Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Praising Kimmie

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    There is a difference between 'pressure' and 'nerves'. Jose Chouinard had a problem with nerves not pressure.

Joe
    There is a difference between pressure and nerves, but i woul dhave said that pressure leads to nerves. Its how the skaters handle that nervous energy that makes or breaks the skater.

Ant

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    There is a difference between pressure and nerves, but i woul dhave said that pressure leads to nerves. Its how the skaters handle that nervous energy that makes or breaks the skater.

Ant
    exactly. It's not the pressure or nerves that get you (it's normal and happens to everyone) but how you deal with it that does.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Wouldn't that have been something? I wonder how it would have been scored against Arakawa's beautiful and mature, but technically unexceptional, skate.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you labelling her performance "technically unexceptional". She may have doubled a couple jumps but every single one was PERFECTLY landed. There wasn't a single bobble anywhere; the control she exhibited is among the best ever seen. The hardest triples were there as well - 2 Lutz's and a Flip, and they had excellent height.

Also, let us not forget that Spins and Spirals are part of the technical component. Arakawa's change-of-edge, raised-leg Spiral was one of the most breathtaking to ever be performed and her final step sequence was a beauty. Kimmie's exertions in these areas are forgettable and she even stepped out at the end of one of her spins (that should have gotten a -1 GOE for sure).

Overall I would only rate Kimmie's technical program 2-3 points higher than what Arakawa did at the Olympics. Her jumping program was superior but Arakawa did vastly better with other moves. When you take into account the Program scores I believe Arakawa easily would have deserved to win. Kimmie was ridiculously overrated with her Worlds PCS total; I would put Arakawa's program 10 points ahead on that mark! Which would equal out to a 7-8 point victory.
    Last edited by Zuranthium; 04-04-2006 at 04:55 PM.

You made some excellent points, Z. I think I am still stuck in the 6.0 mode of thinking, where technical means jumps and everything else is on the second mark.

Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long!

Mathman

(PS. Off topic, but do you mind if I ask you a personal question? Were you on AI?)

Good point Zuranthium - but Ladies with 3x3s and Gentlemen with Quads will definitely get undeserved high PCS scores (in many cases). That's the way it is in Skateland.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3