Men's Qualifying Group A - Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Qualifying Group A - Results

antmanb

Record Breaker
Jasper said:
Well I don't agree about Buttle not skating with his heart, but I really think it's unfair to blame him for going for the quad in Torino. You can't blame the skater and his/her team for pulling a move like that, you have to blame the system. That's like blaming every single lady in the women's competition (including the gorgeous and innovative Sasha Cohen) for doing a catch-foot/biellman spin and spiral... the skaters know what they have to do to get points. Frankly, Jeff's go at the quad was smart as well as gutsy and brave!

Also i don't understand Mafke's argument...he'd rather see Eman falling on a triple than popping a jump but he'd rather see Jeff land a triple toe than fall on the quad...you either have to go with one opinion or the other, not split it up around the skaters otherwise it looks like you don't hold a view because you believe in it you just want to criticise two skaters using both sides of one argument.

Ant

Mafke

Medalist
antmanb said:
Also i don't understand Mafke's argument...he'd rather see Eman falling on a triple than popping a jump but he'd rather see Jeff land a triple toe than fall on the quad...you either have to go with one opinion or the other, not split it up around the skaters otherwise it looks like you don't hold a view because you believe in it you just want to criticise two skaters using both sides of one argument.
Ant

I always present conflicting arguments, think of it as charm.
In Sandhu's case, popping just seems the worst possible option, downgrading to a double would be one thing (arguably wise in some cases), going for it and falling would be another (unfortunate but these things happen) but popping just seems so passive aggressive, not wanting to fall or try to land it. I agree about basic bad technique on the 3ax, but he pops it so often it's become his default technique.

In Buttle's case, as I (and a number of others) think he didn't expect to be able to land the quad but knew he could rack up some points just by rotating it, so there's an ugly fall to get some points. I blame COP more than him, but ...