasha Cohen) for doing a catch-foot/biellman spin and spiral... the skaters know what they have to do to get points. Frankly, Jeff's go at the quad was smart as well as gutsy and brave!

Linny

Final Flight
Eman - how would that help?

Beating him with a stick when he pops a jump? How would that help? In fact, his coach is in a very difficult position - from reports, Eman skates like a god when he's not in competition. He apparently doesn't pop unless he's in front of the judges. Guess he's already tried sports therapy. Perhaps he could compete in something else, say, chess, to find whatever is missing from his brain that doesn't allow him to put on the ice in front of the judges what he's got in the practices? Such a shame. He really is the most talented skater of this generation.
Linny

So much for my opinion that Lambiel had peaked and was sliding downward. :laugh: Approx 40 points ahead of 2nd. Gee, Stephane, want to make your dominance any clearer? :chorus:

I am thrilled to be wrong about Lambiel. Wasn't really happy with his OWG skates and felt that is increase in muscle took away from the great effect his ability to isolate movement had. But I still feel he's a natural dancer, which IMO is great to see in such a terrific men's skater.

And I am :rock: rockin' out that Klimkin is 3rd--even if he is 30 points behind first. Would SO love to see Klimkin with a medal.

Good for Evan, even though he still doesn't grab me. My curiousity about how Weir will do is really piqued.

Rgirl

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mafke said:

I can understand your frustrations with Eman, i thankfully was prewarned about his very hit and miss consistency with his jumps before i ever got to see him skate, but still think you're being too harsh. I don't think its that he doesn't try and think he's probably trying to hard - you can see when he hits the quad (reasonably consistently after Plush and Lambiel probably the most consistent with it) you see him set up the axel and he tightens up on the set up and you know he's gonna pop it. For the record i think all the canadian men have scary technique on their axels - they look totally off balance on the set up RBO (or LBO for Eman) and petrified of the jump. I think he puts too much pressure on himself to land it and his head games kick in from there.

Ant