Can I pick your brains? | Golden Skate

Can I pick your brains?

nicole_l

Final Flight
Hey guys,
My school has a "Stump IPAC" day where we try to fool the people that have actual work study jobs looking up random stuff on the internet. Who's the most obscure skater that you can think of or what's a good question that would be hard to look up?
I'm thinking something that involves "salchow" because they're not going to know how to spell it. I also might ask what high school Frank Carroll went to, since it was actually in my area.

BTW I'm posting this in the cafe because it's not really skating-related.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well -- there's a couple of Slovenian junior skaters named Dasa Grm and Darja Skrlj. You could say you have no idea how to spell the last names..... (Skrlj would be a better bet; Grm was just at Junior Worlds and Skrlj is more complicated... :biggrin: )

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Q: Who was the last skater to do a backflip in competition and actually get credit for it?

A: Tony Kubitichic (sp?), the '76? National Champion. He placed 7th at the '76 Olys.

I didn't know this myself until the Olys this year. I think all that's right anyway. Most people don't know backflips aren't allowed in competition anymore.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
childfreegirl said:
Q: Who was the last skater to do a backflip in competition and actually get credit for it?

A: Tony Kubitichic (sp?), the '76? National Champion. He placed 7th at the '76 Olys.

I didn't know this myself until the Olys this year. I think all that's right anyway. Most people don't know backflips aren't allowed in competition anymore.

I believe you are referring to Terry Kubicka. :)

And THANK GOD backflips are not allowed in competition anymore; can you just imagine the one-upsmanship going on in that department? We've seen enough leg/knee/groin injuries due to the jumps; we don't need any more busted heads; the ones the ladies are almost getting in Pairs are enough. And some of these people are just way too attractive to be bashing their faces in.... :laugh: