Fame | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fame

P

Piel

Re: Fame - In Case You Miss It Wednesday Night...

Show,

Harleem is my favorite...very special. What do you think about the announcment that he had lied about his age? Doesn't bother me but I was afraid that it might be held against him. The girl that did "Proud Mary" was good too. I still don't get Raymond as a singer. He does have a great personality though. The judges seemed to like Serena a lot. I like the way Debbie Allen is there for each of them as the judges give their opinions. She seems to care about the well being of the performers as much as the success of the show...nice to see!

Piel

H

heyang

I caught the re-run of Harlem the 1st time and have revised my opinion. He has a good clear voice and dances well. I think I just didn't like the style the 1st time I watched him.

The show's not keeping my attention as much now. I think I only watched about 45 out of 120 minutes. Everyone seemed a bit shakier during this voting round.

I wonder why Ray had to appear 1st unexpectedly. I don't think Harlem's revised age made a difference. Did the hosts explain how the spoiler works? Also, not having sequential phone numbers for the performers prevented me from voting at all - I couldn't keep track of all the numbers.

S

Show 42

Piel and heyang, thanks for responding........I decided to vote, and voted all five times for Harleem. I was surprised at his age declaration by Ms. Allen on National T.V.....but I have a feeling big things are planned for him, so to be up front with the age-thing was the way to go......It's not as exciting as American Idol, but it makes a great summertime filler program..........42

P

Piel

Re: Fame - And the winner is......

The final episode of Fame was tonight. The winner is.....

<span style="color:blue;font-family:times new roman;font-size:xx-large;">Harleem</span>

I was very happy for him. Shannon who finished second was also very good. I could have lived with her winning too. I agree with Carnie that there is something very special about Harleem.

Piel

S

Show 42

Re: Fame - And the winner is......SPOILERS!!!

Piel, I wasn't going to peak but I did........I couldn't be happier for him.......so deserving and talented. I would love to know if down the road, the other contestants are picked up for work..........42

H

heyang

I've been watching even though I haven't enjoyed it as much as I did at the beginning.

I'm not surprised that Harlem won, but I liked Brandon, too. He really grew a lot, but who knows what will happen since he isn't physically mature, yet (he's 15 or 16). Any of the top 4 could've won, but I thought Serena and Shannon became less interesting each week - too much like everyone else.

While I won't go see the American Idol movie, I am interested in seeing Fame on Broadway. I'll have to watch for the previews etc. IMO, the songs have stood the test of time.

S

Show 42

Wouldn't it be interesting to see the remaining twelve contestants cast in a Broadway show or review. They are already high profile performers.......their own production of "Fame" maybe? 42

H

heyang

I'm not sure about the other 11 finalists, but the winner definitely has a role in Fame on Broadway. I know that Harlem is guaranteed a featured role.

Here's a link to the info about the Broadway production
<a href="http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/2957.html" target="_new">www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/2957.html</a>

and Here's a link to the official website of the show
<a href="http://www.fameon42.com/" target="_new">www.fameon42.com/</a>

Darn - tickets are already on sale.

S

Show 42

Thanks for the info, heyang........I thought it was pretty cool that Johnny Write (sp) offered Shannon a recording contract too, even though her "vocal cords" are not her strong suite...42

M

mathman444

As a "triple threat," Harlemm was head and shoulders above the rest. Um, so to speak.

Now I have a question that has been bugging me for years.

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">What does "I sing the body electric" mean?</span>

I would be satisfied just with understanding the grammar of the sentence. Is "body" the direct object? Is "electric" an adjective modifying "body?"

Science fiction author Ray Bradbury wrote a book of short stories with this title, long before the movie or television series Fame came out. But the original is a poem by that title by Walt Whiman, published in <em>Leaves of Grass</em>. OK, he's "singing" about the human body. But where does <em>electric</em> come in?

www.bartleby.com/142/19.html

Mathman

E

eltamina

Body Electric

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>What does "I sing the body electric" mean?[/quote]

Yeah, why <span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">sing</span>, I thought it should be <span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">exercise</span>
body electric

www.bodyelectrictv.com/home.htm

And Margaret Richards is 56 y/o, or am I hallucinating?

www.bodyelectrictv.com/about.htm

Hmm...

<span style="color:red;font-size:x-small;">40 is fabulous, and 50 is foxy? Can't wait to see what Margaret will come up with when she approaches 60</span>

M

mathman444

Re: Body Electric

Thanks, Eltamina. I just went to the Body Electric web site and sent them an email asking what their name meant. I read their FAQ, but that was all about how to firm up your butt, and things like that. If your body has been sung electric, do you have a firm and sparking butt afterwards?

Mathman

G

guinevere

Re: FAME finale

OK, last night was the 1st episode I've watched --- lame, but honestly, I never knew when it was on! I wish I had gotten to see earlier eps, but here's what I thought from the 1 episode:

Right away, during the group dance #, Shannon stood out as the best dancer. Others were really good, but she had a <em>snap</em> to her movements that said "here I am".

During the songs, I was impressed with Serena's voice, I liked Harlemm's (altho I thought it was sad they made him sing 'Tomorrow'), I couldn't believe what a deep voice Brandon has (but he needs to work on his enunciation!), and at first I was impressed by Shannon's voice, then I realized that, although she has a powerful voice, she can't control it well. I also wondered why she was the only one who was allowed to do any movement during her song - the other 3 were so stock still I figured they were not allowed to dance during this performance. Also, the pseudo-flamenco version of 'I Will Survive' ws a bad idea.

My friend called me to say "No way! Debbie Allen just <em>adjusted her wig</em> on national television!!!" :lol:

When all four of them were waiting for the verdict, I knew right away that Serena would be cut 1st, and that Shannon and Harlemm would be the finalists. Of the final 4, Serena stood out the least in terms of personality and back story. Brandon had a great story and is a fabulous dancer, but I thought Harlemm's story was really compelling, and Shannon looks exactly like Britney Spear, so I figured the public would go for them. I wasn't sure which of the 2 would win, but I was glad it was Harlemm - I would have voted for him.

And hey - FAME managed to do what American Idol seemingly can't - they gave their winner a song that really does play to his strengths, and sounds good! It's total pop, but I would buy that song - something I can't say about any of the AI contestants who have put records out, even though I dig most of them.

guinevere

D

dlksk8fan

Did anyone see Harleems' interview on the Today show? I thought it was interesting when he mentioned how he did not use his real age for fear that he wouldn't make it on the show.

S

Show 42

.......dlk.....that was brought up on the show, about the 3rd episode. He saw how young the others were and he felt he would be at a disadvantage if he gave his real age at 35...42

P

Piel

Too bad Harlemm doesn't skate... he could sell a program!

Piel