Would you rather win World Championship or a Olympics Medal? | Golden Skate

Would you rather win World Championship or a Olympics Medal?

coolio

Rinkside
Zhang and Zhang won Olympics medal but had never won any World Championship.
If it were you, would you rather win a silver in Olympics or a world championship?

Jasper

Final Flight
I think I'd take an Olympic silver over a World gold, but not an Olympic bronze.

coolio

Rinkside
2nd best, 3rd best in Olympics...whats the difference?....
For me, unless I get more prize money in Olympics, I would rather be king once.

kyla2

Final Flight
How About This

How about this-who would I rather be historically, Michelle Kwan, or Shiz, Tara, or Sarah? No contest, let me be Michelle.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It is one thing to compare a multiple World titles with Oly medal, simply because scarcity has a value of its own, and, four or five World golds are scarcer than one OGM. However, one Oly medal will have greater scarcity value than one World medal of the corresponding color.

kyla2

Final Flight
The Point Is....

One OGM does not a legend make. Who remembers the OGM in figure skating from 1957, and furthermore, who gvies a damn?

coolio

Rinkside
kyla2 said:
One OGM does not a legend make. Who remembers the OGM in figure skating from 1957, and furthermore, who gvies a damn?
The feeling of winning a title beats having a bronze medal at Olympics.
Olympics or no Olympics, you are a loser however you want to look at it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think each medal carries its own amounts of memories, experience, etc. It's not really the medal itself but what you did to get it. And that means something different to everyone. And few skaters are in positions to win medals at these events, anyway, if you think of the number of figure skaters in the world. JMO

MsLutzy

Rinkside
I'd take the Olympic silver. It's just my opinion, but I think Olympic medals are more special. Definitely scarcer than World medals, because they only come once every four years, and the whole world pays more attention to that. There's also the whole Olympic experience that comes behind that medal. To me, it woudl be worth a lot more.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also agree with the above post. The olympics are a unique experience: the worlds come every year.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
I hope you mean 1956 when they were held, and that would be Tenley Albright and the older Jenkins, Hayes Allen, who I think is the one Carol Heiss is married to, and I do give a damn.

But the question was, would you rather win a World gold medal or an Olympic silver or bronze medal.

So, for instance, comparing the Olympic podium in 1956 with the world champions in 1957, would you rather be:

David Jenkins (Hayes Allen's brother), the 1956 Olympic bronze medalist....or...

David Jenkins, the 1957 World Champion?

And would you rather be Carol Heiss, the 1956 Olympic silver medalist, or Carol Heiss, the 1957 World Champion? :scratch:

MM :)

Jasper

Final Flight
I notice in mainstream media, a World champion and Olympic silver/bronze medallist would be referred to as the Olympic medallist... it's a bigger deal to most people and non-skating fans can understand it.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I hope you mean 1956 when they were held, and that would be Tenley Albright and the older Jenkins, Hayes Allen, who I think is the one Carol Heiss is married to, and I do give a damn.

I too give a damn. :thumbsup:

Good grief. Some people are so bittah soundin'!

I think it was former sprinter Evelyn Ashford who once said on tv 'you can win 10 World Championships and no one remembers you. You can win one Olympic medal and people might remember you forever'. There are so many more people watching the Olympics. About a billion I think versus a 'few' million during a Worlds event depending on the sport. Maybe that's why.

temujin

Rinkside
MsLutzy said:
I'd take the Olympic silver. It's just my opinion, but I think Olympic medals are more special. Definitely scarcer than World medals, because they only come once every four years, and the whole world pays more attention to that. There's also the whole Olympic experience that comes behind that medal. To me, it woudl be worth a lot more.

I also agree with this post, all else being the same.

However, if there was something special about a particular World championship then that could change my opinion. For example, coming back from a serious injury/illness and skating a "perfect" program to win a World championship against a strong field that also skates really well would be high on my list of accomplishments.