Costumes / Outfits, Out of control? | Golden Skate

Costumes / Outfits, Out of control?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Well this seems to be a topic of conversations occasionally, so let's get this one going too.

"Katarina Rule?"

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/20/sports/OLYSKATE.php

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/22/fashion.olympicoutfits.ap/index.html

http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/inside.html?ch=2
via costumes

First thought was the latest Olympics where the French Dance team had a costume that was pulled off to the sides to expose a barley covered chest with a few sequins in the "appropriate" places.

Belbin had raised a few eyebrows before - and she seems so sweet???

Most guidelines for attire state that anything "promoting nudity" or "excessive nudity" is not allowed. The "whipping off" of two thin chest coverings halfway thru a program would be considered getting "less dressed" by my observation. I DID feel that this should have disqualified them or prohibited them from wearing or doing.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? - PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO QUESTIONABLE DETAIL!!!!!!!! We are all of different moral values here and that should be respected!

Please Behave.

Seanibu, you don't really have to caution the regular contributors to this board about keeping their comments "appropriate." We're not really into that here.

Mathman

Ileana

Rinkside
I don't see the problem if they're doing it an classy way. I personally don't have a problem with skating outfits.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Actually the costume you were talking about was a Canadian dance team, Dubreuil and Lauzon, and I didn't find that one very inappropriate because it was very clearly fabric. On the other hand, Grushina and Goncharov's free dance costume makes her look almost like an "exotic" dancer! There is a rule that says that costumes can reflect the nature of the music, but they must be "athletic in nature". That costume crosses that line, IMO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
yes and thanks foir the correction.

As far as the forum getting out of line Mathman, that's good news. It is common place in other forums and hope you are not offended by the cautionary posture as well, I don't know as much as you when it comes to "the regular contributors" and the others that never have contributed before, even new members could come on board that have the tact of a "sailor" and offend someone. A pound of prevention....so what's your opinion?

CDMM1991, Thanks for the correction, it was liked by myself yet I believe there were comments made on the "wardrobe malfunction." That would regulate a review, possibly? Does any one check these issues, I'm sure they do. So who said yes?
Grushina and Goncharov's definitely ballroom, not exotic.

I don't think that it was any different than Katarina's costume that caused the Katarina rule. Didn't mind that either, but some one said the music was OK but the costume interpretation was not. ? Someone's outfit was more "feathery" then I have ever seen in any skating event. It was in the Olympics (ITL. maybe, I don't think it was...) and athletic in a "dance" event? Hope you understand the unclarity of most spectators here.

This is likely the reason half or more of the chairs are empty at these events, unclarity / tangible consistency. I look up the rules for people when they ask, but half the time we all scratch are heads saying, "why was that OK than.....?" I know I have seen "must not promote Nudity" and whether or not there was something underneath, what was there, is subject to the interpretation (being the largely the color "nude" with rhinestones that is commonly found in representation of exotic dancing) that she was undressing by a large number of veiwers. That was a lot different then exposing a bunch of flames under a oversized lapel.

You all seem to have legitimate knowledge and I am asking for your expertise or at least an oppinion. I guess if you don't like a larger fan base these questions should remain unasnwered and unclear, personally I believe that is why allot of people "back off." I know that opens everyone up to be snide and condescending to the lesser educated on the sport, but really there is a lot that want to enjoy it but just don't know how.

Last edited:

John King

Final Flight
You don't have to warn me about my comments,after all,I am a doctor(Actually I'm a gynecologist,but this is my lunch hour).

Look,if they can survive Denise Biellmann's bikinis,they can survive anything.

Linny

Final Flight
Empty seats?

Let me try to understand: some people think that skimpy costumes are responsible for empty seats? Methinks it might be the other way around...

As far as Grush's costume (and, actually, while her Oly white long program number is the most obvious, others costumes that the lovely Elaina has worn have this same problem): they gap.

IOWs, there are edges around the top where the fabric has clearance from her skin. I suspect that they are also padded. If they fit properly, they wouldn't look like a couple of flexible water jugs (what are those leather wine sacks called - Bolo bags?)

Linny

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Please - "forest, not justs individual trees.

"This is likely the reason half or more of the chairs are empty at these events, unclarity / tangible consistency."

same comment

unclarity / tangible consistency."

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
John King said:
You don't have to warn me about my comments,after all,I am a doctor(Actually I'm a gynecologist,but this is my lunch hour).

Look,if they can survive Denise Biellmann's bikinis,they can survive anything.
Goody, and I don't believe you.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
John King said:

:rofl: Yay for obscure Python humor!

I don't know whether the costumes are contributing to poor ticket sales, though I do think some costumes contribute to the writing of articles like one elsewhere on the forum about whether or not skating is a sport. I do think that ice dance, which already has problems being taken seriously within skating (dubious judging, and the absence of big-trick elements that gives it an unfair reputation as a dumping ground for skaters who aren't good enough to jump) really needs to crack down on some of the absurdities. Grushina's FD "dress" is frankly MORE tasteless than anything I've seen in Latin ballroom, which is generally a refuge for dresses that are more illusion net than dress. Well, maybe it's not as bad as that one fringe number that looked like a furry inverted triangle pointing...never mind, you probably don't want to know. I thought D/L's odd little trick with the shoulder straps (was that intentional or not?) was strange, but not tasteless. G/G's Striptease ensemble pushed the boundaries of good taste right off the ice.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer

You really have good insight sometimes, DLGTYH.

Thank you for the real.

sk8rmom

Rinkside
While I'll agree that some of this year's dance costumes were a little tasteless, I still have to laugh a bit while remembering Shae Lynne Bourne, who didn't appear to have a tasteless bone in her body....and the day her beautiful frothy strapless OD waltz gown slid down to her waist during competition. Ever the trouper...she pressed on, laughing the whole thing off afterward. :laugh: