Exhibitions | Golden Skate

Exhibitions

Now that's what I'm talking about!

That was just breathtaking.

Why don't they skate that way in their competitive programs? Lambiel's exhibition was 1000 percent better than his winning LP. Pang and Tong, too.

Phooey on the CoP.

Last edited:

reenb

Rinkside
Stephane certainly did steal the show. I liked Sandu as well. He looked happy at the end and was having a good time. He looked great doing the country stuff.

cosmictears10

On the Ice
sasha

Never noticed this before and correct me if she's done it differently in the past, but that gala program didn't include any jumps...

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Sasha

Cosmictears,

You are correct. I don't think I've ever seen Sasha skate a program with no jumps. Interestingly, I enjoyed her program without the jumps. Sasha may be one of the few skaters who can pull off a program without jumps because she is so good at spins, spirals and the in-betweens and just beautifully artistic.

Generally, in reading the postings about the World Championship it has become apparent to me that some people are just plain mean. Some of the comments about Sasha have been so insulting and vicious.

It's shame people cannot respect these skaters for the hard, dedicated skaters they are and appreciate the effort put forth at these competitions.

It really comes down to the type of skating one prefers. Some people love the jumps and the athletic aspect of figure skating. Others, like me, prefer the artistic element the most. I believe these preferences draw a person to specific skaters who have the qualities you prefer. What is wrong with that?

I respect those who are fans of the Carolina Kostner and Kimmie Meissner type skaters. Also, I don't run down those skaters because it's unfair to them and their fans.

I would like to see those who enjoy the lovely artistic skaters have their opinions and favorite skaters respected.

Dizzy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
lets not get another thread fight going... there are two sides to every skater fandom... lets try and get along.

Sasha is an amazing skater... but didn't she take OUT the jumps that were in the program? Or was I imagining remembering jumps earlier this year? If that's so then I think the injuries and fatigue really has been a factor!

Either way I can't WAIT to see Sasha and a lot of the others skate these programs (Tan and Ben's new one too!) in COI! :rock:

atomikai

Spectator
It's just the gala guys, no judges, no points. And as how Peggy put it, it's the atheletes' chance to just show off what they've got artistically, because jumps are just needless, but could still entertain, nonetheless.

I have to agree that Sasha's was just amazing. I was still amazed by how she pulled a routine without jumps at all, even if I already saw it in Torino. Her artistry is just impecable, and that's one thing very special about her.

But Lambiel stole the show. I was actually hoping to see his "You're beautiful" routine again, but when the Bulgarians skated to it, I knew he'd be skating to something else. It was unsurprisingly fantastic.

Lambiel rocked! Did I hear right? Was the name of his music "I just want to be the son of a prison guard?"

His spins were so much better than in his competitive program. Why didn't he spin like that in the competition? This was ad-lib, right? Rather than a program that he planned out in advance?

Here are all the people (the one's they showed on TV) that I thought out-performed themselves. That is, the exhibition program blew away their competitive program.

Joannie Rochette. Smooth yet powerful. And the vocal version of Like a Prayer is vastly superior to that awful instrumental.

Zhang and Zhang. OK, I could go ether way on this one. So what were they supposed to be, Polynesian beach bums?

Kimmie Meissner. A toss-up only because of the popped jump in the exhibition. Vastly superior extention, finishing her moves, in the exhibition.

Pang and Tong. :love: :love: I hope they do COI this year.

Sasha. No comparison. Exhibition, 6.0. Competitive free skate, 4.8.

Only the dancers were about the same -- I suppose because a free dance is pretty much an exhibition anyway.

Anyway -- great show. :clap: :clap: I wish all skating contests could be like that! :love:

MM :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Zhangs were skating to the march of the elephants from Disney's jungle book. I guess that makes Hao Zhang one of the elephants and perhaps Dan Zhang is Mowgli?

Lucy25

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Sasha is an amazing skater... but didn't she take OUT the jumps that were in the program? Or was I imagining remembering jumps earlier this year? If that's so then I think the injuries and fatigue really has been a factor!
This was the second time Sasha has skated this program without jumps on TV. Nationals was the first. This program had jumps in it this summer and at the winter cheesefest. If my memory serves correct, Sasha always falls during the exhibition after a competition (for the past few years), so maybe that is not the last impression she wants to leave with the audience. Or maybe her lingering little injuries don't want to be bothered by jumps when they don't have to be.

This jumpless program certainly highlights her strengths, but I really hope she has a new COI program. I am tired of this one and absolutely hate the song.

DORISPULASKI said:
Zhangs were skating to the march of the elephants from Disney's jungle book. I guess that makes Hao Zhang one of the elephants and perhaps Dan Zhang is Mowgli?
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It all makes sense now.

Zhang and Zhang

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
This was the second time Sasha has skated this program without jumps on TV. Nationals was the first.

I think she went jump-less at the Olympics exhibition, too. So that would make 3.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
cosmictears10 said:
Never noticed this before and correct me if she's done it differently in the past, but that gala program didn't include any jumps...
This is the second or third time I've seen her do this program without the jumps. I think it's great!!!

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Phooey on the CoP.
:bow: :bow: Math, you just make me laugh all the time. I like hanging out with you. :agree: I like to laugh.:clap: :clap:

Dee:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
This was the second time Sasha has skated this program without jumps on TV. Nationals was the first. This program had jumps in it this summer and at the winter cheesefest. If my memory serves correct, Sasha always falls during the exhibition after a competition (for the past few years), so maybe that is not the last impression she wants to leave with the audience. Or maybe her lingering little injuries don't want to be bothered by jumps when they don't have to be.

This jumpless program certainly highlights her strengths, but I really hope she has a new COI program. I am tired of this one and absolutely hate the song.

Thanks... I think it's a great program and a lot of fun... but I agree I hate the song (ok not really, just the Striesand version [will run and hide now])

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Lambiel rocked! Did I hear right? Was the name of his music "I just want to be the son of a prison guard?"

His spins were so much better than in his competitive program. Why didn't he spin like that in the competition? This was ad-lib, right? Rather than a program that he planned out in advance?
The name of the song Stephane skated to was 'I Don't Wanna Be' by Gavin DeGraw. I think he did ad-lib the program since on ESPN they said the name of the song/program was 'Improvisation'. He probably improvised since he most likely was going to skate to 'You're Beautiful' which was his exhibition at the Olympics, but Denkova/Staviski skated 'You're Beautiful' and he probably had to find something else quick.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Lanie

On the Ice
I thought Sasha's exhibition was flat and uninspiring, like she was trying too hard to have fun.

R.D.

Record Breaker
haven't seen it yet but that wouldn't be shocking considering what she's been through. But it was great at the Marshall's thingy.

antmanb

Record Breaker
cosmictears10 said:

She did it this way at the olympics too - though maybe theree was a split jump in the Olympic one. I didn't watch her exhibition in Calgary though, i tuned in too late! In its first outing though there definitely were some jumps - i think at least a triple toe and double axel. I don't know when she re-did the program to have no jumps in it.

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mathman, You're probably right! That would be Hao Zhang as Baloo rather than as Colonel Hathi!

(That's a great pic for this Btw!!)

tarotx

On the Ice
antmanb said:
She did it this way at the olympics too - though maybe theree was a split jump in the Olympic one. I didn't watch her exhibition in Calgary though, i tuned in too late! In its first outing though there definitely were some jumps - i think at least a triple toe and double axel. I don't know when she re-did the program to have no jumps in it.

Ant

Us nationals where there was no split jump. Here there was at least that like the Olympics but she didn't end in the splits. At TEB and Marshalls there were jumps in the program. At the Sun Valley event in August Sasha did her short and long programs with out jumps. This is the first year I know of that when she has done no jumps in a program.

Lanie Sasha was listless out there. It was sad. She was still beautiful to watch.She reminded me of a jewery box dancer-exquisite looking but only going though the motions of the performance. She may not be able to cry but I cried for her.

Last edited: