KIMMIE or SASHA? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

KIMMIE or SASHA?

KIMMIE or SASHA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Definitely Kimmie.
She 's the future, already looks to me like her technique is more solid than Sasha's, and judging by what she did at the Marshall's Showcase, her grace and femininity are coming along FAST!
She also seems to actually have FUN skating, and doesn't seem to care if she's at the hometown pond or the Olympics.......which makes for the perfect competition mindset.
Nothing against Sasha, I'd love to see her in something like 'Swan Lake' (along the lines of 'Nutcracker on Ice', maybe), or in a movie, provided she puts on just a few pounds......:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Funny skating? I've heard people say terrible skating, flat skating, boring skating, even truck driver, but "funny skating"- that's certainly a new one :laugh:

Remember that the majority of the posters on this board are North American. But all I know is that here in the US many more skating fans prefer Cohen to Meissner. My personal opinion is that it's not a fair comparison because one has a developed style and the other doesn't.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Let's all remember to choose our words carefully, and remember not everyone has English for their first language on here... granted those of us who do are in teh majority, but let's keep that in mind...

As for people choosing Sasha over Kimmie - that's what makes skating great (and difficult to judge) it is completely subjective... what one person likes, another one won't...

that's why you see people cheering on Johnny Weir and not Evan Lysacek, even though they're gung ho USA skaters (or vice versa)

to ask people to all think the same way is not only boring, but it just flat out won't work. :laugh: Sasha has been around longer and as such has aqquired a big fan base... no doubt Kim(mie) will have just as big a following in no time ;)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Funny skating? I've heard people say terrible skating, flat skating, boring skating, even truck driver, but "funny skating"- that's certainly a new one :laugh:

Remember that the majority of the posters on this board are North American. But all I know is that here in the US many more skating fans prefer Cohen to Meissner. My personal opinion is that it's not a fair comparison because one has a developed style and the other doesn't.

Sasha skates for a medal,not for herself. She would be better actress than a skater.

Her smile is so not-real. And I personaly hate it. It dissapears when the program is finished.

She does skate funny, and her jumps are not very good at all.

People, face the true: you can like her, because of this or that, but she isn't good enough for a world champ! Simply isn't!

R.D.

Record Breaker
anything_for_skating said:
Sasha skates for a medal,not for herself. She would be better actress than a skater.

I will withhold judgement on her acting ability until I see her in a movie or show. However, indications tell me she can't be all that bad- she fake smiles her way onto the second-place podium all the time. Not everyone can do that. Only after this past Worlds could you tell that she really looked disappointed.

Her smile is so not-real. And I personaly hate it. It dissapears when the program is finished.

ITA. The only time I saw her genuinely happy was on the 06 Nats podium (and for good reason).

She does skate funny, and her jumps are not very good at all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "funny" here, but I'd put her jump (consistency) on par with the average top-level skater- on and off.

People, face the true: you can like her, because of this or that, but she isn't good enough for a world champ! Simply isn't!

Definitely well put. But I would like to add, maybe in the defense of the fans, that as long as the skater is pleasurable for you to watch, that's all that counts in being a fan. Of course you will have the "fair-weather" fans, but we all know those aren't true fans. The true test of how much of a fan you are of an athlete/team, IMO, is when they are having a rough season or period. Do you like him/her/them enough to continue to support them, or will you just blow like the wind and find another bandwagon to jump on? It's easy to just cheerlead when someone is having a good time. But it's not so easy to stick it out with someone who's struggling unless you REALLY like him/her.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RD I agree with your statement on fans wholeheartedly

if you're only worried about medals, that's not a fan of the skater, you're a fan of hte title...

TITLES AREN'T EVERYTHING...

maybe Sasha would disagree on that, maybe she wouldn't... unless you know her, you can only make assumptions... which I did for way too many years...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen has given many inconsistent statements (gee, what a shocker!) on where she stands re. titles. In some interviews she will say she wants a (insert World or Olympic here) title and say that it's important to her, but in other interviews she'll say some Kwanism like "it's not about the titles, it's about the journey." Whatever :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
all of the skaters do that from time to time

I'm not saying she doesn't want to win, but I find it hard to believe she's been through injuries, heartbreak, etc for so many years and not still have something other than a piece of gold keeping her from hanging it up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's ok to change your mind but I'm saying that she flops back and forth (from what I've seen) between the two. Usually you think one and then slowly change your mindset to the other (typically from titles to journey).

I think she's done. Unless there's some revelation, we've seen the last of her. At least for now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also wonder if Kimmie will continue until 2010 or whether she will want to go to school. Despite winning a title already I still think she can improve and become a force to be reckoned with.

Same with Emily, but she's not part of this thread.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kimmie seems to really enjoy skating and competing... I think she'll stick around

bruised

Rinkside
Kimmie (DUH!). :rofl: Sasha's skating is really going down. Kimmie's skating isn't juniorish at all anymore - she's the WORLD CHAMPION. Got that? In her first Worlds too!

Sure, Sasha may be flexible and all, but you're leaving something out. Jumps count, and Sasha doesn't have a perfect LP in this season.

Also, Sasha doesn't enjoy skating competing. She may 'say' so, but how do you know she doesn't? You can tell. Kimmie actually ENJOYS it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Also, Sasha doesn't enjoy skating competing. She may 'say' so, but how do you know she doesn't? You can tell. Kimmie actually ENJOYS it.

ITA. Let me say that again: ITA.

Time will tell. Kimmie's total competitive record so far in senior international events is

Eric Bompard -- 5th
NHK -- 5th
Olympics -- 6th
Worlds -- 1st

As for loving skating, what 16-year old doesn't?

Personally, I can't wait for the new season to begin and see what happens!

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's basically my outlook as well (re. Kimmie) but I'm not afraid to say things that others may be thinking but not say. And I'll take the necessary heat for it. It's "only figure skating", anyway.

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I will withhold judgement on her acting ability until I see her in a movie or show. However, indications tell me she can't be all that bad- she fake smiles her way onto the second-place podium all the time. Not everyone can do that. Only after this past Worlds could you tell that she really looked disappointed.

ITA. The only time I saw her genuinely happy was on the 06 Nats podium (and for good reason).

I'm not sure what you mean by "funny" here, but I'd put her jump (consistency) on par with the average top-level skater- on and off.

Definitely well put. But I would like to add, maybe in the defense of the fans, that as long as the skater is pleasurable for you to watch, that's all that counts in being a fan. Of course you will have the "fair-weather" fans, but we all know those aren't true fans. The true test of how much of a fan you are of an athlete/team, IMO, is when they are having a rough season or period. Do you like him/her/them enough to continue to support them, or will you just blow like the wind and find another bandwagon to jump on? It's easy to just cheerlead when someone is having a good time. But it's not so easy to stick it out with someone who's struggling unless you REALLY like him/her.

I'm sorry, dissapointed on the worlds? She shoud jump of joy when she finished 3rd after skating badly like that.

Now her jumps: She has the same flip and lutz, she is VERY often making mistakes on jumps,making them look like a begginer jumped them, and - I gotta say this: how can anyone say that her jumps are ok when, as one of the best skaters on the world, she makes mistake on double axel???????

About fans....probably a lot of people like her because she is a star now. As an example, me, I LOVE Carolina, and her ups, and her downs! I believe in her whatever happenes!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, dissapointed on the worlds? She shoud jump of joy when she finished 3rd after skating badly like that.

Theoretically, yes she should. In a deep field she would have been easily off the podium. Maybe 6th or 7th.

HOWEVER- that said, she was disappointed in her PERFORMANCE, not so much finishing 3rd. She controlled her own destiny and let it slip away....again.

And just as you love Carolina (by your own admission) and are willing to stick by her through thick and thin, others love Sasha and are willing to stick with her (or are they..?) through thick and thin.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
HOWEVER- that said, she was disappointed in her PERFORMANCE, not so much finishing 3rd. She controlled her own destiny and let it slip away....again.

exactly, she doesn't blame bad judging or a new system when she knows she had the chance and blew it. She doesn't blame pressure, or bad treatment from "republicans". She knows who's to blame.

Just because you see her faults and they are too big for you to overcome and enjoy what she does bring to skating, a lot of others can look past and enjoy her talent. It's all SUBJECTIVE and nothing to get your tights in a knot over. Breathe :)

Lanie

On the Ice
We all know AFS hates Sasha Cohen and Americans, so whatever. She just doesn't have those jumps. So? I can appreciate the beauty in her skating, her emotion, her movement - the elegance Kimmie doesn't have. At 16 Sasha had more elegance in her pinky finger than Kimmie does. Kimmie's coltish and moves like a junior skater; I think she'll improve since she seems determined to do so, but right now Kimmie's all about the jumps. It'll keep her in good stead, though, unless she gets properly dinged for those bad 3/3s.

If Sasha skates for a medal only...that's the biggest pece of crap I've ever heard. She's stuck it through all these bad times, getting put down, etc. I'd say that if she was only skating to win stuff she'd have been gone a long time ago because she isn't doing it. Putting yourself through all the stress and competition and such when you're just in it to win and you really hate it? Yeah. Sure, she wants to win but I do see joy in her skating. Consistency is rare...and skaters like Sasha, with the artistry, the flexibility, the grace, are also rare.

And as an American, doesn't mean I don't have to like other skaters. My fave dance team's from Scotland. I like Carolina Kostner a lot, she's a sweetheart. I love some of the Russian skaters, like Plushenko, and my all time fave pair team is Gordeeva and Grinkov. The only American skater I really like is Sasha...and Matt Savoie but he's gone. :(