"Skating's Next Star," episode 2 | Golden Skate

"Skating's Next Star," episode 2

So, did anyone besides me watch the second installment of "Skating's Next Star?" After that fiasco of a first program, the second one was pretty good. I still don't know why they can't skate on a real ice rink -- budgetary considerations, I suppose. This one was on a small stage in an old theater.

The best part of the show -- more Kristi! :love: Plus, someone must have got to the judges and told them no one really likes Simon Cowell. Rudy and Oksana G. were quite appropriate this time around, and all the judges went out of their way to acknowledge that the competitors were trying their best under difficult circumstances.

The girl who last week was "too fat," now suddenly was receiving compliments for choosing a custom that "flattered her body type." (But they still sent her home.)

Some of the spins were actually pretty good. One girl did a nice Bielmann and a Beaver Cleaver in her routine.

MM

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I think the Russian girl is going to win. Unless it turns out her jumps are just *that bad*. But really, her speed and presentation are much better.

I don't know, I'm kind of torn--the company behind this wants to create a new professional company for figure skating, and that's a good thing, but the low production values here aren't really impressing anyone.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
I saw a few parts of the second show, but I was so turned off by the first one, that's it going to be hard to watch anymore shows. I think they seriously need to reconsider letting these skaters skate in a bigger rink and give it a general overhaul. It's looks "too dark" to me. They need better lighting.

I think the concept is good, but they need to improver overall to draw me in completely. I am glad to hear, though, that the Rudy and Oksana toned down their rethoric. I was so offended for the skaters in the first show. Like Rudy's career was noted for his consistency.

Jane2

Rinkside
I too, was so turned off by the 1st show, that I wasn't interested in the next one.
My husband & I were flipping thru the channels & did see a small protion of show #2.
But my hubby changed it (in disgust) when Rudy started giggling & called one of the male skaters 'really hot'......and he wasn't talking about his skating. Just not our taste. I would like to watch a decent skating show, but not a show of Rudy (& Oksana) being so rude, & Rudy telling the men how nice their @$$'s
were. Yuk.

Episode 3 :agree:

(Hmm. No smilies in titles. :agree: )

After a shaky start, this is getting better and better. Last night's show was cool.

I wonder if they are in contnuing production, or if the show has already been taped? It seems like they are listening to all the criticism and comments that they got from the first show.

Rudy and Oksana G. are as nice as can be now, LOL. Plus they nicened it up by having Kristi sit with the panel of judges, LOL. (Kristi :love: adds a bushel of nice points to any endeavor.)

In fact, Kristi is doing great in her host role. Kristi was always shy about taking the microphone (in SOI for instance), so I am really impressed with how natural she seems.

The other thing is the production values seem a little more high class. The ice surface was bigger and you could hear the music.

I liked the segment where the competitors had to do a reverse Axel (that is, an Axel off the wrong foot, turning the wrong way). Ha ha, I want to see Kristi and Rudi do that -- they couldn't get it together when they were pairs skaters.

Personally, I didn't think the ladies' group number was any better than the guys'. In fact, to me, the guys made better use of the music and the theme.

MM :)

Jane2

Rinkside
Nope.
I'm staying away from this show. I absolutely love ice skating. Have been a devoted fan for more than 30 years.
But this show is awful.
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

skatergirlaj

On the Ice
I've been watching it,well taping it then watching it the next day.I am not sure i agree with their choice of who they kicked off though,i don't remember her name but that red headed girl had alot of grace.
I am glad that Rudy is being more nice,his comment the first time really hurt that one girls feelings and was really out of line.
I also wish they had a bigger rink,how in the world do they expect them to build up enough speed to execute certain elements on such a tiny rink?!
I do think Natalia has a good chance of winning it,her spins are really good.