Emily Hughes' spiral | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes' spiral

Johar

Medalist
Her head is too low on that posistion, as mentioned several times on TV. Wouldn't somebody have told her by now she needs to work on that posistion? I assume she is trying to work on it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I liked it, had a new look.

"Someone" might think it looks harder and maybe it gives her better control. It is lower then other's, but she has a stand out quality neg. or pos.

Could be trying to get or appear she is getting her leg up higher????

I've seen Sasha and Miki touch their head to her skate before, maybe not during the spiral, shows some excellent balance????

Last edited:

Saundy

On the Ice
mike9000 said:
It has to be said and someone who knows her needs to say it Emily needs to lose weight yes they are eating disorders i not saying she should be purging or anything like this but she needs to exercise and skating alone isn't going to do it plus it would if watch how much she eats as well.

I think the even the bigger problem is how she approaches skating, oh it i just
doing it for fun. Which is good in way but you also need to approach it i want to kick *** and win not just for fun. Another thing i think she so wrapped in her
school work skating comes last on her list.

One thing i know for certain Emily's skating is not improving sometimes you have to know when you quit and move onto other things. When Kimmie is leaving her in the dust in 90 time zones and only geting better you have say to Emily just quit. Should she quit maybe?

I think Emily is just fine the way she is. I wouldn't mind being her size actually.

Her "weight" has nothing to do with her being consistant or not. I think she did pretty good for her first worlds. I'm pretty sure she'll continue to get stronger as she gets older. She's only 17 keep in mind.

Give the girl a break she's not a machine.

CDMM1991

Medalist
There are different body types on this earth. There's Kimmie's body type, in which, I bet no matter how little off-ice training she did she'd still be a stick figure, and then there are those that no matter how much off-ice training they do they will still be stronger and fuller-figured. Emily doesn't have any extra fat hanging around. She's just more muscled than some other skaters, a body type similar to Joannie Rochette's.

Johar

Medalist
I hope Emily sticks around. As for size, I agree that she is bigger muscled. Even when I was a size 2 in college I looked bigger than other size 2 girls in my dorm.

Ah, to be a size 2 again.:laugh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Johar said:
Her head is too low on that posistion, as mentioned several times on TV. Wouldn't somebody have told her by now she needs to work on that posistion? I assume she is trying to work on it.
It looks alright to me. Click HERE.

Saundy

On the Ice
IDLERACER said:
It looks alright to me. Click HERE.

Looks all right to me too.
Yoshie Onda's spiral is one of the worst I've seen and definitely MUCH worse than Emily Hughes'.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I actually think Emily's is one of the better spirals out there right now. She has great extension and her leg is straight behind her, something that a lot of other skaters don't have. Other than Sasha, I can't think of anybody with better spirals in the competition at the moment.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
That picture's not the most flattering for looking at that spiral (here is another with a different angle.) But damn, that's a DEEP edge. Unless she's about to tip over just after they took this picture, they should all have such poor spirals.

Can someone who can see user's IP addresses check whether mike9000 is geisha1 registered under a new nick? Although, then again, geisha's MO is usually just a one- or two-line snipe about how "fat" Emily is. (S/he's still at it over at usfsa's boards.) In any case, whoever you are, I'd worry more about which skaters are starting to look like a good stiff wind would knock them over rather than someone who happens to have muscles and a body that's actually postpubescent.

mike9000 said:
Should she quit maybe?
Why should she quit? She beat Bebe Liang. She trounced Katy Taylor. She outpointed Alissa Czysny. She's went to the Olympics and the World Championship. She's been featured in Time magazine. She's having the time of her life!

MM :)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
mike9000 said:
It has to be said and someone who knows her needs to say it Emily needs to lose weight yes they are eating disorders i not saying she should be purging or anything like this but she needs to exercise and skating alone isn't going to do it plus it would if watch how much she eats as well.

I think the even the bigger problem is how she approaches skating, oh it i just
doing it for fun. Which is good in way but you also need to approach it i want to kick *** and win not just for fun. Another thing i think she so wrapped in her
school work skating comes last on her list.

One thing i know for certain Emily's skating is not improving sometimes you have to know when you quit and move onto other things. When Kimmie is leaving her in the dust in 90 time zones and only geting better you have say to Emily just quit. Should she quit maybe?
I think Emily looks great. She has a ton of muscle, and not much fat at all. I have a similar body type to her, and when I tried losing weight I got really sick, and lost a lot of my strength. I think the same would happen to Emily, she would lose a lot of that power that makes her so exciting to watch. Also, maybe she IS just skating for fun, but you know what? For someone only doing it for fun, she's doing a darn good job! I don't think she should quit until she's done having fun!

Alsace

On the Ice
In the picture posted by Idle Racer, the free leg appears to be bent; that should be improved first, then she should seek to add an arch to her back.

Jane2

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Why should she quit? She beat Bebe Liang. She trounced Katy Taylor. She outpointed Alissa Czysny. She's went to the Olympics and the World Championship. She's been featured in Time magazine. She's having the time of her life!

MM :)

I completely agree!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Johar said:
It's an old Irina way to do the spiral, she has to get her upbody lower to get her free leg up. Though both with good edge.

MidnightNess

Rinkside
Emily appears to be dropping her back to get the free leg up higher. Sasha used to do that, though nowhere near that bad, but not anymore as she has the flexibility and strength to do it with a parallel back to the ice. The thing is it could cause back problems. over time since it's putting unncessary strain on the lower back so it's something I think Emily should work on. But that is one heck of an edge :)

MsLutzy

Rinkside
I agree with the above posts... her back drops a bit too low, when she does it, it almost looks like her upper body is tumbling down. I think she needs to arch her back and straighten her upraised leg more. She has nice edges in her spiral though, and overall it's quite nice.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I like when Emily straightens her back up when she does her beillmann spiral position. I think if she could hold her body there when doing the "normal spiral position, she'd be fantastic! She lowers her body to get more extension, height on her spiral add I find it distracting. Sashs is definitely one of the best where extension is concerned, but even she drops her back quite a bit.

Here's Sasha's from the front, and I think this is one of the better shots, good edge, body/head not as low as it sometimes is:
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2005worlds/ap_short3.jpg

Here's Michelle in comparison, higher body/head than Emily and Sasha:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/olympics/images/photogallery/oly-gallery2-20.jpg

Alsace

On the Ice
Sasha's legs are closer to a 180 degree split in this spiral, so we allow her to keep her head lower. Michelle's legs are split about 160 degrees, so her upper body can be higher. Emily's legs are not split even that far when straight, so her upper body ought to be higher than Michelle's.