World's Mini Medals | Golden Skate

World's Mini Medals

Saundy

On the Ice
How do these work?
Are they given out in each the short and long programs and the compulsory, orig, and free dances?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Yep. For example, tho Inoue & Baldwin finished 4th in Pairs, they will get a "mini bronze" for their 3rd-place free skate.

Alsace

On the Ice
Yes, they do. You can sometimes see the skaters pictured with their mini-medals in the various skating magazines.

Linny

Final Flight
Mini-medals

Sometimes the horse/riders who finish first in a particular phase of an Eventing competition (where they do dressage, cross country and stadium jumping at most and roads/tracks and steeplechase also at others) get a mini-medal or an award for being first after a phase (usually dressage).

Linny

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Teresa Dawn said:
That's a bit odd, I haven't heard of this before lol! Do they always do this?

I believe they've been doing it for at least 40 years. Just think, there's a whole slew of skaters we've probably never even heard of who have a bunch of Worlds compolsury figure medals stuck in shoebox someplace...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm not sure they are either, I've never heard them mentioned.

What I want to know is, when and how do they get them? I know they don't have an actual ceremony in front of the audience. Do they give them out at the closing banquet (my guess), or do they get them in the mail a couple of weeks later?

tarotx

On the Ice
I think the top three after qualifying&short gets the mini medals. It's a combined thing.

Jasper

Final Flight
Crazy, I've never heard of mini-medals.

Did they give them out for the two phases at the Olympics?

Saundy

On the Ice
Jasper said:
Crazy, I've never heard of mini-medals.

Did they give them out for the two phases at the Olympics?

They're not given out at the Olys.
Just Junior Worlds and Senior Worlds.

1hunter

Spectator
world's mini medals

I am glad that they give out these medals. After watching the Free Dance tonight Drob/Vanagas of Lithuania will get a World's mini Silver Medal for coming 2nd in the freedance. Well deserved by them.

Another person who received a world's mini medal and never won a world championship is Toller Cranston. I think he won the long program and might have been the bronze medalist in a world championship.

Your thoughts???
Anyone else you can think of that won one of these medals and never won a world medal or world championship?

Mafke

Medalist
1hunter said:
Your thoughts???
Anyone else you can think of that won one of these medals and never won a world medal or world championship?

Limiting myself to gold medals, I can think of a few women right away.

Janet Lynn? I think the practice began while she was still competing.
Kira Ivanova?
Nancy Kerrigan?
Nicole Bobek?

Whoever won figures in 81 and 82? (for sure not the final winners)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
1hunter said:
Your thoughts???

I'm actually going into my archives to do a little checking on this one because I think some of the names that would pop up would be fascinating.

brb :laugh:

OK. 1981 Worlds. Compulsory Figures, Ladies. Gold, Claudia Kristofics-Binder of Austria, Silver, Deborah Cotrill of Great Britain, Bronze, Kristiina Wegelius of Finland. (These were the 82 figures medallists as well, only Wegelius and Cotrill switched places)

1982 Worlds - Men's Compulsories. Gold, Jean-Christophe Simond of France (he won quite a few of these; he was the figures whiz of the early 80s), Silver, Scott Hamilton, Bronze, David Santee.

More later; I'll have to do some math to figure out short program medals and stuff, plus my clippings from the early 80s are not often very complete since skating was relegated to the back page of the sports section in those days. It would be very interesting to see a list of these medallists year by year; the ISU should get on this in their Past Results section, only it would probably stir up a hornets nest from people wondering why, if certain people were so good in free skating, how come they never won anything??

Mafke

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
I'm actually going into my archives to do a little checking on this one because I think some of the names that would pop up would be fascinating.

brb :laugh:

OK. 1981 Worlds. Compulsory Figures, Ladies. Gold, Claudia Kristofics-Binder of Austria,

It would be very interesting to see a list of these medallists year by year; the ISU should get on this in their Past Results section, only it would probably stir up a hornets nest from people wondering why, if certain people were so good in free skating, how come they never won anything??

I remember Kristofics-Binder, didn't she win a European title in there somewhere? (maybe not, Biellman won 1981 and maybe Witt already won 1982) I think she won a world bronze or two. IIRC she was a pleasant enough free skater for the time, before triples became big deal for ladies, but what I remember most about her was a major leg wrap.