Men's Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

Lambiel more than redeemed himself for me by a great relaxed skate--at least it looked relaxed--in which all of his gorgeous movement qualities and dance ability returned, plus his superb jumps and spins. Two-time world champ, very well deserved. :rock:

Joubert comes back from near obscurity to skate like the guy we were all (well, most) so excited about back in '02/03. IMO, his best skate ever. :chorus:

And Lysecek does it again! Fights his way back from the dregs with perhaps the best free skate. This guy is determined to win me over! Let's just go ahead and say he definitely has. :clap:

Congratulations, guys.

New interest: Tomas Verner from the Czech Republic. Young and raw, needs better training, but many superb basics. Among others, I'll be looking for Verner. Plus he skated to music from "Requiem for a Dream." My kind of guy!

Loved Klimkin's music, too; but then, I always do, as well as his skating, even when he implodes. Was sorry to hear of all the turmoil and sadness in his life the past couple of years. He's always been his own man on the ice, judges be damned. Call me a fan from day one.

Okay, ladies. You've got a lot to live up to in terms of what the men put down. Here's hoping they are just as exciting.

Rgirl

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl,

ITA with your entire post. You hit the nail on the head about Lambiel being relaxed, or at least relaxed-looking. It makes all the difference in the world to the quality of his movement, and makes his performance whole.

IMO Matrix was the best program of Joubert's to date, and I was hoping he'd develop from there. His changes of speed to the top and bottom rhythms of that music is seamless, and he uses his back exceptionally well. I think his LP's since then have regressed back to his early Untouchables program, and he now has the opportunity to start from Matrix again. What a great performance.

Verner has lovely edges. I think he has potential to go a lot farther than he has to date.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I agree that Lambiel looked relaxed (and confident). That was great for him, because he was the last to skate, and Joubert had been faultless. Lambiel must have nerves of steel.

Olderbear

Rinkside
What happened to Johnny?

Two bad LP performances in a row does not auger well. I'm really disappointed in him. Oh well, wait'll next year.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
coolio said:
Well, Emmanuelle is learning and improving,

Learning and improving? He's hardly a junior anymore. He's just merely erratic, which many would consider to be putting it more than a bit diplomatically.....

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm delighted that the gold medal went to reigning champ Lambiel & not to the arrogant self-styled 'sexpot on ice' Babou, who should be thrilled with his silver medal, after such a rough year.

HUGE BRAVOS TO EVAN's Bronze!!!!! :clap:

Stephane & Evan -- two humble, down-to-earth gentlemen. :agree:

May the ladies event see a humble, down-to-earth winner, too (such as Joannie, Kimmie, Fumie or Yukari)! :rock: :rock: :rock:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
ladysarahchatto said:
I love Vivaldi! I love that Lambiel is skating to it but I still don't understand the dead Zebra he wears for a costume. :/

Yep. Stephane was fantastic too! Awesome night of Men's skating imo! :)

I think all the different colors and patterns on Stephane's costume are meant to symbolize the four seasons- green/blue (however your TV screen projects it) for spring, white for snow/winter, red for summer heat, and whatever the 4th color is for fall (yellow??, although I'm probably wrong with this fourth color). At least his costume, just like the other 2 medalists, are theme-appropriate compared to Weir's. Weir's FS was just dead...I understand he's injured (back spasm) but that is no excuse to not have the artistic spark he had last season (even at 05 Worlds where he struggled to a less extent). He had that second 3 flip in a bag, fully rotated and good angle with no lean in the air, he just gave up on the landing; that lack of commitment toward the end (in fact to his whole) of his program was most evident when he started to lose speed in his crossovers and he then popped his 3 loop. What could have been a nice redemptive FS to cap off a mixed season (good start with the quad and 3 axel and 3z) wound up uninspired. Good luck to him next season; he needs some soul searching.

I am so proud of Emanuel and Evan; for them to live up to the enormous pressure, particularly for Eman on home turf was just admirable. And I have to admit, I never was an Eman hater, just frustrated when he popped his jumps.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
I'm delighted that the gold medal went to reigning champ Lambiel & not to the arrogant self-styled 'sexpot on ice' Babou, who should be thrilled with his silver medal, after such a rough year.

Stop it... you know that Brian is the hottest thing on two blades... and a bit of arrogance never hurt anybody & anyway he's french! (and hot to death!!!)

flying camel

Medalist
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, I thought he was going to start crying like a little girl when he fell. He seemed like he didn't want to get up.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, I thought he was going to start crying like a little girl when he fell. He seemed like he didn't want to get up.

That's just mean... (Granted, my son did say the same thing...)

Wasn't he hurt or something? or was that for drama's sake?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
That's just mean... (Granted, my son did say the same thing...)

Wasn't he hurt or something? or was that for drama's sake?

he's been fighting back pain (last year foot, this year back)

I'm not sure what's wrong with Johnny's injury wise or anything but even I felt bad for him this time around. I love Otonal... the final footwork section sings when he truly feels the program...

but I am overly thrilled for Stephane and Evan!!!!!! I love my boys! :clap:

dugyiho

Rinkside
I am surprised that Jeff popped his both of his axels. I thought usually he would at least try to rotate his jumps since he would get more points. He usually very good at improvising and calculate what he needs to do during the program. That olympic must took a lot of energy out of him. Well, I am still proud of his performance at the olympics and the grand prix series for this season. He'll be back!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olderbear said:
Two bad LP performances in a row does not auger well. I'm really disappointed in him. Oh well, wait'll next year.
Again I will preface all my statements with that Johnny is one of my favorites. Thank you Olderbear, I agree, what is going on with him. Here's the positives I see:

Attempted the quad and gets :clap: :clap:
Skated with back muscle spasms :clap:: :clap:
Skated even though he didn't want to be there :clap: :clap:

..........and the biggest for me was seeing Camille again. :clap: :clap:

The negatives:

Showed lack of enthusiasm :mad:
Was being a big baby :mad:
Set himself up for failure :mad:
Denied his fans his wonderful skating :mad:
Can't put two clean programs together :mad:

I wonder if Priscilla Hill is too nice to him??

Dee

Jill

On the Ice
Well said, Dee. I've said it before and I'll say it again, win or lose, I love Johnny. I just wish he'd either learn to love skating or take up hair styling or interior decorating or something.

And while I'm on the subject, I read somewhere that he was disappointed with the Olympics and was bugged about everyone taking shots at him. Why? Since when does Johnny Weir give a rip about what anyone thinks? Or is all that just an act??? Makes one wonder.....

Well, anyway, I wish him the best for next season.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kwanford Wife said:
Stop it... you know that Brian is the hottest thing on two blades... and a bit of arrogance never hurt anybody & anyway he's french! (and hot to death!!!)

Sorry, I don't do pudgy & tasteless (the 007 thing, for starters). Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Now Evan -- oooh-la-la!!! That's my idea of a classy hunk!

zeytin

Rinkside
i watched lambiel's programm and some parts of joubert's and evan's fp in eurosport ladies sp coverage...i liked all of three but it seems to me joubert was the highlight in sp and fp...i'm too happy with the results...lambiel was so cute at the end of his programm...it must be hard to skate after a clean skate from joubert...but he handled it...congrats to lambiel!!!! :)
and evan was also very happy after his great performance..i'm happy that he landed 4-3! go boys! i think we don't need plushenko more to watch clean programms...here are the new medalist...

zeytin

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lambiel did not have his triple axel counted and it was counted as a double instead. That is so stupid, it is the kind of unfair treatment he has always had to put up with, but as I said with everybody bending over backwards to work agianst him he still comes out on top. He would have scored over 160 if his triple axel was counted as it SHOULD have, it was in no way underrotated enough not to count.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Lambiel did not have his triple axel counted and it was counted as a double instead. That is so stupid, it is the kind of unfair treatment he has always had to put up with, but as I said with everybody bending over backwards to work agianst him he still comes out on top. He would have scored over 160 if his triple axel was counted as it SHOULD have, it was in no way underrotated enough not to count.

AAACK! For crying out loud, what's it going to take to convince you that people like Lambiel? He's got two World Championships and an Olympic silver medal, and you're still not happy. Do the judges have to build him a shrine?
Maybe you should switch to decaf.
xoxo
Rave