So What Happened With The Artistic Guys? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So What Happened With The Artistic Guys?

Justafan

On the Ice
I think Lysacek definately has an artistic style, but his execution is rough to me at times. His arms look robotic at times and his long skinny legs are coltish. I see attack, but I do not see elegance. I think Johnny would have been better off to withdraw. When you are in that much pain, why risk further injury? I worry about his longevity sometimes..he seems to get a lot of injuries. Too much quad practicing maybe? It's a shame Emanuel can't put it all together, his dance movements are incredible...I daresay his hand, arm, leg positions are the best I have ever seen.

1hunter said:
Can someone remind me please if the bronze medalist landed a quad/triple combination as well as a 3 axel and a 3 axel combination.

This is what Emanuel, Lambiel and Joubert all did!
Um, wrong on all counts.

In the LP...

Lambiel did not land a triple Axel (both of his Axels were scored as doubles), and he did not do an Axel combination.

Joubert did land a triple Axel, but not one in combination.

Sandhu did two triple Axels, one in combination. But he did not do a quad/triple -- only a quad/double.

In fact, of the top men Lysacek was the only one to do a quad-triple and a 3-Axel and a 3-Axel combination. :rock:

No wonder Lysacek's program had the hardest technical difficulty. (Base values: Lysacek, 76.6; Lambiel, 74.5; Joubert 74.0; Sandhu, 70.1.)

The other guys better up their tech if they want to catch Evan! :)

MM

Mathman - I was there, Lambiel did complete his triple A. the audience knew it was a problem for him and everyone just hollered he did it.

Aside from that, do you think the entire competition should have been based on the quad and other jumps?

I looked at the breakdown of the PCS scores and Lambiel beat Joubert completely in the those scores. I think Brian has the message. He has improved in his PCS but he was certainly overrated for his non choreographic routine. It was nothing more than crossovers, jump, crossovers, jump, and so on until the footwork sequences. And there was nothing in the program to show his musicality except the tick tock of the beat.

However, if you insist that the jumps are the only thing in scoring then maybe, just maybe, I would give it to Joubert. BTW, I am glad Brian is back on track.

Joe

Joesitz said:
Mathman - I was there, Lambiel did complete his triple A. the audience knew it was a problem for him and everyone just hollered he did it.
The audience might have hollered, but the caller called it a double. Lambiel earned 3.3 points for it instead of 7.5.

I think it's going to take audiences quite a while to start to understand the New Judging System.

MM :)

Aside from that, do you think the entire competition should have been based on the quad and other jumps?
Oh, goodness no. I was responding to a previous post by JHunter who claimed incorrectly that Lambiel, Joubert and Sandhu all did a quad-triple combination, a solo triple Axel and a triple Axel in combination, and Lysacek did not. In fact the opposite is true. Lysacek did do all these things, and none of the others did.

However, I have to say that I did not like the choreography of either Lambiels' or Sandhu's program, at least how they came across on TV. (Maybe they looked better live.)

Lambiel's program went jump, jump-jump, jump, jump, spin-spin...then a l-o-o-n-g time spent just standing there huffing and puffing and catching his breath...then jump, jump-jump, jump, and then finish with spins and footwork.

Well, he racked up the points, even getting top-notch component scores.

For Sandhu, on the other hand, I thought that he really had something to say with his Tick-Tock choreography -- if only he didn't have to abandon the choreography and do a bunch of jumps every little bit. He would do some skating, then -- oh, brother, now I have to put in a jump. Then he would take so long in the set-up that I was yelling, so jump already.

Even so, I thought it was a great program. But to me it was great in spite of the technical elements (in contrast to Joubert, for instance, who was great because of the technical elements.)

I didn't think that either Lambiel or Sandhu really integrated the jumps with the choreography very well.

JMO.

MM :)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Joubert is back, and Lambiel is not going away.

I don't think i'd count Joubert as "back" just yet - yes he looked much better at worlds than he has done all of this season and last but he has spent more time overall struggling with his jumps than he has landing them consistently. Its possible that worlds was luck. Its also possible that switching back to the LP that won him lots of medals did something psychologically for him but i'd wait to see what his programs look like next season before really thinking he'll be threat.

Ant

shine

Record Breaker
Fozzie Bear said:
Methinks more. Definitely more than Weir and Sawyer, imo, who skate beautifully, but not artistically.
ITA :love: And I've been an advocate for elegance =/= artistry forever!

Lanie

On the Ice
Matt Savoie is sure an artistic guy...subtle and sophisticated to boot! :love: I'm gonna miss him.