Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Idol

Custom Title
    Well the results are in and they're a bit of a surprise.

Tyler, Billy, and Mikey were the bottom 3. I couldn't believe that Gary wasn't there.

Mikey and Tyler were eliminated. I was so happy when Mikey was kicked out first. It was obvious that he had the weakest voice out of the whole group and he was only being voted for by teenybop fans.

It looks like we have a real competition heating up.

Hickie!
    Originally posted by mike79
    Tyler, Billy, and Mikey were the bottom 3. I couldn't believe that Gary wasn't there.
    ITA!!! I was like when it was Billy making his way to the middle of the stage and not Gary.

I'm just thrilled that Ryan's still there, and methinks that he'll be sticking around for a while.

I totally agreed with the choice of the two who got voted out.
    The look on Billy's face when he was told he was in the bottom 3 was priceless. He, and the judges I think as well, were very surprised to hear that. But I am so glad I will be able to hear both Billy and Gary again next week.
    Last edited by Kara Bear; 08-13-2003 at 02:46 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I missed this week's... what did everyone sing and does anyone have a link to clips?

Tripping on the Podium
    FYI to Americans/Non-Canadians- People have uploaded songs onto Kazaa... So you can see what talent Canada has

Hickie!
    Well, tonight was certainly interesting. I don't know where to begin............. I really liked seeing the Idols playing on the beach. That was quite amusing, especially Ryan. He's such a little ham, and is quite hilarious. Now onto the singing..........

Jenny was meh. Better than what I've heard before, but just meh. My mom could hear the TV from where she was reading, and she said that she thought she was horrible. I thought she looked sooo much better with straight hair. I'd rank her 3rd, surprisingly.

Gary's performance makes me shudder. I wanted to gauge my ears out, but then decided against it because Ryan hadn't gone on yet. He BUTCHERED that song. I seriously hope that he doesn't move on any further, and if he does, I will change the channel when he's on. What were the judges smoking as well?!?! IMO, their credibility as music bigwigs are going down the crapper at an alarming rate. I'd rank him LAST!

Audrey was disappointing. She really seems to be struggling with all the english, and I'm starting to feel sorry for her. I hope she can do better next week. I'd rank her 4th.

Man, as each week goes by, I love Billy more and more. Not more than Ryan, but it's getting close. I enjoy CCR, and Billy did them justice! I'm very tempted to vote for him this week. I love it much better when he sings rock. I'd rank him 2nd.

Don't like Toya, didn't listen to her since I was on the phone, but what I heard made my stomach ache. I hope she's gone soon. I'd rank her 5th.

Ryan was great, I love him, he sang that song well. I don't think there was anyone who didnt sing the chorus along with him either. Go Ryan. I'd obviously rank him first.

Custom Title
    My Rankings:

1.Jenny-That song was what Jenny is all about. She shone last night.
    2.Toya-I'm so happy Toya showed some personality for once. Strong vocally as well.
    3.Audrey-Not bad, but her song was too 'safe'.
    4.Ryan-Wasn't impressed this week. It was more about the dancing than the singing. I expected more from him.
    5.Gary-I'll give Gary credit for being 1000 times better than last week. It's too bad he had to hide the fact that he couldn't hit the high notes by putting them in his lower register.
    6.Billy-I love this guy but I agreed with the judges. The song wasn't right for him.

I think bottom 3 will be Toya, Gary, and Billy, with Billy getting the heave-ho.

Custom Title
    When they started to announce who would be in the bottom 3 tonight I thought that my prayers had been answered: Gary was the first in the bottom 3.

But then one of the worst scenarios came up: Toya was also in that bottom group, followed by Audrey. The two best voices in the competition were in the bottom 3!

And then Gary was sent back, leaving Toya and Audrey as the bottom 2!

In the end the most technically capable singer was eliminated: Toya. There is only one word to describe this crap---Tamyra.

Gary better go next week. He's the worst out of the ones left, and there's no one who would buy his album.

Hickie!
    Looks like I'm the only one that's glad Toya's gone. I haven't liked her singing since the beginning. The shrillness she has sometimes when she sings really put me off. Gary better be gone next week. I don't know how much more butchering I can take from him. He creeps me out too. Looking forward to good things next week from everyone, since there are great songs that can be selected for next weeks theme.

I'm glad Toya is gone too. Her singing didn't do anything for me. I just found it fake and unoriginal. And the whole Popstars thing is a turn off too.
    My fav is still Ryan. Hes so cute. But I really enjoyed Billy this week as well. I think when he finds someone who teaches him to control his voice and use it well, he will be rockin! Right now when he gets into the screaming mode, I don't really care for it.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by starshinexavier
    Gary's performance makes me shudder. I wanted to gauge my ears out, but then decided against it because Ryan hadn't gone on yet. He BUTCHERED that song. I seriously hope that he doesn't move on any further, and if he does, I will change the channel when he's on. What were the judges smoking as well?!?! IMO, their credibility as music bigwigs are going down the crapper at an alarming rate. I'd rank him LAST!
    ITA with you! If anyone deserved to get the boot last week, it was Gary--and I was shocked to see him so high up in the voting while Audrey was so low and Toya got eliminated.

I'm also as to all the hype about Jenny (both from the judges and all those voters who've gotten her this far). Although I think a lot of the rude comments I've read on other boards are definitely uncalled for, I just don't think she's that great a singer and I thought she sounded more and more off-key as the weeks went on...until last week! That was the first time I thought she picked a song that really suited her (and that she was able to sing more or less on key). She's definitely better at slow, bluesy songs than at the more contemporary, upbeat stuff.

BTW, did anyone else really dislike how many finalists were eliminated during the first couple of "live performance" weeks. I wish they could have extended the show by at least a couple more weeks so only one contestant was eliminated each week (that's how it worked on AI, IIRC). A lot of good singers were eliminated during those first two weeks and I thought some of them(coughkarenleecough) definitely deserved a second chance.

I'm even more disappointed about the format after reading a quote from this article:

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2003/08/0811.cfm

"A clips show dubbed The Best And Worst Of Canadian Idol will air on CTV August 28 at 8 p.m. and will repeat on September 4."

Personally, I would much rather see a couple extra new episodes than a recap of everything that already took place (especially since there was already a "recap" show a few weeks ago!)

I wonder which Elton John songs everyone will pick next week? I just hope nobody sings "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"--as much as I love that song, we've already heard it waayy too many times on "Idol" both sides of the border!

WOOOOOOOEEEEEEE

Really, really, really awesome
    BILLY- I keep on liking this guy more and more and tonight I'm going to vote for him for the first time. That was awesome. I didn't hear any of Elton in that song, it was pure Billy.

Really really good
    Jenny - Some people comment (not here but on other boards) that she looks slow. I think she just has a quirky sense of humor and is adjusting to all the hype, being away from home, amd Toronto. Tonight she sounded great and looked hot.

Really good
    Ryan - Have I told anyone that I want to marry Ryan. I think hes so cute. Anyway, I though he was good tonight. But I always intereupted "I Believe" as being a slightly sad song but he didn't sing it that way. Could be just me.

Gary - I thought it was good, but sitting here 30 minutes later, I can't remember anything about it.

Hmmmmmm, just ok.
    Audrey - I was a big fan at the start, but its fading as each week goes on. I think in time when she learns English and finds a song that she connects with, she will be awesome. Listening to her, I just find myself concentrating and worrying about if she gets the words right. Her dad looks so sweet though. Its very obvious how proud he is of his daughter.

Custom Title
    My rankings:

1. Billy. Easily blew everyone away tonight, and he picked the best Elton John song ever (besides Tiny Dancer)

2. Audrey. Not bad but the song did nothing to show off the pipes the girl has.

3. Jenny. I'm up in the air about Jenny tonight. I think she's great but I found that Rocketman should have been done with a little more pizzaz.

4. Gary. He was alright until the end when he completely lost it. It was his best performance since Angel.

5. Ryan. I couldn't get into it at all even though I'm a huge Ryan fan. I think he had the worst song selection of the night.

Bottom 3: I think Audrey, Jenny, and Gary will be in the bottom 3 with Jenny going home (gut feeling).

Hickie!
    My Rankings:

1. Billy for sure. He's one that I'm enjoying each more as time goes by. I'm hoping that it'll be him and Ryan in the final. I'd never heard that song before, and I think he did an amazing job with it. It gave me chills.

2/3. Ryan. I love him, and am a bit biased when it comes to his performances, especially now that I know he's in the same 14% of the population as me (we're both lefties). I enjoyed his performance, but I didn't think he gave enough tonight. Imagining what it would've been like if he gave 110% gives me chills. I hope he does better next week.

2/3. Jenny. I love the song Rocketman, and methinks she did it justice. I don't like her as a singer, but I think that she is getting better and better each week.

4. Audrey. I think she's been overhyped in the past weeks, and she's not living up to her hype at all. Her performances seem to have lost that lustre that they had in the Top 30 show and the Top 11 show. I think she might be gone tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

5. Gary for sure. If Ben hadn't announced what song he was singing, I would have never have known. How on earth does he get praised for his performances when you can't tell what he's singing?! To me, it sounded like he was singing either in a foreign language or just singing gibberish. I soooo hope he's gone tomorrow.

Custom Title
    I've finally figured it out: Gary is getting all of Mikey's votes. That would explain all of the little girls screaming for him.

The bottom 2 were Jenny and Ryan and Jenny got the boot. She was so good but in a way I'm glad she's gone. Now she won't have to become whatever some producer wants her to be--she can stay true to her own unique style. I'll definitely buy Jenny's CD when it comes out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast