Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101

Thread: Is Emily The Next Sasha, with respect to jump consistency?

  1. #1
    Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    850

    Question Is Emily The Next Sasha, with respect to jump consistency?

    While watching Emily skate her LP today, I found myself holding my breath to see if she would be able to get through her program without a fall. I really like her energetic way of skating, but lately she seems to have problems skating clean.

    I'm to the point with Emily (as with Sasha, too,) where I find I'm almost waiting for the fall to happen...

    Even though many feel that Emily's skating is "rough around the edges," I like her energy and joy of skating. I hope next season, she will be able to get through her LP's and stay on her feet !

    I also really like Sasha's skating, but it's getting to the point where I almost can't watch her compete...too nerve wracking! I hope Emily doesn't go down that same road.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    She is long way to go to compare her against Sasha.

  3. #3
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    I'm sorry but what's up with all this expecting American skaters to be clean all the time? Sorry, but it's time for my gloves to come off...many of you guys really seem spoiled by Michelle Kwan. Besides, get over it...the fact is that it's RARE for a skater to be clean all the time. Irina and MK were exceptions, and that's why they can be considered up there with the greats. But everyone else? Not really.

  4. #4
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,648
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    I'm to the point with Emily (as with Sasha, too,) where I find I'm almost waiting for the fall to happen...
    As you could wait for Carolina Kostner, Fumie, Joannie Rochette, and on.......and on..................and on............ Lots of skaters fall, even Michelle and Irina fell too.

    Dee

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    I got issues
    Posts
    680
    The next Sasha? I don't think so. Emily is still VERY new to the international scene, all she needs is a little more experience. I think she's done very well this season and comparing her to a total headcase is unfair.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Ogre Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    She is long way to go to compare her against Sasha.
    I agree. At the present time, Emily simply is not in Sasha's class. I don't think she has the natural ability to be a Sasha style skater. If Emily lived up to her fullest potential, I see her more as an Irina style skater.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Whittier, NC
    Posts
    337
    I think that unless Emily loses some weight and becomes smoother in her delivery, she will have a hard time competing with Kimmie, Katy, and maybe even Chrissy Zukowski and Alissa Czisny, whom I expect to bring herself back up eventually.

    I think part of her problem is that she seems to be very conscious of "looking happy" on the ice, resulting in a lot of redundant arm-waving and "excited" movements. Presentation is important, but when it is forced it detracts from the overall quality of her skating. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy her enthusiasm, but when the commentators, like Peggy Fleming, are hard pressed to mention anything other than her enthusiasm, it means other things are lacking.

    Unless she works on achieving an identifiable style and consistency, I don't see her doing any better than a bronze at future Nationals.

  8. #8
    Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    850
    O.K., misunderstood once again...LOL!!

    I wasn't at all comparing Emily's level of skating to Sasha's (I was only talking about falling in their LP's, not spins, spirals, etc.) It's hard to watch a performance by a skater that you really like (and are rooting for), when you are so nervous that they are going to fall yet once again...gee whiz, people !!

    I like Emily's skating a lot and would like to see her get through her Seasons LP without a fall. Where in my post did I compare Emily's level of skating with Sasha?? Emily doesn't seem to be able to get through her LP lately without taking a fall...it just makes me think about Sasha's LP woes. Nothing more and nothing less.

  9. #9
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984

    Question ??????

    Emmy is Emmy, Sasha is Sasha.

    It would kinda follow the lines of "Is Kimmie another Tanya?" Those 3a girls from America are trouble - look out Sasha!

    Couldn't resist.

    Every skater I can think of has fallen, and due to the LP being longer and more draining, a safe bet is most fall in the Long.

    'Nof being harsh, I see what your point is, but it is one that you just got to say "put a hat on it."

  10. #10
    what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    504

    Is Emily next Sasha?

    No way. In fact, Sasha is nothing special.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    No way. In fact, Sasha is nothing special.
    How can you possibly say that Sasha is nothing special? In fact, ANY one of those skaters who skated at Worlds were something special. The fact that Sasha has always ranked around top 3 in these competitions make her even more special than others.

    Sasha has pushed the envelope of skating. She isn't satisfied with being average. Her spirals are top-notch, her spins are exquisite, and she is always thinking of new positions. Plus, she really feels the program and skates TO the music, unlike many other skaters who only skate like the music is the background accompaniment. So that's why I don't think Emily can be the next Sasha. Their recent inconsistancies may be only one of the few things they have in common. Emily still has a long way to go in smoothing out her rough edges.

  12. #12
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Tropez, France
    Posts
    61
    IMO there is no comparision between the two. They each have their own style and qualities.

    One thing I did notice that this was the Fatest world comp ever! I truly have never seen so many over weight girls in high end skating before! Now not to say in the every day life, these girls are just fine, but for skating,, no way, to heavy. It affects the flow and the jumping big time. Not only the womens, I noticed it in pairs and dance! Personally I hope its not a trend. They are only hurting themselves trying to skate and jump with the extra weight. When they are 40 they will be in need of opperations and replacements.
    JMO!
    Fauve

  13. #13
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,030
    Quote Originally Posted by FauveNik
    .

    One thing I did notice that this was the Fatest world comp ever! I truly have never seen so many over weight girls in high end skating before! Now not to say in the every day life, these girls are just fine, but for skating,, no way, to heavy. It affects the flow and the jumping big time. Not only the womens, I noticed it in pairs and dance! Personally I hope its not a trend. They are only hurting themselves trying to skate and jump with the extra weight. When they are 40 they will be in need of opperations and replacements.
    JMO!
    Fauve
    Did we watch the same Worlds. I did not see any fat skaters.
    A skater's weight has nothing to do with needing replacement operations at age 40. Look at Tara Lipinski..
    Last edited by demarinis5; 03-26-2006 at 10:12 AM.

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I'm sorry but what's up with all this expecting American skaters to be clean all the time? Sorry, but it's time for my gloves to come off...many of you guys really seem spoiled by Michelle Kwan. Besides, get over it...the fact is that it's RARE for a skater to be clean all the time. Irina and MK were exceptions, and that's why they can be considered up there with the greats. But everyone else? Not really.

    I can agree that it's 'rare' for a skater to be clean ALL the time however NOT skating clean IS rare for skaters such as Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya. With Sasha, otoh, skating clean IS the rarity, thus she's not able to achieve her potential - and that, imho, is what separates the very good from the great when it comes to skating. As for expecting the Americans to skate clean ALL the time I don't really think that's the mindset at all - people just want to see Sasha put together 2 clean programs in one competition and so far that's hardly been the case. I don't think it's asking too much at all to expect an elite level skater to have more good skates than bad but in Sasha's case it's just the opposite.
    Last edited by azsk8fan; 03-26-2006 at 10:13 AM.

  15. #15
    what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by MsLutzy
    How can you possibly say that Sasha is nothing special? In fact, ANY one of those skaters who skated at Worlds were something special. The fact that Sasha has always ranked around top 3 in these competitions make her even more special than others.

    Sasha has pushed the envelope of skating. She isn't satisfied with being average. Her spirals are top-notch, her spins are exquisite, and she is always thinking of new positions. Plus, she really feels the program and skates TO the music, unlike many other skaters who only skate like the music is the background accompaniment. So that's why I don't think Emily can be the next Sasha. Their recent inconsistancies may be only one of the few things they have in common. Emily still has a long way to go in smoothing out her rough edges.

    Sorry, but I am watching all the competitions, and tell me, when was the worlds or olympics when Sasha didn't make a mistake???

    Special flexibility? Yes, I agree with that. But you can see that new skaters are coming with even harder spirals to do. Martinova, Gedevanishvili.

    It's not true that other skaters are skating with music just like a backround.

    By the way, Sasha jumps flip and lutz on the same way, didn't you notice it?

    All skaters are trying new positions.

    And REAL special skaters are Irina,Plusenko,Carolina Kostner and Lambiel. I think even Jeffrey Buttle. But only 5 of them. There will be another Emily, another Sasha, another Joubert and another Michelle. But never again any of those 5.:o

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •