Ladies Qualifying Round | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Qualifying Round

coolio

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Goodness, Fumie beat Kimmie by four one-hundredths of a point.
Yup, just like I have expected, sort of surprised though that Fumie actually beats Kimmie in PCS. But they wont be on top soon since Sasha Cohens will just come out with a bang. She never falters until DURING the long program...:).

Jasper

Final Flight
I think Fumie is stronger than Kimmie in the PCS, so I'm not surprised. Kimmie doesn't have that level of sophistication and artistry just yet.

coolio

Rinkside
Jasper said:
I think Fumie is stronger than Kimmie in the PCS, so I'm not surprised. Kimmie doesn't have that level of sophistication and artistry just yet.
True....but I have mostly pictured Fumie as a stronger jumper than Kimmie. It will be interesting to see how well Kimmie can skate under pressure, she has obviously come out as the best next generation skater. I think this could be one of the best finishes that a female American skater can get at her first world.

Alsace

On the Ice
So much for the idea that Sasha only messes up in the long program. 2.00 deduction according to ISU website. I was hoping she'd just done something merely dumb, like finish behind the music.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Goodness, Fumie beat Kimmie by four one-hundredths of a point.

And once it's factored in, a virtual tie... it's a .01 difference!

coolio

Rinkside
Ouch.....so Joanna is going to be first going into short program, that is only going to help her. But Sasha is still going to be in the final group, but beaten by Irina 2 yrs ago, by Shizuka last yr, and this time probably Joannie....that is just gonna make her one sad sad girl.

Saundy

On the Ice
I am in shock. I refreshed the page expecting to see Sasha on top and she's in THIRD?

Then again...it's only the qualifying. Afterall, look at Eman. Hopefully she'll bounce back in the short.

Of course I can't lie that I'm happy for Joannie...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Y'all have to remember the competition has just begun. The scores are really close among the top skaters (plus, they have to be factored by 4) and in the long run, QR doesn't matter much.

dugyiho

Rinkside
I am so happy for Joannie being first. But it's likely that she might drop a couple of places for the short, since others might do a triple/triple for the short. Hopefully she not under too much pressure now that being first and keep her focus for the rest of the competition.

Last edited:

Saundy

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Y'all have to remember the competition has just begun. The scores are really close among the top skaters (plus, they have to be factored by 4) and in the long run, QR doesn't matter much.

You are exactly right, Red Dog, but it matters if you do bad in the QR, ex: Eman, and then do good in the short and you still can't get ahead because the people who did good in the QR also did good in the short.

So, it does kinda matter a little bit. But you're right, the competition has just begun and ALOT can happen.

Alsace

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

It still matters! Sasha lost nearly an entire point to Fumie after factoring.

coolio

Rinkside
Still, having Kimmie scoring higher than Sasha in her first world's is just surprising (Emily also beat Sasha in TES). I say losing Olympics gold took a lot out of her, but I guess she really wants to win the world pretty bad. While expected, gotta give her kudos for scoring the highest PCS in qualifying

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Saundy said:
You are exactly right, Red Dog, but it matters if you do bad in the QR, ex: Eman, and then do good in the short and you still can't get ahead because the people who did good in the QR also did good in the short.

So, it does kinda matter a little bit. But you're right, the competition has just begun and ALOT can happen.

You've got a point there, too. In a close call the QR CAN matter. But a LOT can happen in the SP and FS to change things.

It still matters! Sasha lost nearly an entire point to Fumie after factoring.

I consider anything closer than 1 point to be very close. Unless Suguri skates well and Cohen messes up again in EITHER the SP or FS, it should be even once again.

and I think that'll happen, too

Last edited:

Jasper

Final Flight
I think Sasha has been too busy with media and Hollywood hopes to train properly for this Worlds. I think she's come in unprepared and she knows it. But she'll do better in the short and give herself a good look at the gold, for sure.

Alsace

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
I consider anything closer than 1 point to be very close. Unless Suguri skates well and Cohen messes up again in EITHER the SP or FS, it should be close once again.

I just don't want to see another USA skater miss out on a medal, Gold or otherwise, because of qualifying.