World's Mini Medals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World's Mini Medals

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Mafke said:
I remember Kristofics-Binder, didn't she win a European title in there somewhere? (maybe not, Biellman won 1981 and maybe Witt already won 1982) I think she won a world bronze or two. IIRC she was a pleasant enough free skater for the time, before triples became big deal for ladies, but what I remember most about her was a major leg wrap.

Binder won the Euros in 82 and the World bronze in 81 and 82. (Witt didn't have her figures good enough till 83). I don't actually remember the leg wrap (I was pretty young at the time) but I do remember my mother COMMENTING on the leg wrap at the Lake Placid Olympics (where I believe Binder was 7th). :laugh:

Haven't gotten around to doing more math yet (for those who are curious enough to care). Got sidetracked washing my windows....:biggrin:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Here is a list of some rather interesting Europeans and Worlds mini-medalists; many of these skaters can be found in the WHO THE **** IS ....." file....

85 Europeans:
Compolsuries: Gold, Fernand Fedronic (France), Silver Josef Sabovic, Bronze Heiko Fischer (West Germany) [Fischer has a lot of these in his collection]

88 Europeans:
Compolsury Dance Bronze: Kathrin & Christoff Beck of Austria.

89 Europeans:
Compolsury Figure Gold medalist: Richard Zander of West Germany; he won another one in 90.
Compulsury Figures Ladies Medallists: Claudia Leistner, gold; Joanne Conway (Great Britain), silver; Natalia Gorbenko (USSR), bronze.

89 Worlds:
Figures bronze: Natalia Lebedeva (USSR); Ms. Lebedeva also won the figures and short program golds at the 90 Euros.

Also from 90 Euros:
Figures silver, Patricia Neske (West Germany) [she has a few mini-medals floating around, too], Figures bronze, Natalia Skrabenevskaya (USSR, if the name didn't give it away :laugh: )
Compulsury Dance bronze: Klara Engi & Attila Toth of Hungary; this was a wonderful, under-rated team, who much like Deloebel & Scheonfelder, had an extremely difficult time getting respect from the judges.

92 Worlds:
Check this -- Free Skating Bronze, Laetitia "Human Zamboni" Hubert!!!

93 Euros
Men's Short Program - Gold, Dmitri Dmitrenko (Ukraine), who did actually win the whole thing, Silver, Oula Jaaskelainen (Finland) [I know -- who??], Bronze, Oleg Tautarov (Russia)

94 Worlds:
Short program bronze -- Josee Chouinard; IMO it's a shame that this mini-medal is the only Worlds medal she ever won.:frown:

This is as far as I'm gonna go with this, I promise.... :biggrin: :laugh:

Saundy

On the Ice
Well for those of you wondering about the mini-medal ceremonies....here's your answer.

Shows some of the skaters posing with their mini-medals.
(Cupcake looks like she's gonna bust through her shirt! :laugh:)

Mafke

Medalist
Saundy said:
Well for those of you wondering about the mini-medal ceremonies....here's your answer.

Shows some of the skaters posing with their mini-medals.
(Cupcake looks like she's gonna bust through her shirt! :laugh:)

No wonder they call 'em mini-medals, they look like they're about the size of a penny.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Oh, Elena, that is SO tacky.......

Well, that answers that question. Closing banquet. I kind of figured, but you never know.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I was under the impression that this sort of thing was rather a semi-formal affair; I mean, not only does she show up in something WAY TOO SMALL, even had the thing fit it looked like she was getting ready to clean out the attic or something....

krenseby

Final Flight
Well since I am guy, this whole thing just has me thinking, Hmm she probably couldn't find anything that was more of a relaxed fit, poor thing that her chest isnt as small as that of the other son the podium. Btw, good to see her with a mini-medal. I hate how American World coverage skipped her long program and exhibitions. She cracked the top 3 in her long program and yet she's considered to be a low-status unimportant skater who doesn't deserve to be covered. Unfair.

synchro_lover

Spectator
If you go to www.skatecanada.ca and click on the Worlds link, you can find photos of the top three finishers in the short and long programs all posing with their mini-medals.

The awards ceremony was combined with the athletes closing banquet on Saturday night at Worlds.

MKFSfan

Medalist
1hunter said:
Your thoughts???
Anyone else you can think of that won one of these medals and never won a world medal or world championship?

Kind of the exact opposite, here's another thought:

How about last year's Worlds where Caro won the bronze medal overall, but didn't get a mini-medal at all (she was 4th in both the SP and LP)!

MKFSfan

Medalist
krenseby said:
I hate how American World coverage skipped her long program and exhibitions. She cracked the top 3 in her long program and yet she's considered to be a low-status unimportant skater who doesn't deserve to be covered. Unfair.

I saw Elena's LP on the ESPN broadcast on Sunday, didn't see the whole broadcast the 1st time around Saturday night.