Next Female Olympic Champion | Golden Skate

Next Female Olympic Champion

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't believe Elena G will ever be a top skater. I don't think the republic of Georgia can provide that kind of support. I see her fading away like Julia Lautowa.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
I say it could very well be Kimmie Meissner, Yu-Na Kim, or Mao Asada. All of them are technically sound, and provided that their growth doesn't affect their skating seriously, there should be serious competition between them. Yu-Na has pretty good presentation already.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
It's not about that Georgia cannot provide a support. I just think...her body will cahnge a lot and she will not be such a top skater. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know...
Meier, I don't think so...I mean, I :love: her skating, but I just don't think she has chance.

I cannot say who will it be, but I think theese ladies will be the best:
Kostner
Korpi
Meissner
Asada
Kim
Martinova

lisadotdash

Rinkside
anything_for_skating said:
It's not about that Georgia cannot provide a support. I just think...her body will cahnge a lot and she will not be such a top skater. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know...
Meier, I don't think so...I mean, I :love: her skating, but I just don't think she has chance.

I cannot say who will it be, but I think theese ladies will be the best:
Kostner
Korpi
Meissner
Asada
Kim
Martinova

No one's mentioned
Skater Caution
Emily Hughes Weight.
Meissner A little stuck on herself.
Asada Inches and pounds throwing her off
Kostner Just needs to train
The Cuban girl Injuries. She is on a roll. She knows what to do,

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi was merely a talented up-and-coming junior in February of 1988 (when the Calgary Olympics were taking place), who on earth was Oksana Bauil in February of 1992?, and no-one had ever heard of either Tara Lipinski in February 1994, or of Sarah Hughes in February 1998. (Except, of course, people who had really been paying attention to junior and novice results). Shizuka Arakawa was just another Japanese skater in Feburary of 2002, just a talented one of several in her country. Based on the trends of the last couple of decades, one would have to be almost psychic to predict the next Oly Ladies champion four years in advance.

Also -- Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada are both 15. That can be a dangerous age for the ladies; as I have said repeatedly on this board, plenty of ladies have been great at 14 and 15, but if they can get through 16 and 17 succesfully (as Michelle and Irina did), then we'll see. I don't wish to inject a note of pessimism here, but history is not on their side.

Last edited:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Kristi Yamaguchi was merely a talented up-and-coming junior in February of 1988 (when the Calgary Olympics were taking place), who on earth was Oksana Bauil in February of 1992?, and no-one had ever heard of either Tara Lipinski in February 1994, or of Sarah Hughes in February 1998.

You are right, but still I think those 5 will be there as top skaters

R.D.

Record Breaker
How did people respond to this question in 2002?

Too Soon to tell. It's tough enough speculating what's going to happen next season in the ladies' division, let alone four years later.

I think this time it will be even tougher since there will likely be a changing of the guard, and anyone can become the next ice queen. Meissner COULD have a chance if, like I said before, she continues to improve her skating and keeps those 3-3 jumps in. Same with Asada. But as for anyone else, it's a tossup.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan will come out of no where to finally win - ok so someone had to say it :rofl:

seriously though, to answer your question, RD it was a combo of "too soon to tell" and "Sasha/Michelle/Irina"

so I'm with you, we won't know until the end of the LP in 2010 lol

krenseby

Final Flight
re:

soogar said:
I don't believe Elena G will ever be a top skater. I don't think the republic of Georgia can provide that kind of support. I see her fading away like Julia Lautowa.

Elene G. trains in Moscow with Tarasova. Tarasova can certainly use connections to procure funding for her student. If Elene falters, it won't be for lack of support. As others have said, her body may change and she may lose her consistency. That would bring her down more than anything else.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Gedevanishvili - freaky kinda good, wow, just found her on the tapes last night after someone corrected me that she was from Georgia, wow! Look out!
Meissner - it is all there just to get better, and I think she is Cool! IMO
Meier - "something that lies beneath," Like a panther ready to attack, but doesn't want to look to suspicious.

Hopes -
Fumie - Of course, Hang in there, more infasis on the artistic in the scouring sys would do it.
Ando - come back, get over it and stop worrying about the quad, uchi kowasu yoma!!!!!
Kostner - someone said "train" yes, to control that speed. I also think her back posture when stroking is really low LOOKING because of her legs.

Of course Idelracer was probably very valid on a different post saying, "someone who is currently 13 that we have not yet heard of."

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
krenseby said:
Elene G. trains in Moscow with Tarasova. Tarasova can certainly use connections to procure funding for her student. If Elene falters, it won't be for lack of support. As others have said, her body may change and she may lose her consistency. That would bring her down more than anything else.

Nope, I will corect you, she trains with Elena Vodarezova.

soogar

Record Breaker
krenseby said:

I'm thinking of the kind of support a weighty federation can throw behind a skater. If Elena G skated for Russia, she probably would have already been in the medals at the Olympics.

Bill508

Rinkside
The road to Vancouver goes thru Tokyo: Mao, Miki, Mai, Yukari and even Fumie at 29 could do it. I believe!

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

anything_for_skating said:
Nope, I will corect you, she trains with Elena Vodarezova.

I think I remember seeing Tarasova in the K&C with her. Has Elena switched coaches or was I just confused?

Kasey

Medalist
krenseby said:
I think I remember seeing Tarasova in the K&C with her. Has Elena switched coaches or was I just confused?

I think Tarasova and Vodorezova were tag-teaming a bit last season (Gedevanishvili, Griazev)