• Network

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Public

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Important thing to note here, This is an after the competition factor here. The competition doesn't change, but what happens after would / will?

Intellectual Property issue here.
Who should retain the rights to the video?

Let's see, I wonder how many would say, "that's fine, all you'll do is make it more popular. And in-turn more spectators, hence more profits actually going to the performer." I guess thats why the "networks" don't like the idea - opinion.

I think it should be the skater / coach and a 10% goes to the "filmer." If nothing is made but publicity, then publicity is all anyone gets a piece of - that is up to the "artist." This goes back to control being in the hands of the artist.

If Michelle doesn't want her clip re ran on ESPN (maybe she doesn't like the NRA advertisement), then she (or agent - subject to their own ethics) should have every right to say yes or no and then it is either purchased from the performer or not ran.

"Sports Shows" make all the money from the advertisers buying the spots, just like a newspaper. If they "show" want's it, they need to buy it from the person responsible for "supplying" the spectators with the performance. Now what happens?

This is ONE OF THE REASONS (mainly taxs, but what's the dif when it's the "man") why the Beatles formed Apple records, and John and Yoko formed John Lennon Records.

Isn't it great to have a sport where this could even be compared to Actors / Musicians ownership.

That's the way I think it should be....what about you?

Last edited:

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Movies don't belong to actors, television programs don't belong to the performers, video footage of theatrical productions don't belong to the actors, dancers, or musicians . . . the rights to the event belong to the organizers, who sell the rights to the network or production company. In competitions, skaters are competing for prizes, and in show numbers or made-for-tv specials the skaters have already been compensated. The skaters have entered a contract with the event organizer that probably includes rights to images already. Having to approve every single skater's every program individually would basically make televised skating prohibitively expensive.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
iSkate downloads? I'd be watch'n / downloading right now.

A new future with a new wave of technology transaction.

And does it make it "right just because it is?

This may even be an opportunity for Musicians and skaters to collaborate.

What about a "pay for play" system? Listen to a song not the whole album, particularly in cases of sound tracks or compilations....

I would love to download a Irina track and know that 60% or more of the money will get to her and her Mother. This opposed to "taping" it would acutely cost me, but I would think a "publicist" would "living it up a little," and the performers deserve it. ?

ESPN airs it, makes the cash in hand and turns it over to the "artist" individually of corse. The "artist" then places it in the hands of the "publicist" who with their permission sells the rights to copy on a "pay for play or download" automated system? This seams to be the direction of "intellectual property," now that the "networks" are not the only way to view we are developing more choices.

The logo in the corner, still there. Sponsors on the boards, still there.

Busy as they maybe now, there's a time where that always inspirational performance should be always beneficial to them in the later years.

What about all the diehard Michelle fans, that '98 routine. I would love to see that one more time and not all the rest for 10 times the cost of buying just those 2 "tracks."

From Wikpidia - Many songwriters also serve as their own music publishers, while others have outside publishers. Legally, songs are considered intellectual property, and song copyrights can be bought, sold, or otherwise exchanged. Songwriting and publishing royalties can be a substantial source of income, particularly if a song becomes a hit record.

See the choice that is coming?

I still say defend the rights of the artist, they are out there working to get it together for us and themselves. They haven't got the time to fight for what's right in there future. Give them more than hope that they will be remembered, a better chance to always be seen - and not have to work at Home Depot.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
Movies don't belong to actors, television programs don't belong to the performers, video footage of theatrical productions don't belong to the actors, dancers, or musicians . . . the rights to the event belong to the organizers, who sell the rights to the network or production company. In competitions, skaters are competing for prizes, and in show numbers or made-for-tv specials the skaters have already been compensated. The skaters have entered a contract with the event organizer that probably includes rights to images already. Having to approve every single skater's every program individually would basically make televised skating prohibitively expensive.

This is not always true - most of the time it is - and things are changing in little ways that will make it slightly more conceivable rather then changing the whole "package."

The "organizer's" roll mentioned above is ... well ... not really correct, (still have to work with the agent who is a representative of the "performers") but I get your drift.

Check out - premiummedia.com, this might give you an idea of how performers are getting even more locked in at the start so the "wiggs" keep the cash that comes in later - and what's starting to change about it.

Last note: does Pearl Jam own there own Videos?