Ladies Qualifying Round | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Qualifying Round

CDMM1991

Medalist
P.S. Yay Joannie! Keep it up! She beat her personal best score by almost five points!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Congrats to Rochette but I always have to raise an eyebrow re. the judging because the event is in CANADA this year...

When the scores are factored she won't be leading by that much. She's still got the SP and FS to go. Time and time again skaters start strong and wimp out at the end. It's just too soon to tell.

Joannie's as good as on the podium, even as we speak. The only question is whether she can beat Fumie for silver or Sasha for gold!

dugyiho

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Congrats to Rochette but I always have to raise an eyebrow re. the judging because the event is in CANADA this year...

When the scores are factored she won't be leading by that much. She's still got the SP and FS to go. Time and time again skaters start strong and wimp out at the end. It's just too soon to tell.

Yes, but if you check out her official website her and see clean long program at 2005 nationals, you won't be surprised that she CAN score so high. (if she skates clean that is.)

http://www.joannierochette.com/videos.htm

But you're right, it is too early to tell if she can hold up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Joannie's as good as on the podium, even as we speak. The only question is whether she can beat Fumie for silver or Sasha for gold!

I wouldn't mind her winning. She seems a good kid.

Suguri- she's alright...but since Arakawa already won Ladies' OGM I'm looking for someone other than Japan to win the world title. But I wouldn't absolutely HATE it if she won, though.

rain

Record Breaker
Yay for Rochette. Sounds like the judges are finally giving her skating the credit it deserves as well. That fifth place at the Olympics really put her on the map. I'm pleased it looks as if she didn't skate totally perfect either - gives her that next step still to achieve - hopefully in the LP!

Antilles

Medalist
I think nerves might get to Joannie. I'm sure it's harder to concentrate when you know the podium is in reach. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she did not leave her best performance in the qualifying round.

CDMM1991

Medalist
The best case scenario would proabably be for her to have a so-so short program, similar to that of the Olympics, so that she doesn't have the pressure going into the freeskate, that could lead to a meltdown. Maybe a fourth place leading into the short?

Jasper

Final Flight
Mathman said:

I don't agree. There's work to be done, and Joannie has to hold her nerve. Nakano lingers as a spoiler, I feel, just because she is such a consistent jumper and will post good TES in every round.

coolio

Rinkside
I would say that Kimmie is the one that will be the spoiler, she consistently scores higher on PCS and she is no fragile jumper comparing to Yukari and Yoshie. But it will take a lot of heart for her to beat Fumie.

But it's about time Sasha wins her first world...:rolleye:

Jasper

Final Flight
coolio said:
I would say that Kimmie is the one that will be the spoiler, she consistently scores higher on PCS and she is no fragile jumper comparing to Yukari and Yoshie. But it will take a lot of heart for her to beat Fumie.

But it's about time Sasha wins her first world...:rolleye:

Meissner could do it too, but she didn't put down a great under-pressure performance at the Olympics. I think she needs her triple-triples to be a threat.

coolio

Rinkside
Jasper said:
Meissner could do it too, but she didn't put down a great under-pressure performance at the Olympics. I think she needs her triple-triples to be a threat.
True, that is why she wont medal. Joanne is a much bigger fan of home crowd and she skates on momentum which is shifting her way of course. I say she is a contender for gold as she has beaten Fumie various times. It only takes one mistake for Cohen to lose her gold....yet again...

CDMM1991

Medalist
Very interesting! Even though the difference will be tiny after the factoring, Rochette beat Suguri by a few points! The judges are certainly ready to give it to her, but she'll still have to skate for it.

graceness

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
I wouldn't mind her winning. She seems a good kid.

Suguri- she's alright...but since Arakawa already won Ladies' OGM I'm looking for someone other than Japan to win the world title. But I wouldn't absolutely HATE it if she won, though.

Jeez, Red Dog, why not root for the best skater to win? So Japan doesn't deserve to have the Ladies' OGM AND World champion? C'mon. That's hardly fair to Suguri.

GO Fumie!