Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is Emily The Next Sasha, with respect to jump consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by MsLutzy
    How can you possibly say that Sasha is nothing special? In fact, ANY one of those skaters who skated at Worlds were something special. The fact that Sasha has always ranked around top 3 in these competitions make her even more special than others.

Sasha has pushed the envelope of skating. She isn't satisfied with being average. Her spirals are top-notch, her spins are exquisite, and she is always thinking of new positions. Plus, she really feels the program and skates TO the music, unlike many other skaters who only skate like the music is the background accompaniment. So that's why I don't think Emily can be the next Sasha. Their recent inconsistancies may be only one of the few things they have in common. Emily still has a long way to go in smoothing out her rough edges.
    I think that's why its never a worthwhile comparison to compare a skater who is at the start of her senior skating career with one who has been skating on the senior circuit for what...6 years? Its apples and oranges - Hughes has a way to go to yet but since she's at the start of her career i have no doubt she will. If you recall Sasha's edge were very rough and wobbly for at least half of her career but she cleaned them up, her development as a skater has been wonderful to watch and i don't see any reason why hughes wouldn't continue to improve.

And i while i do agree that finally this season Sasha has started skating to her music as opposed to through it, this is not something she's always done. Look back at SLC and she sakts through her music. She has slowly improved in all aspects of her skating...but i don't think she's done anything to "push the envelope" with the possible exception of spiral positions.

Ant

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    Sorry, but I am watching all the competitions, and tell me, when was the worlds or olympics when Sasha didn't make a mistake???

Special flexibility? Yes, I agree with that. But you can see that new skaters are coming with even harder spirals to do. Martinova, Gedevanishvili.

It's not true that other skaters are skating with music just like a backround.

By the way, Sasha jumps flip and lutz on the same way, didn't you notice it?

All skaters are trying new positions.

And REAL special skaters are Irina,Plusenko,Carolina Kostner and Lambiel. I think even Jeffrey Buttle. But only 5 of them. There will be another Emily, another Sasha, another Joubert and another Michelle. But never again any of those 5.:o

Why nobody is noticing what I posted?

Custom Title
    Emily won't be another Sasha. After all, Emily, like another American skater
    (a) came in 6th at her Senior Nats debut -- poor short; great FS; (b) medaled at Jr. Worlds (while winner of Sr. Nats went to Worlds in former Communist country; had worst skate of her life; unexpectedly failed to medal); (c) returned to Nats; got first medal, but did not get named to Oly team originally because last year's Nat champ needed medical bye; and (d) finished 8th at her Sr. Worlds debut. Emily is the next MK!!

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar

Question

Wow, all these replies, and stiil, nobody understands the meaning of my original post....

This thread is NOT to compare Emily and Sasha's artisitry, etc., or to imply to Emily will be the "next" Sahsa - she won't.

It was to point out Emily's recent problem getting trough her LP without falling on a jump, and that my hopes that she will not follow in Sasha's footsteps of not being able deliver a clean LP (or two clean programs babck to back,) when it really counts.

That's it folks...

Quote Originally Posted by nubka
    Wow, all these replies, and stiil, nobody understands the meaning of my original post....

This thread is NOT to compare Emily and Sasha's artisitry, etc., or to imply to Emily will be the "next" Sahsa - she won't.

It was to point out Emily's recent problem getting trough her LP without falling on a jump, and that my hopes that she will not follow in Sasha's footsteps of not being able deliver a clean LP (or two clean programs babck to back,) when it really counts.

That's it folks...
    But saying that Emily can be likened to Sasha because she can't get through an LP without falling is a little premature - the statement about Sasha is applicable to the last six years of her competitive career whereas Emily is only in her first full season as a senior.

My question back to you is - do you think all of the other skaters who fell in the LP are also likened to Sasha and do you fear they too will forever fall in their programs?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by anything_for_skating
    Sorry, but I am watching all the competitions, and tell me, when was the worlds or olympics when Sasha didn't make a mistake???

Special flexibility? Yes, I agree with that. But you can see that new skaters are coming with even harder spirals to do. Martinova, Gedevanishvili.

It's not true that other skaters are skating with music just like a backround.

By the way, Sasha jumps flip and lutz on the same way, didn't you notice it?

All skaters are trying new positions.

And REAL special skaters are Irina,Plusenko,Carolina Kostner and Lambiel. I think even Jeffrey Buttle. But only 5 of them. There will be another Emily, another Sasha, another Joubert and another Michelle. But never again any of those 5.:o
    Hey, Anything-for-skating, I noticed your post. I agree with all your points. Sasha has made many mistakes at the worst possible times in international competition. Other skaters also can do difficult spirals exhibiting great flecibility. Sasha does not have a monopoly on musical interpretation. Her Lutz is a flip. Irina, Plushenko and Lambiel are exceptional skaters, and Carolina has great potential despite an off year.

The only thing I disagree about is, to me there will never be another Michelle.

Your friend,

Mathman

Figure skating fans are no different from everyone else. We would rather talk than listen. I think we all just saw the title "Is Emily the next Sasha," and away we went, LOL.

I do agree with Antman, though. Emily is just starting out. It is too early to guess about whether she will be able to come up big with error-free programs in the crunch, or not.

My own personal opinion is that she has already shown that she can compete when it matters most. Although she did not skate perfectly, she laid it down at U.S. Nationals, with a trip to the Olympics on the line, and made the podium ahead of (IMO) more talented skaters like Katy Taylor, Bebe Liang and Alissa Czisny.

MM

nubka - Thanks for the clarification of what you meant.

Emily is still quite young and was able to get in an Olympic and Worlds skate. This should be positive learing experience for her. If she doesn't know that falling is a no no then she has a problem. Top six skaters can get a way with a fall during competition but lower tier skaters can not, imo.

Like Kimmie, she is a skater with certain skills lacking. I think judging her right now as being inconsistent is too early. Give her another year or two for those clean programs to come.

Joe

Down With It

That's it folks...

Come on, this is emily's first senior season. I'd wait until five years later (about the period of time Cohen has been in the full scene) and she still hasn't been clean back to back to raise this question again. JMO

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    Emily won't be another Sasha. After all, Emily, like another American skater
    (a) came in 6th at her Senior Nats debut -- poor short; great FS; (b) medaled at Jr. Worlds (while winner of Sr. Nats went to Worlds in former Communist country; had worst skate of her life; unexpectedly failed to medal); (c) returned to Nats; got first medal, but did not get named to Oly team originally because last year's Nat champ needed medical bye; and (d) finished 8th at her Sr. Worlds debut. Emily is the next MK!!
    Michelle was 12 at her Senior Nationals debut in 1993, when she finished 6th. Emily was 16 at her debut in 2005. Michelle won her first World Championship at 15 in 1996. Emily is just a bit behind.

Michelle WON Junior Worlds at 13, in 1994. She also went to 1994 Worlds the same year, when Nancy Kerrigan declined to go, and finished 8th. (Kerrigan had failed to medal at Worlds in 1993. Kwan did not go to 1993 JW.)
    Emily went to 2005 Junior Worlds at 16, and won a bronze medal. She went to Worlds the following year and finished 8th--at 17.

Michelle won nearly every competition she entered when she was 16. Emily has won zero competitions at the National or International Senior level since skating at US Nationals in 2005. Another MK? Sorry, Emily is already way too old to be another MK.

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Come on, this is emily's first senior season. I'd wait until five years later (about the period of time Cohen has been in the full scene) and she still hasn't been clean back to back to raise this question again. JMO
    Whatever you say, dear...

Custom Title
    Emily is no Sasha, mentally, physically, skating style wise. Nothing like Sasha.

If she can regain her jump consistancy (or has her ever jumped consistantly?), you may see an Irina in making (Irina had lost her jump consistancy in her early years after the puberty). She's imitated the way Irina skating, but she is not Irina either. If she is anything, then as the media and USFSA put, she is the younger sister of last Olympic Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by MsLutzy
    How can you possibly say that Sasha is nothing special? In fact, ANY one of those skaters who skated at Worlds were something special. The fact that Sasha has always ranked around top 3 in these competitions make her even more special than others.

Sasha has pushed the envelope of skating. She isn't satisfied with being average. Her spirals are top-notch, her spins are exquisite, and she is always thinking of new positions. Plus, she really feels the program and skates TO the music, unlike many other skaters who only skate like the music is the background accompaniment. So that's why I don't think Emily can be the next Sasha. Their recent inconsistancies may be only one of the few things they have in common. Emily still has a long way to go in smoothing out her rough edges.
    ITA

OT, if there is anyone who is "The Next Sasha" it is Alissa Czisny. Alissa has lovely line, posture and carriage and has wonderful spins and spirals, just like Sasha. I think her presentation is great. Unfortunately she has the same problem as Sasha too -- makes mistakes on jumps under the pressure of major competitions. Alissa's jumping problems are IMO worse than Sasha's, even the Sasha of 2000-02. OTOH, Alissa's stroking and ice coverage is better than the Sasha of those days.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 03-27-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Down With It
    I think Alissa is WORSE than Cohen though when it comes to nerves. I mean, she had several multiple-fall performances after peaking at SA and SC. It's almost an insult actually IMO to compare the two in consistency.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast