Ladies Qualifying Round | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Qualifying Round

Saundy

On the Ice
Jasper said:
I think Sasha has been too busy with media and Hollywood hopes to train properly for this Worlds. I think she's come in unprepared and she knows it. But she'll do better in the short and give herself a good look at the gold, for sure.

I'm starting to lean towards that too. But didn't she have a slight injury all season and during the Olys?

Saundy

On the Ice
Alsace said:
I just don't want to see another USA skater miss out on a medal, Gold or otherwise, because of qualifying.

I would LOVE to see a Canadian WOMAN actually win a world medal. This 20 year drought has gone on too long in my opinion.

Alsace

On the Ice
Saundy said:
I would LOVE to see a Canadian WOMAN actually win a world medal. This 20 year drought has gone on too long in my opinion.

This may be your year!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Jasper said:
I think Sasha has been too busy with media and Hollywood hopes to train properly for this Worlds. I think she's come in unprepared and she knows it. But she'll do better in the short and give herself a good look at the gold, for sure.

For her, better to mess up now when in the QR when it doesn't really count than in the SP or FS when the points DO accumulate. It sort of reminds me of when Kwan does really bad in the QR but rebounds in the SP and FS. I worry more actually for those who came out strong now. Will they be able to keep it up through the SP and FS?

coolio

Rinkside
Saundy said:
More like 30 YEARS......I say it's about damn time we get a gold in womem's skating. Win the gold and let's have Cynthia back and challenge the podiums.

Saundy

On the Ice
coolio said:
More like 30 YEARS......I say it's about damn time we get a gold in womem's skating. Win the gold and let's have Cynthia back and challenge the podiums.

Naw, it's been 20. Not even 20 actually. Liz Manley won the silver in '87 or '88 I THINK. I know she won a medal. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong.

flying camel

Medalist
Boy, we just cannot count on Sasha. I did not get my hopes up this time and I am still disappointed. She may not even medal let alone win. ;o(

kyla2

Final Flight
Sasha

I think the only motivating factor this year for Sasha was the Olympics and now that it is over, so is she. I don't think she really wants to be at Worlds. I also think she is still somewhat injured. I love Sasha but she probably shouldn't have gone under the circumstances. She was way too busy after the Olympics with a PR type agenda. I just don't think her heart is in skating right now. I suspect that her mother and the ISU felt otherwise though, which is why she went. I hope Fumie can win this one. It would be some justice after her Olympic placement in my opinion. But it is still wide open and close enough for anything to happen. Rochette could win also, and Kimmie if she is on top oif her game. But I don't want to see them hand it to anyone with a flawed program, over someone with a clean program. I am sick of that nonsense.

coolio

Rinkside
Saundy said:
Naw, it's been 20. Not even 20 actually. Liz Manley won the silver in '87 or '88 I THINK. I know she won a medal. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong.
Sorry...I meant gold......but either way...I say it's about time.

Last edited:

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Can someone PLEASE explain how Sasha falls twice, lands only three triples, and still is in third place? And how the heck does she have the highest PCS of the night? I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

Saundy

On the Ice
Looks like Mira just did decently too.

Oh my...I'm gonna be a nervous wreck all week now. :laugh:

coolio

Rinkside
Saundy said:
Looks like Mira just did decently too.

Oh my...I'm gonna be a nervous wreck all week now. :laugh:
Not good enough to hang with those American skaters her age, PCS way too low.
She better raise it otherwise she will never beat Emily or Kimmie.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Y'all have to remember the competition has just begun. The scores are really close among the top skaters (plus, they have to be factored by 4) and in the long run, QR doesn't matter much.

This is true. I must admit I was still in the '6.0' frame of mind until I went over this thread again. I plum forgot about the new COP scenario! :eek:

I'm putting bets on Joanne!! I love this girl! :clap:

Sasha I love you too but I'm not feeling it for ya'. :/

Then again-I love that Fumie too!! I think she's HUNGRY for this title!

chania36

On the Ice
I am canadian and yes I hope that Joannie wins, but I feel that and wish that the best skater win. Dont we want all fairness, I just cant believe that Sasha fell twice...

Joannie is a very very stong skater, I know that sometimes her nerves gets to her, but she is quite consistant and last year when she won her first nationals in front of Cynthia Phaneuf, the year before that winner, well last year when she competed against Cynthia, was defending her title and she did a mess, she has a uge problem Cynthia with her nerves, she collpases when under pressure... She had a great year last year, not the past season, and she was into the grnd prix final and she finished last, she just callpased, she was not able to land any jumps and now, she was off all season, she has some injury and when she was seen at the last canadian, she did not skate she said that she is having problems because of her body changes, she is quite different, wait till you see her next year, she is very different, I almost did not recognized her at national when she was there just to watch. so beetween her and Joannie, I would put my money of Joannie where nerves are concernes, so I will wish for Joannie that she can skate clean and she has the big tricks too, she can do a triple triple combination, she done it when she won her first canadian title. So she can do it if she feels fine for it.

So good luck to everyone who will skate in that events and may the best win that day....

Wow! I am so psyched for Joannie! Yes!

As for Group A, I know it ain't over, but see? I told ya Kimmie was up in the stands at the Olympics not thinking how she could learn from "the veterans," but rather, "I can take every one of 'em." :laugh: I mean that as a compliment. Kimmie is hungry, she's competitive, she's got good technique, she's full of youthful energy, and she's not full of the aches and pains of the veterans. Of course she lacks experience, which may show up as the event continues. OTOH, Kimmie is one determined young lady. Man-o-man! 1/100th of a point behind Suguri. That is something.

Congrats, of course, to Fumie, as well. In '02 she came from a disappointing OWG to win World bronze. Maybe this time the medal will be....? Best wishes to her.

Sasha's third in her group and fifth overall, and although I find it hard, I have to remind myself that placement means nothing under COP. It's the points. She fell twice for a 2.00 deduction and basically is 1.00 out of first place with 27.59 points. Of course, this doesn't mean she won't fall again in the SP and/or LP and 1.00 or 2.00 herself off the podium.

Rochette is definitely the story of the Q rounds. Combining both groups, the top six play out:
Rochette 29.28
Nakano 27.79
Suguri 27.47
Meissner 27.46
Cohen 27.59
Hughes 25.68

Too early for me to tell, though my heart is with Joannie and Sasha. Joannie because I think she's been undermarked all season; Cohen because I think her body is the most beat up and IMO this is her last chance to win World gold, or perhaps any kind of gold. Sasha made me think of Jill Trenary the other day. Well-trained and gorgeous, but she was a hairball of nerves on the ice. A real shame.

Of course I want all medalists to deserve them with their skating. The above is just sentiment.

Rgirl