Fame | Golden Skate

Fame

H

heyang

Fame

Hi, all.

Just wondering if anyone watched this new show. I'm sure part of the appeal is that it's not a re-run. After American Idol, I can appreciate the lack of advertisements, too.

Overall, I liked the energy of the show. Everyone seems very talented. It's also nice that everyone must sing, dance and 'turn it on'.

So, let me know what you think.

S

Show 42

Re: Fame

Hi Heyang.........it comes on in about twenty minutes here and I plan to watch .......I'm glad your comments were positive because I was looking forward to it.......42

M

mike79

I agreed with Shannon and Gary moving through but I would have had Mackenzie ahead of Alex. Mackenzie was by far the best singer.

I'll definitely be watching this show every week. It seems pretty cool and it'll fill the void left by AI ending.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I really enjoyed it. I thought the idea of having people who could do more than just sing very loud competing is a very good idea.
I'm going to be watching next week. Although Debbie Allen has been ridiculed for her many bad Oscar choreography, I forgot that she studied under the legendary Bob Fosse, so that makes her very qualifyed for recruiting, etc.

I didn't like the choices for judges so much. I liked the record company guy, but I didn't think Carnie Wilson and that DJ were qualified judges. Carnie Wilson (who can sing, but I doubt that she can dance or do group numbers Broadway style) is more qualifyed to be a judge in American Idol where the competition is more about singing and Paula (who isn't that good of a singer but a good performer) from AI is more qualifyed to judge Fame where the competition is more about the overall package: dancing, singing, and presentation.

I think they should have replaced the DJ judge with someone from Broadway who knows all about what this competition is about.

H

heyang

Hey, MIke79.

I agree with Shannon and Gary, too. I can't remember Mackenzie - was he the King of Salsa? Or was she the non-Asian girl? Either way, they both had good voices...but their dancing was only ok and they didn't have the stage presence. As they keep on saying, they are looking for the triple threat.

The only problem with the show so far is that there's no one to hate.:rollin:

L

Ladskater

Is this the same show of a few years back - about the school for gifted students with Debbie Allan?

Excuse my ignorance if not - I don't keep up with the latest shows!

Ladskater

H

heyang

Guess I should have explained the show, but I really just channel surfed into it.

It's not the drama series of the past. It's a talent contest based upon the idea of people having the performing skills to achieve Fame. Former Fame star and famed choreographer Debbie Allen attended open auditions in NYC, Chicago, Miami and LA. She selected the 15 best overall performers (triple threat = sing, dance and stage presence) from each city - actually she decided on 17 from NYC. The best went to LA and were narrowed down to 24. Now, the 24 have been divided up into 4 groups of 6 who will compete against each other. A panel of judges will choose the best 3 of 6.

This week, the show started by showing highlights of the auditions for the 1st hour. There were some dreadfuls, but it was not as humiliating as AI. Debbie was very encouraging and supportive. During the 2nd hour, the 24 performed a group number to the song Fame and each had a turn at center stage to introduce themselves in song and dance - mostly rappish. Then, they explained how they were separated into groups of 6. The judges were a famous producer (sorry, can't remember his names - but he's worked with many big names), Carnie Wilson and a local LA DJ. Then each of the 6 sang, danced and performed to a song of their choice. Mostly positive comments - worst were 'stiff' and would've liked to have seen more dancing. Then, all 6 performed a group number where each of them had a highlight. After the break, the host announced the top 3 who will advance. No mention of what happens after narrowed down to 12.

BTW, they also are accepting audition tapes and the ones that pass muster will be competing in THIS contest. Not sure how that works.

Anyway, it's a nice alternative to re-runs.

M

mike79

Hi Heyang

Mackenzie was the white girl with dark hair. You're right, she wasn't up to par dance-wise, but her voice was awesome. I guess I'm still in AI mood.

C

CB1AB2

IT LOOKS LIKE SO FAR I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO =DID NOT LIKE THE SHOW==

cb

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

Fame - In Case You Miss It Wednesday Night...

FYI - Fame (the new show) is repeated on Bravo. I found this out Sunday night when I was flipping the channels. I just checked out TVGuide.com and it's repeated a number of times.

For those who remember Fame-The Movie: It just came out on DVD. Yes, I bought it and it's great, although I forgot about all the drama. There's also great bonus material. Now I have to look for the soundtrack CD!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

S

Show 42

Re: Fame - In Case You Miss It Wednesday Night...

Okay, I just watched the second installment tonight, and what strikes me as a flaw in the concept is that the first two groups were not balanced talent-wise. I thought tonight's group was much more talented than last week's grouping, and the three who lost tonight could have easily been the top three in last week's group..........42

M

mike79

I noticed something while watching last night--There are very few of these people who would have made it into the final 32 on AI.

What was up with that guy crying? He was a little baby.

P

Piel

That guy could be Mike W.'s younger brother.

Piel

H

heyang

AI didn't have balanced groups either which they tried to fix with the wild card spots. I don't know if Fame will do the same.

I thought the top 3 from the 1st epi were stronger then the 2nd group. With the exception of 1 of the remaining 3 from the 1st group, I didn't think they were better than group 2.

So far, I'm generally agreeing with the panel. I guess the audience starts voting after next week.

S

Show 42

Did anyone else watch the third installment last night. Next week is a two hour show and I think the audience begins voting then. The talent for the most part is first rate...anyone else? 42

P

Piel

ITA with the judges choices last night. My favorite was Harlemm (?). This entire group was good though, great job on Boogy Wonderland. Monday's group was not nearly as good as last night's. Out of Monday's I thought Raymond ("I'll Be There") was horrible. Had to agree with Carnie about Alexis' "Hey Big Spender". I wish that more attention was paid to what is age appropriate for these kids.

Piel

H

heyang

Regarding Monday's show, I was surprised the Raymond Lee made the cut. I think he dances well and he has presence (for some reason I always spot him during the group numbers), but I didn't think he was a very good singer. There was one part of the song that was totally off. I thought Dion (African American kid) should have advanced instead.

As for the 3 ladies from that evening, Alexis clearly blew the other 3 out of the water. It was emphasized because all 3 performed Fosse numbers. In a sense, I was kinda surprised by the girl who performed Hey Big Spender, too (for those who didn't watch she is a 16 year old who did some writhing on a table, and turned her back to the audience and bent all the way over) - it fit the song, but did not seem appropriate for TV's so-called family hour. Carnie thought the move was a bit much - even the LA DJ commented that he felt uncomfortable enjoying the view since she was only 15 - she corrected her age to 16. I'm glad the producers decided to show the view from the back of the stage, so we only saw her back as she was bent over.)

Regarding Wednesday's show, I thought this was the weakest grouping. With the exception of Moy, none of the others wowed me signing and dancing. The other 2 girls were definitely in the bottom of the grouping and I had a hard time choosing between Harlem and the 3rd boy.

Generally, I'm really enjoying the group routines since they are usually very energetic. Most of these people have the talent or at least a great deal of potential for being so young. They seem much more professional since many have some training and/or have performed in small non-pro type shows.

I really wish they explained how all the judging will work through the end. Seems like they are just making it up a bit as they go along. So far, Debbie's picked at least 60 or more from open calls. That group came to LA and were narrowed down to 24. The 24 have been split into groups of 6. Within 4 epsisodes, each group has performed for 3 qualified celebrity judges - each person performs a solo and then all 6 participate in a group number. The judges pick the top 3 form that group to advance to the next found for a total of 12 finalists. These 12 will perform and the public will have the opportunity to vote. Unfortunately, Debbie and co-host did not explain if America would vote for the best of 12 in one night ...or are we voting for the 6 best of the 12? Was not explained well at all. Also, they keep on asking for taped auditions as spoilers, but have not said how the spoilers will be introduced. I wish the structure of the competition was being explained better.

S

Show 42

I thought Harleem was an amazing talent. I can see him singing on Broadway. The tall thin girl, I thought, was out of her league, as was the blonde boy from Utah. The other two were very talented. I thought the three picked were the right choices.......on to next week....42

S

Show 42

........Did anyone else catch Wednesday night's show? I continue to be amazed by Harleem.....anyone else? 42