Changing quotes | Golden Skate

Changing quotes

Vash01

Medalist
I came across a situation tonight where someone used a quote on one of my posts. Then she (Theatregirl1122) changed some of the words in my post while it was in the quote. This should not be allowed. I can understand making a quote short by deleting some of the content (this is particularly helpful if the original post is very long). However, changing words in someone else's post should not be allowed. I don't believe she could have edited my original post, so it appears that she made the changes after she put it in a quote. What she printed are not my words, and I am extremely unhappy about this unethical action of Theatregirl1122.

Modertators, is there a way to keep others from changing the posts of another poster, other than deleting a part of the content while in a quote?

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
IMHO, I think you should take this issue personally with the poster before you bring it up to the board. I understand how you feel, and it would make me mad too, but other than the situation you described, in 4 years I've been here, I don't remember anyone ever being misquoted in a post. Taken out of context, yes, but never MISquoted.

If it becomes a serious problem, then something should be done. But for now, I think this is just an unfortunate incident.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
IMHO, I think you should take this issue personally with the poster before you bring it up to the board. I understand how you feel, and it would make me mad too, but other than the situation you described, in 4 years I've been here, I don't remember anyone ever being misquoted in a post. Taken out of context, yes, but never MISquoted.

If it becomes a serious problem, then something should be done. But for now, I think this is just an unfortunate incident.

I have to disagree with your suggestion. Quoting me incorrectly - even unintentionally- creates an impression of me on the board. So others on the board need to be informed that those were not my words.

However, it turns out it was just an error, and not something intentional. Still, I feel that the board members need to know that I had not made that statement (that Elena was undermarked because she is Russian).

Vash

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can do two things:

1) PM the poster and ask that he/she correct the quote
2) Reply to the thread and point out that the poster did not correctly quote you.

If they don't do #1, then do #2.

While the mods are great, they are stilll limited. Not to trivialize the issue in any way, but these types of issues should be worked out between members before posting about it in public or asking the mods to get involved.

R.D.

Record Breaker
However, it turns out it was just an error, and not something intentional. Still, I feel that the board members need to know that I had not made that statement (that Elena was undermarked because she is Russian).

I think it WAS the right thing to disclaim that quote. But personally I would have taken it with the poster to see what actually happened first. But now it's all over, so this is moot.