Ladies Free | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free

Lucy25

Final Flight
Wow, I just got home and DID NOT expect this! I can not wait to watch my tape. I can not believe Kimmie is the World Champion in her first try! She is so likable in interviews that I am so happy for her.
Sad for Sasha, but not surprised. I wanted Joannie to medal so badly.

zeytin

Rinkside
they think sokolova is undermarked and the tapes should be watched again..or something like that...they said they like new judging system but there are some points they can't understand?!?!!?like sokolova's marks...

sokolova 116.87 and cohen 114.67, only two points difference...cohen nearly didn't have a clean landing in triples...so? ok,cohen has better artistry than the others, but this poor performance should'nt have won a medal...IMO...

Last edited:

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Wow! I can't wait to watch the broadcast!

Well, I'm not a fan of her skating I'm sorry to say. But congratulations to Kimmie-it looks like those triple/triples did the trick for her! And congratulations to Sasha for taking the bronze medal. Two Worlds medals for the USA. :clap:

Congratulations Fumie on silver-I SO wanted you to win if it was not Sasha or Joannie! :clap:

Jasper

Final Flight
As much as I love Sokolova, her skating does not suit this judging system at all. Her footwork sequences and spins are generally low levels. She doesn't have great posture, stretch, or transitions. Her strength, when she's completely on, is jumping. And someone did mention that she didn't complete all her triples, so...

Under the old system, maybe she would have won a medal over Sasha.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am in shock. Everyone was talking about Fumie and Sasha and the
teenager comes in and wins it. Good for her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
zeytin said:
eurosport commentators angry with the results...me too...
1. Kimmie
2. Fumie
3. Sasha
4. Elena
5. Yukari
6. Sarah
What did they say?
:eek: Kimmie won! Never would expect this! Don't know what to say. Her skating leave a lot to desire.

Nmsis

On the Ice
When will Sokolova be rewarded properly ?
She was wonderful. She should have been 2nd after the short. And now this when she should be first.
Meissner PCs are hugely inflated. She has still a junior style.
Cohen should be in front of Suguri.
What the heck have the judges in their eyes tonight ?

guinevere

Final Flight
zeytin said:
poor judging for sokolova...IMO not fair...crowd didn't like it,too.
she's 4th behind cohen.....
Sokolova's ahead of Cohen in the LP...she's in 4th overall because of her QR skate, which was not good. I would rather Cohen not be on the podium with that mess of a performance, but Cupcake did not set herself up in the first 2 parts of the comp to get a medal in the LP.

Kimmie is not a favorite of mine: I find her rather juniorish and generally prefer mature skaters to jumping beans. But I am thrilled to see a 7-triple program win the competition, and I certainly don't think that Meissner's presentation is awful. Cohen, Suguri and Nakano are all capable of beating that program, but none of them delivered. Having any of them win the LP would have been a travesty.

The only skater who I think was robbed a bit is Sarah Meier - she should have gotten higher PCS scores.

coolio

Rinkside
I wouldnt say it's too surprising given that Fumie never skates like a gold medalist and Sasha just cant have a perfect skate in LP, so with a clean program, it was time.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Nmsis said:
When will Sokolova be rewarded properly ?
She was wonderful. She should have been 2nd after the short. And now this when she should be first.
Meissner PCs are hugely inflated. She has still a junior style.
Cohen should be in front of Suguri.
What the heck have the judges in their eyes tonight ?

I'll have to disagree with you on each of those points. Sokolova only completely five triples, doubled one, and had fairly unimpressive spins, footwork, and presentation. Meissner's PCS might have bee na little high, but not "hugely inflated". And what is your basis that Sasha should be in front of Fumie? Sasha made a ton of mistakes, and Fumie only made one. She had much more speed than Sasha, and was more fluid. Fumie and Sasha's placements were both deserved.

Nmsis

On the Ice
I don't know for the qualification part but Sokolova definitly deserved to be 2nd of the short. She was underscored during the whole competition. The qualification score has nothing to do about her being out of the podium, only maybe not being on the 1st step.

Mafke

Medalist
Congratulations to Meissner on a great technical performance ..... but the PCS were way too high, I'd say at least a full point in each category (maybe not choreography, the quality of the choreography is great, but her execution isn't quite up to it), there were balance problems a couple of times and a stumble coming out of a spin.

She clearly won the LP but those PC scores were just too high.

zeytin

Rinkside
guinevere said:
Sokolova's ahead of Cohen in the LP...she's in 4th overall because of her QR skate, which was not good. I would rather Cohen not be on the podium with that mess of a performance, but Cupcake did not set herself up in the first 2 parts of the comp to get a medal in the LP.

yes, you' re right..elena is ahead of cohen in Lp but only two points, sasha might be a great skater but this performance was really poor...i think she is overmarked in lp...and sasha wasn't very good in QR either...there are three rounds and sasha was only good in sp but she got bronze...

machiavelli

Rinkside
good for Kimmie. I hope she can bump up her level of artistry, since she still looks very much like a junior in that aspect. Too bad for Sasha and Fumie. Good opportunity lost...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha may not have the best jumps, but when it comes to the other elements she is head and shoulders above Elena Sokolova (whom I happen to like, btw). Sasha has the best spins in the business, and her spiral sequence is about 10 times better than any Elena has ever done.

Elena blew the QR big time (she was 8th in her group, which translates to 15th or 16th), and rallied in the SP, but not enough to come close enough in points to threaten Sasha, even though Sasha had a poor FS (for her). Elena actually had to have scored 123.49 in the FS to win the bronze, and she couldn't possibly have done that, after doubling a jump, with her subpar spins and spiral.

Elena scored close to her personal best in the SP, but again, the reason she didn't score higher was the quality of her non-jump elements compared to Sasha and Fumie.

I like Elena's sunny personality, and she is very entertaining when she is on, but she does have her weak points. The bottom line is if she hadn't blown the QR, she probably WOULD have won bronze. Worlds is a three-part competition.

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
Even without Kimmie's higher than should be PCS, she still would have won. Technically, wow. Technical skating is usually what matters to the judges, anyway.

I mean, look at the PCS marks Plushenko got at the Olympics :laugh:

WD Fumie on the silver.

Sasha will probably never acheive what she should.

Kimmie surprised everyone I think, congrats to her.