Question for small town folks | Golden Skate

Question for small town folks

K

Kzarah

Question for small town folks

I live in a tourist town in Southern California. Many things can be so commercial. I was wondering how much the small towns of the US have changed. In your small town do you still have Drive in theatres, Drive in restaurants? Do you have water mellons with seeds and that are good tasting, apples that are sweet and juicy? Do you have children that are raised to respect their elders. Do your teen-agers wear their pants up around the waist with their shirts tucked i? Is it looked down upon for people, especially children to use bad language, particularly graffic language? I love living in Southern California but so much has changed. These are just a few things that I would like to see brought back.
Daniel and Little Lulu

G

Glacierskater

Re: Question for small town folks

I live in NW Arkansas. I can answer this in two words: Yes and no. We have a major university here, but many small towns just a stone's throw away. We have farm fresh produce that can be purchased at roadside stands. We have the best of both worlds here. I can go shopping and do the theater, and still see cows on the way to skating, and escape to the solitude of th lake. Americana is alive and well in NW Arkansas. :D

BTW - the sweetest, most wonderful teenagers that I know here at the ones from my skating rink.

G

Grgranny

Where there was a drive in theatre here, it now is a bank satellite. I had to learn how to use the unit to get money after my husband died and it is handy. Especially since my tremors are so bad I can't write anymore.
We have a produce market on Sat. mornings downtown. Right now they have quite a bit but I think it's a little early for melons. It's also much more expensive to buy from them. Right now there is only one farmer there but as the season goes along there may be a couple more. There is a big one in Wichita and I love to get peaches there. There are some from Arkansas that are really good. Don't get many apples or other fruit here locally but eventually they do in Wichita. There used to be a lot of orchards in the south part of Wichita but there are very few left because all the oil wells ruined them when they used all that salt water trying to get the last of the oil out. Not fair!! Put a lot of people out of business.
We probably don't have as high a percentage of teenagers with the bad habits but there are quite a few. I have noticed just in the last few years it has really gone down hill. My 18 year old next door neighbor is hooked on dope and spends a lot of nights in jail. Got in with the wrong crowd. She used to be such a sweet child and now she's into hitting policemen. Wichita is worse of course, but there are always going to be a few with all the nasty looking clothes. I noticed in Wichita yesterday that at the Olive Garden there were no people in the crowd to offer me and my 81 year old neighbor lady their seats. Had a long wait too. Some were even children with their parents. Hard to believe. Last winter, some of our youth from my church jumped to catch the last seats at a program we had gone to watch. We had to stand.

G

Glacierskater

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">GRGRANNY:</span>
I am not what I would call young...maybe you would. I am 33 and I would have gladly offered my seat to you. I think that the older generations of this world are precious treasures. They have such knowledge, experience, and valuable lessons that the younger generations take for granted and overlook. And for that I am truly sorry. I love it when my grandparents talk of their younger days, and the things that they did to get by, especially during the Great Depression....(Grandma told me that that they used to use eyeliner to draw the seam up the back of their legs because they did not have pantyhose.)
It seems as though the times were more simple back then, and purer somehow. My grandmother and I have the same tastes at this point in our lives...music, movies, fashion. I think that I should have had my heyday in the 1930's and 1940's. I guess I will just have to keep sporting my cateyes, and cherishing our precious, more experienced generations.

L

Ladskater

I actually live in the suburbs of Vancouver, it's not as rural as it once was, but as one drives out towards the Fraser Valley, the smaller towns still exist and yes, there still is a drive in on the way to Langley. Aldergrove is still small although there are more businesses opening up, it still has that "small town" flavour. Langley is bustling, but is still referred to as "where the city meets the country" and considers itself a small town.

We still have plenty of small towns here and there in BC. If one travels up north, towards Prince George, there are many small towns in between.

I am a "small town" girl. I prefer a smaller place to live than where I am, but because of work, I am stuck!

Ladskater

If you see Andy Taylor or Opie and the gang be sure and say "hey" from me!

K

Kara Bear

I guess I can aay that I live in a small town. I grew up in Nova Scotia in a fair sized town. I spent a year in the Toronto area and have moved back home. I think people are friendlier out here. But everything else is the same. Kids out here still do drugs, boys still wearing baggy pants...my brother included.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I live in Kenai, Alaska... and depending on the time of year(tourist season or the rest of the year :lol: ) we can have anywhere from 5,000 to 7,000 population... and that includes North Kenai(known as Nikiski)

anywho...

In your small town do you still have Drive in theatres, Drive in restaurants?
I don't think we ever did :lol:

Do you have water mellons with seeds and that are good tasting, apples that are sweet and juicy?
While it is possible to grow them in Palmer as far as I know watermelons don't do too well here... same with apples :lol:

Do you have children that are raised to respect their elders. Do your teen-agers wear their pants up around the waist with their shirts tucked in?
Yes and no... in the churches(and not all of them... but mine) Children are taught to be respectable people... and they are disiplined accordingly... you bet we're on our best behavior(but no I don't tuck my shirt in... it make my chest look too big IMHO)

Is it looked down upon for people, especially children to use bad language, particularly graffic language?
YES and NO... depends on where and what you do.