Off-Season Debate, Question 1: Can Kimmie Keep Up The Momentum? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Off-Season Debate, Question 1: Can Kimmie Keep Up The Momentum?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
You could say the same thing about Mao herself. I think "maturing" comes with time. It will happen. Also, if Kimmie truly enjoys skating, I think eventually she'll develop her own style.

She did have the performance of her life which is tough for ANY competitor to duplicate. She and Mao will be feeling most of the pressure next year, IMO.

And also let's not forget that both Mao and her coach said that she suddenly felt the pressure going into junior worlds and didn't perform like she has been. The pressure on Mao is huge, all of last season she was touted as the lady who would win gold in Torino but for the age rule and then went out and did not skate her best in junior worlds. Not only are the skaters all human but they're very YOUNG. Anything can happen and there's no reason to think that none of them will improve in the next few years. The age both Mao and Meissner are at is the age where these skaters develop the most not just artisitcally but technically. I don't doubt in the next few seasons we will see Mao going for the quad loop in competition and i suspect at some point Meissner will start up the triple axel attempts. They will both also mature on the ice, i think that is a given.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I don't know a link to a video, but the event was the 2002 Junior Grand Prix Final. Most people say that it would most likely not have been ratified under the New Judging System because it appeared to have been underrotated. (The 6.0 judging system wasn't so strict about that.)

There is also (at cruella de kwan's site) a video of her doing an Exhibition skate at NHK one year where she lands the Quad sal (the landing edge comes round quite sharply, not unlike Midori's famed 3A landing) but she holds the edge and puts nothing down - i think its pretty much rotated and then goes on to land a 3Lz/3Lp a double axel and another 3Lp...and in an exhibition!!!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I can't find my notes for Dortmund, but I thought Ando tried a quad sal at Worlds and fell. My TiVo didn't pick up the CBC broadcast for Ladies, and I never downloaded her free skate, so I can't check to see if it was there or in the quali round.

I thought in Dortmund she popped it out to a double in the LP? Don't know about in the qualifying round though.

Ant

antmanb said:
There is also (at cruella de kwan's site) a video of her doing an Exhibition skate at NHK
I think Cruella is out of business. I know she was trying to get someone at the MKF to host her files, but I don't think it worked out (?)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think Cruella is out of business. I know she was trying to get someone at the MKF to host her files, but I don't think it worked out (?)

Oh no....quadruple boooooo...how am i ever going to get all of those performances of michelle's back again?

Ant

hockeyfan228 said:
I can't find my notes for Dortmund, but I thought Ando tried a quad sal at Worlds and fell. My TiVo didn't pick up the CBC broadcast for Ladies, and I never downloaded her free skate, so I can't check to see if it was there or in the quali round.
She did try it. It was expected. I don't rmember a fall. It seems to me that she stumbled without making 4 turns.

Joe

This constant posting of immaturity is for me quite a laugh. few skaters really have the musicality, the varied style, the use of edges, the ease of elements, the carriage, the body language, etc.

How well does Joubert skate without staccotto music?

How well could Tara skate without that bubble gum style?

I'm not trying to discredit the above two because both their styles win them medals together with ease of elements.

Mao and Kimmie are not the only skaters who can not fulfil the criteria for maturity. Many top flight skaters do not have that even yet. Mao and Kimmie have time. Let's see.

Joe