Looking ahead to Vancouver 2010 | Golden Skate

Looking ahead to Vancouver 2010

Vash01

Medalist
I know it's early, but i can't help speculating. May be we have not seen some of the skaters that would be in contention in 2010. However, we have seen quite a few young ones that could make it to the podium.

Here are a few projections.

Men:

Lambiel is the two-time world champ but the skater I see as the one to beat in 2010 is Joubert. He has rediscovered himself and he will work hard to improve his footwork and spins. I don't expect to see Plushenko there, so it should be a wide open field. Lysacek and Weir could challenge for the top spot. Buttle could, only if he learns to be consistent. USA's Scott Smith may have potential to make the Olympic team, but there could be other young skaters we have not yet seen.

Among the young skaters I see Nobunari Oda developing in the next few years. Can Takahashi be consistent with his jumps? From Canada we may see Shawn Sawyer and Chris Mabee develop. I don't expect Sandhu there. Russian men are a big question mark. I don't expect Klimkin to be there; he is 25 already. Can Uspenski develop? I have not seen him skate so it is hard to tell. We may see Preaubert (France), Kovaleski (Ukr), Griazev develop. IMO Davydov (Belarus) may be too old to learn the quad. My early prediction: Joubert, Lambiel and Lysacek or Oda.

Ladies:

Early prediction has to include Kimmie Meissner to be the favorite for OGM, but she will have lots of competition- Mao Asada, Yu na Kim, Katy Taylor perhaps. Can Yukari make it to the next Olympics or will she be too old? Fumie still plans to be there but will she make the team? I don't expect Miki Ando there, unless she does some major changes. Ultimately the mental toughness will be the deciding factor and some of these young ladies have not been tested yet. Elene Gedevanishvili has talent, but does she have mental toughness? We don't know. IMO Emily Hughes is a fighter and she will be there. Christine Zukowski may develop. In Canada I expect Joannie and Mira to be there. From Russia Arina Martinova, and may be Sokolova will be still around. From Europe Amanda Nylander (Swe), Kiira Korpi (Fin) and may be Poykio would be still around. Sarah Meier may win a world medal between now and 2010. Will Sasha be still around? Hard to tell. My early prediction is Kimmie, Mao and the number 2 US lady (whoever she may be)

Pairs:

The Chinese will rule- that is for two podium spots. Savchenko-Szolkowy should be a developed pair by then. I hope to see Naomi Nari Nam and Leftheris in Vancouver, challenging for a medal. A couple of junior pairs may develop, and may be Orsher-Lucash if they decide to be around. Canada looks strong in pairs; Marcoux-Buntin and Dube-Davison will develop. I like Putnam & Wirtz although they did not make it to worlds this time. From Europe I like Spassova-Todorov (Bulgaria), Volosozhar-Morozov (Ukr). The Russians are a question mark again. Can Obertas & Slavnov develop into a top pair? Can Shestakova-Lebedev develop? I don't see Mukhartova-Trankov make it to the podium. For the top 3 spots I see two chinese, and one Canadian; or it could be 1 chinese, 1 German, 1 Canadian.

Ice dance:

IMO many of the top teams will retire/turn pro in a couple of years, leaving the field open to Belbin-Agosto, and possibly Domnina-Shabalin. Matthews-Zavozin and Silverstein-O'meara could develop, although I have a bad feeling about S&O'm- they may not stick around that long. I don't know why I feel that way. Kerr & Kerr could challenge for a podium spot, IMO. Faela-Scali, Khokhlova-Novitski could develop but not challenge for the podium. Delobel-Schoenfelder (they may still be around) could be there too. For the top 3 spots I see Belbin-Agosto, Domnina-Shabalin, and Kerr & Kerr.

That's all I can think of right now. I know it's very early and I could be way off.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Let's go ahead and speculate, and then dig this one up in four years, shall we? ;)

IMO, far too early to make 2010 predictions. Those same skaters back in 02 and 03 who we thought would challenge for podium spots in 06 turned out to be duds. The REAL challengers were actually the old-timers.

However, I will say I don't think something like that will happen again in 2010. The young ones will be the contenders, IMO. None of the veterans right now seem to be able to compete up there (maybe with the exception of Suguri). Once again, I'm assuming SC, MK, IS and SA are retiring after this season unless they tell me they are not.

Last edited:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Ladies:

Kiira Korpi
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Kimmie Meissner
Carolina Kostner
Arina Martionva

Men:

Stephane Lambiel
and maybe Tomas Verner, but not so sure, because a lot of skaters are yet to come

Pairs:

Obertas/Slavnov

Ice-Dance:

Dominina/Shabalin, Nora Hoffman/Atila Ellek

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
Ladies: Meissner, Taylor, someone in the U.S. junior ranks, Asada, Kim, the girl from Finland, the girl from Georgia, maybe Fumie. I don't see Michelle, Sasha, Irina or other veterans there.

Men: Lambeil, maybe Joubert, maybe Weir, Lysacek.

I don't know enough about pairs or dance to make any predictions.

However, my ultimate predication is whoever is not injured and retired due to injuries will be there. How's that for going out on a limb? :rock: