149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimmie

68 45.64%
  • Sasha

81 54.36%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: KIMMIE or SASHA?

Down With It
    I also wonder if Kimmie will continue until 2010 or whether she will want to go to school. Despite winning a title already I still think she can improve and become a force to be reckoned with.

Same with Emily, but she's not part of this thread.

Kimmie seems to really enjoy skating and competing... I think she'll stick around

Rinkside
    Kimmie (DUH!). Sasha's skating is really going down. Kimmie's skating isn't juniorish at all anymore - she's the WORLD CHAMPION. Got that? In her first Worlds too!

Sure, Sasha may be flexible and all, but you're leaving something out. Jumps count, and Sasha doesn't have a perfect LP in this season.

Also, Sasha doesn't enjoy skating competing. She may 'say' so, but how do you know she doesn't? You can tell. Kimmie actually ENJOYS it.

Down With It
    Also, Sasha doesn't enjoy skating competing. She may 'say' so, but how do you know she doesn't? You can tell. Kimmie actually ENJOYS it.
    ITA. Let me say that again: ITA.

Time will tell. Kimmie's total competitive record so far in senior international events is

Eric Bompard -- 5th
    NHK -- 5th
    Olympics -- 6th
    Worlds -- 1st

As for loving skating, what 16-year old doesn't?

Personally, I can't wait for the new season to begin and see what happens!

MM

Down With It
    That's basically my outlook as well (re. Kimmie) but I'm not afraid to say things that others may be thinking but not say. And I'll take the necessary heat for it. It's "only figure skating", anyway.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    I will withhold judgement on her acting ability until I see her in a movie or show. However, indications tell me she can't be all that bad- she fake smiles her way onto the second-place podium all the time. Not everyone can do that. Only after this past Worlds could you tell that she really looked disappointed.

ITA. The only time I saw her genuinely happy was on the 06 Nats podium (and for good reason).

I'm not sure what you mean by "funny" here, but I'd put her jump (consistency) on par with the average top-level skater- on and off.

Definitely well put. But I would like to add, maybe in the defense of the fans, that as long as the skater is pleasurable for you to watch, that's all that counts in being a fan. Of course you will have the "fair-weather" fans, but we all know those aren't true fans. The true test of how much of a fan you are of an athlete/team, IMO, is when they are having a rough season or period. Do you like him/her/them enough to continue to support them, or will you just blow like the wind and find another bandwagon to jump on? It's easy to just cheerlead when someone is having a good time. But it's not so easy to stick it out with someone who's struggling unless you REALLY like him/her.

I'm sorry, dissapointed on the worlds? She shoud jump of joy when she finished 3rd after skating badly like that.

Now her jumps: She has the same flip and lutz, she is VERY often making mistakes on jumps,making them look like a begginer jumped them, and - I gotta say this: how can anyone say that her jumps are ok when, as one of the best skaters on the world, she makes mistake on double axel???????

About fans....probably a lot of people like her because she is a star now. As an example, me, I LOVE Carolina, and her ups, and her downs! I believe in her whatever happenes!

Down With It
    I'm sorry, dissapointed on the worlds? She shoud jump of joy when she finished 3rd after skating badly like that.
    Theoretically, yes she should. In a deep field she would have been easily off the podium. Maybe 6th or 7th.

HOWEVER- that said, she was disappointed in her PERFORMANCE, not so much finishing 3rd. She controlled her own destiny and let it slip away....again.

And just as you love Carolina (by your own admission) and are willing to stick by her through thick and thin, others love Sasha and are willing to stick with her (or are they..?) through thick and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    HOWEVER- that said, she was disappointed in her PERFORMANCE, not so much finishing 3rd. She controlled her own destiny and let it slip away....again.
    exactly, she doesn't blame bad judging or a new system when she knows she had the chance and blew it. She doesn't blame pressure, or bad treatment from "republicans". She knows who's to blame.

Just because you see her faults and they are too big for you to overcome and enjoy what she does bring to skating, a lot of others can look past and enjoy her talent. It's all SUBJECTIVE and nothing to get your tights in a knot over. Breathe

Skater Girl
    We all know AFS hates Sasha Cohen and Americans, so whatever. She just doesn't have those jumps. So? I can appreciate the beauty in her skating, her emotion, her movement - the elegance Kimmie doesn't have. At 16 Sasha had more elegance in her pinky finger than Kimmie does. Kimmie's coltish and moves like a junior skater; I think she'll improve since she seems determined to do so, but right now Kimmie's all about the jumps. It'll keep her in good stead, though, unless she gets properly dinged for those bad 3/3s.

If Sasha skates for a medal only...that's the biggest pece of crap I've ever heard. She's stuck it through all these bad times, getting put down, etc. I'd say that if she was only skating to win stuff she'd have been gone a long time ago because she isn't doing it. Putting yourself through all the stress and competition and such when you're just in it to win and you really hate it? Yeah. Sure, she wants to win but I do see joy in her skating. Consistency is rare...and skaters like Sasha, with the artistry, the flexibility, the grace, are also rare.

And as an American, doesn't mean I don't have to like other skaters. My fave dance team's from Scotland. I like Carolina Kostner a lot, she's a sweetheart. I love some of the Russian skaters, like Plushenko, and my all time fave pair team is Gordeeva and Grinkov. The only American skater I really like is Sasha...and Matt Savoie but he's gone. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan
    I like Sasha better. Now that Kimmie's triple axel is gone, nothing sets her apart.
    What makes you so sure her triple axle is gone? And what makes you think that only a triple axle can set her apart? Kimmie has many skills and qualities in her skating that set her apart.

As for the choice at hand, well, Sasha has many qualities which set her apart as well. But looking to the future, I see Kimmie catching up rapidly. Right this very minute? The edge to Sasha.

so is the new rivalry that of Sasha and Kimmie now that Michelle's sun seems to be setting?

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    re. Kimmie's triple axel: First of all, the only time I ever saw her do one was at the Portland Nationals, and if the other attempts she made at them in competition looked anything like that, one could debate as to whether she actually has/had the thing at all.

That being said -- Kimmie herself said it was her decision not to work on the axel this season as she wanted to concentrate on being more consistent and making her overall program and presentation better, it being an Oly year and all. It certainly paid off. IMO, she showed a lot more maturity in her skating than she did last season, and even the improvement she made between Nats and Olys was quite impressive. No, she's not Sasha, but she too has her own precense out there that is getting stronger all the time. Sasha, for all her mishaps, has a unique style all her own and because of that it seems a bit odd to compare her to Kimmie, whose style is so different.

What I can see coming, tho, especially if Michelle drops out of the picture, is the old "artist vs. athlete" thing coming into play among the US ladies, like Zayak vs. Sumners, Thomas vs. Trenary, Harding vs. Kerrigan, and Lipinski vs. Kwan. We haven't had much of that the last few years with Michelle and Sasha going head to head.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    We all know AFS hates Sasha Cohen and Americans, so whatever.

um???????????????????
    I don't like Sasha's skating, and it's true. But it's not true that I don't like other skaters. True, I also don't like Huges sisters, neither liked Kwan too much. But Kimmie is excellent, I adore her jumps and skating.
    I also like Tara Lipinski very much. I know, when I look at the tapes, she is nothing comparing to what are girls now, but I really like her.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    re. Kimmie's triple axel: First of all, the only time I ever saw her do one was at the Portland Nationals, and if the other attempts she made at them in competition looked anything like that, one could debate as to whether she actually has/had the thing at all.
    Her 3Axel is practice was way better than her LP one

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast