Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Emily Hughes' spiral

Ballroom Baby
    Lol, short version of Senaibu's post--some people just aren't built that way. (I'm one of them.) If you looked at an articulated skeleton, it would make a lot of sense on the joint part.

On this topic, I saw Emily's spiral in person today. (Word around the rink is she was here to work with Mark on a show program he choreographed for her.) The edge IS that deep, her leg from my viewing angle looked straight, though my impression was she does tend to hold her head rather low. Not as much arch to her back and I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. From the side, it's not an unattractive line.

And now having seen her up close, if she is fat, I'm morbidly obese. (I'm not even close.) We should all be so fat.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar
    Her head is too low on that posistion, as mentioned several times on TV. Wouldn't somebody have told her by now she needs to work on that posistion? I assume she is trying to work on it.

I don't see anything wrong with Emily's spiral. For starters, she is on an edge that would make her appear to have her head lower. The Hugh's family seem to get criticized for their spiral positions. Poor Sarah was constantly critiqued here at Golden Skate about her spiral. I think Emily's spiral is just fine.

Custom Title
    Sarah's spiral was criticized because her knees were bent, both the supporting leg and the extended leg. I do think Emily keeps her head and shoulders too low. Her spiral as is will never rival Cohen's, Kwan's or Arakawa's, that's for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Sarah's spiral was criticized because her knees were bent, both the supporting leg and the extended leg. I do think Emily keeps her head and shoulders too low. Her spiral as is will never rival Cohen's, Kwan's or Arakawa's, that's for sure.
    If Cohen would actually do her spiral correctly, her free leg wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is now, and it wouldn't look so special. Emily may keep her head a little too low, but overall I think she has a better spiral than Sasha. At least Emily knows what an edge is! And, she doesn't "open up" her body the way Sasha does, and that makes it easier for Sasha to get the leg up there. Also, Emily has better speed that Sasha. I'll take Emily's spiral over Sasha's any day.

Custom Title
    Maybe you prefer Emily's spiral, but the judges don't.

At Torino, Cohen's spirals in both SP and FS were level4, and she received +2 and +3 GOEs, 5.4 points per spiral. Emily's SP spiral was level4 with +1 GOEs (4.4 points), and in the FS, her spiral was level3, +1 GOE (3.4 points).

At Worlds, Cohen's spirals in both SP and FS were level4, +2-3 GOE, 5.69 and 5.4 points. Emilys were level3, GOE 0 to +1, 3.53 points each.

Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    If Cohen would actually do her spiral correctly, her free leg wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is now, and it wouldn't look so special. Emily may keep her head a little too low, but overall I think she has a better spiral than Sasha. At least Emily knows what an edge is! And, she doesn't "open up" her body the way Sasha does, and that makes it easier for Sasha to get the leg up there. Also, Emily has better speed that Sasha. I'll take Emily's spiral over Sasha's any day.
    But where in the rules does it sy that the body must not be opened up??

The only rule in figure skating (remember this isn't dance or ballet) is that a sprial position is one where the free leg is at or above hip height. End of definition.

Ant

If the free leg is bent in a spiral, it could be considered and attitude but it has to look pretty. Not easy on skates. The layback is the easiest for attitudes.

Joe

I think that Emily's spiral does not match up to Sasha's or Michele at all. Yes, her leg is up straight and high but the upper body being so close to the ice is terrible. It just doesn't look right. I think most posters are just saying that she needs to arch her back more. She does have something to work with though and I think that she can improve it. I have to say that I would watch Sasha's or Michele's anyday over hers. They just have a way of making it look that much more natural and not an effort to do.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    I like Emily's spiral.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4