Marshalls spring cheesefest | Golden Skate

Marshalls spring cheesefest

The three Invitationals (Campbell's and the two Marshall's events) usually bring us the best skating of the season. The December 2005 contest was a notable exception due to Michelle's injury. But even so, I think we saw Matt Savoie's best skate of the year, as well as Sasha's, in that event.

The 2004 Campbell's was Michelle's best ever performance of Bolero, despite a fall on the footwork -- better than her good-but-unexceptional performance at U.S. Nationals and her OK-but-eh? skate at Worlds.

This got me to wondering whether there would be any rules changes, or tacit agreements, about how many jumps the ladies would be allowed to do in next month's cheesefest. I'm pretty sure that Michelle and Sasha would be quite content to just skate without any jumps at all. Not so sure how much effort Irina wants to put out at this stage, either.

I don't see how the organizers and sponsors of the event can let Kimmie go out there and do two triple/triples in a 7 triple performance! Marshall's Department Stores, USFS and ABC TV are not, after all, in the business of embarassing their marque stars.

Since apparently the affair will not by judged (it's called the "International Figure Skating Showcase"), what do you thing the "rules of engagement" will be?

The men's event will be a hum-dinger. The first time Plushenko will square off against Lambiel and Lysacek since the Olympics.

I'll definitely be scoring from home. And with no callers and judges to nitpick against, I can confidently predict the podium:

Ladies:

Irina -- redemption from Torino!
Sasha -- redemption from Calgary!
Michelle -- the old grey mare, she's back where she used to be!

Gentlemen:

Savoie -- revenge for a lifetime of outrageous judging!
Weir -- Camille's back and all is forgiven!
Plushenko -- He'll do Sex Bomb and the Big Head for his two numbers. :rock: Now that's figure skating!

MM :)

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Since this is an exhibition, I don't think that the big names would be embarassed if Kimmie did do 7 triples. How many men's programs could stand up to Kurt Browning's jumpless "Nyah"?

MKFSfan

Medalist
They are calling this even a "showcase" where skaters will do 2 exhibition prorgrams. My guess is that means it is not a competition.

Didn't ISU say something to the effect that in order to hold a competition with money winnings and international skaters, then the organizers had to follow COP rules?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think this is just a "showcase" of stars and is therefore not a real competition.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
attyfan said:
Since this is an exhibition, I don't think that the big names would be embarassed if Kimmie did do 7 triples.

:laugh: They MIGHT be embarassed just because Kimmie is NOW the BIGGEST NAME , or hadn't you noticed?:rofl: :laugh:

jsteam4501s said:
:laugh: They MIGHT be embarassed just because Kimmie is NOW the BIGGEST NAME , or hadn't you noticed?:rofl: :laugh:
I think it will take a little while before the hugeness of Kimmie will filter down to the unwashed masses. (We know, of course!)

But maybe not. The typical audience for these shows comprises families with young children. It's a new day, and maybe the next generation of skating fans are already saying, Michelle who? Sasha who?

MM

tripleflutz said:
Its going to be the COI skaters only, but will it be a peek at the COI show or another format?
Are all these skaters scheduled for COI? (The COI site doesn't seem to list the complete cast.) Are Emily, Kimmie and Savoie in the show?

Last edited:
Vash01 said:
I like this (exhibition) concept better than a cheesefest.
Oh, not me. I think the competition aspect is a big part of the fun for the audience. Even though we know in our hearts that the skaters maybe don't take the competitive aspect very seriously...but then again, I think they do!

Athletes always want to win, even if it's just a pick-up game in their back yard. Plus, under past formats they really are competing for large cash prizes (at least the promoters tell the audience that they are.)

Anyway, a competition lets the audience cheer for their favorites, boo the judges, and all that other stuff that we like to get into at a sporting event. As for me, I just can't get enough cheese!

MM

Last edited:

flowjo35

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Are all these skaters scheduled for COI? (The COI site doesn't seem to list the complete cast.) Are Emily, Kimmie and Savoie in the show?

Mathman, Kimmie and Emily are doing select shows this summer, I think on the weekends. I am not sure about Matt.

flowjo35

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
Its going to be the COI skaters only, but will it be a peek at the COI show or another format?

I hope we get to see the skaters that are performing on tour do their programs since COI was cancelled in some cities (including mine) and it's no longer on tv. This might be the only chance some would get the see these programs. I am glad this is just an exhibition, I say let the skaters have some fun and entertain the audience.:)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
IIRC, Matt is scheduled to do some shows around his hometown area so I assume that means he'll be doing shows around Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I'm not sure exactly which shows but I know I read about that not long after US Nats this year. :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
Having missed Michelle all season, I can't wait for this cheesefest!!! I won't care what she skates to, or if she does any jumps at all. I just can't wait to see her take the ice!!! :love:

And I can't remember ever being this excited about COI before. But after this season, I am soooooo looking forward to it this year. I have great tickets for Philly and Long Island .... and I'm just hoping for a happy and HEALTHY Michelle!!!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
jsteam4501s said:

Sorry, but nine tenths of the American public probably haven't heard of her -- they don't follow Worlds; the ratings during Olys were record lows, and she didn't get anywhere.near the press that Sasha and/or Emily got.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually I think the ladies skating got the usual high ratings (but of course not nearly as high as SLC). It was practically everything else that got the record low ratings IIRC.

I think it had to do partly with the SLC coverage being LIVE (in other words, people couldn't just go on the internet to look up the results and then lose interest in watching). Maybe with Vancouver being in North America, 2010 coverage will be live once again and then ratings might turn around...?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Plushenko -- He'll do Sex Bomb and the Big Head for his two numbers. Now that's figure skating!
Oh I can't wait!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee :laugh: :laugh: